PDA

View Full Version : Bowl jaw extensions

turnerted
8th June 2013, 03:27 PM
G'day
I decided to make a set of bowl jaw extensions to hold my eccentric bowls while cleaning up the foot.
I purchased 8 bolts 50mm long to fit my Vicmarc cole jaws from an engineering supply shop. These bolts are called "capscrew socket head M6"and cost just over a dollar each.I purchased a pack of 10 door bump stops from Bunnies ,$9.
I turned up bits of wood 45mm longX 31mm diam. to fit inside these and bored a 6mm hole through each and a recess for the socket head to fit into.Before parting the last one off,I pushed each stopper on and used a skew to cut the stoppers a bit shorter than the inserts. I also used a forstner bit to bore a hole in the top of the stopper to enable access to the bolt.
Coincidently,this months American Woodturner has a similar design but useing plastic wine bottle stoppers. It might be more fun providing these than buying door stops from Bunnies.
Ted

wheelinround
8th June 2013, 05:04 PM
Ted nice job like the idea of the ribbed stoppers gives an edge to sit a finished platter away from the metal behind if need be.

Tim the Timber Turner
10th June 2013, 11:16 AM
G'day
I decided to make a set of bowl jaw extensions to hold my eccentric bowls

Eccentric bowls?

Concentric maybe.

Cheers

Tim:)

turnerted
10th June 2013, 05:13 PM
No Tim,eccentric. See my post 13/04/13 .
The inner bowl is eccentric to the outer edge and the top edge of the bowl is not in the same plane as the base, hence the need to hold the bowl by the outer edge.
Ted

smiife
10th June 2013, 05:26 PM
hi ted,
what a simple solution,i like that idea
well done !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:
cheers smiife:2tsup:

hughie
11th June 2013, 08:06 PM
Nice one Ted, good bit thinking out side the square. :2tsup:

vtbao
18th June 2013, 10:55 AM