PDA

View Full Version : rod racks

kaza
10th May 2005, 08:20 PM
I would like to make some fishing rod racks that can hold 20 odd fishing rods but have no plans:(
i would like them to look like this>>> >>>>>>>>>>

>>>> >>>> http://www.daiwa.com/tackle/accessories/rod.rack/

Model
NumberDescriptionSizeRetail PriceRR32Daiwa 32 Rod Rack32 Rods115.95

Zed
10th May 2005, 09:51 PM
why do you need plans ? you've got a picture... think about it.

all you need you can work out from the pic;

you can get pine cheap enough from bunnings,

estimate the size - 20 rods ? 10 per side? include reels ? allow about 18 or 20 cm between centres and work out how wide by how high... get the timber you need, if you need to use a bit of graph paper for the scale.

probably use boards 19mm thick and whatever wide.

you could probably get away with about 10 lineal metres of pine from bunnies say about 19mm x 200mm boards - if you ask they'll cut it to 1m lengths removingh your workload a bit. whats that cost ? i dont know - not much probably. get your old man to pay. or get some fence palings if they are not treated pine and you dont mind rough sawn - get hardwood palings.

you can work out the design by drawing half circles in the horizontals

cut them with a hole saw - dont be impatient with it... let the holesaw cut slowly - like squeezing a young... :D :D - dont force it through the wood or it will burn - a bit like you 16 yr olds... :D :D

round the corners / edges with a file and sandpaper.

you'll be able to do this at home with bugger all tools :
tape measure,
ruler,
something to trace an appropriate circle
a coping saw? or a hole saw
a hand rip saw
power drill
screwdriver etc...

or use your schools facilities - you could pre drill and cut your half circles using the drill press

as a last resort - try your teacher or one of the other ones at school that you might get along better with (In case your teacher and you dont get along) they'll probably help you design it if you make a genuine attempt at designing it yourself.

I'd also suggest using long screws into pre drilled holes . dont expect to finish in 10 minutes and you'll be sweet ?

ah.... youth...... we must nurture them bubba... else they turn to evil and then we MUST PUNISH THEM!!!@#HWEFHH O:IEQWF:OH:O AARRRHRHHHHHGGGGGHGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!*%%^!&!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!FaRGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kaza
11th May 2005, 06:12 PM
thanks ZED would normly do it like that but my teacher wonts a plan with 3 views and a cuting list.I would like to put it together with dowell (useing a doweling jig??)??. wood wont be a prob as my dad likes to collect it (it'l come in handy some day)and im not the best drawer so i was hoping some one had some plans:D or some one could draw some up for me:rolleyes: lol j j

Zed
12th May 2005, 07:24 PM
hey mate - are you going to give me money to draw your plans ? thats the real world dude... them people are called designers or architects... theres no silver platter out there unless your name is hilton, packer or murdoch.

if your truley intent on cheating theres plenty of plans available on the net or in books from the library. it not real hard to draw a few straight lines and some circles is it ???

heres a tip - gtet some graph paper, make a drawing where 10 cm - 100mm scale (1 to 10 scale) and youll be done before your finished swearing at me for having the hide to suggest you should do it yourself :D

kaza
12th May 2005, 07:34 PM
its ok zed i was just jokeing lol would work teacher said my drawrings wernt that bad just messy but thank anny way.

Zed
12th May 2005, 08:04 PM
no problem dude.

see ? I can connect with the young'ins.!

Tikki
13th May 2005, 10:30 PM
Hi kaza

This might help you

http://www.bhg.com.au/display.cfm?objectid=85AA2F76-0E9A-4851-A1AE67E227670109&navid=A051D0EE-7710-4124-B241262E3DDA74D5

Regards
Tikki :)

arose62
14th May 2005, 08:41 AM
To save drawing & cutting half-circles, you could cut a row of full circles, then rip the board in half down the middle of the circles.

You could also go to Kmart, or any fishing tackle store, and take measurements from their displays...

Cheers,
Andrew

boban
15th May 2005, 02:24 AM
no problem dude.

see ? I can connect with the young'ins.!
Ya kidin arnt ya. Yo spelins not good enuf dude.

I thought for a minute there Zed you would draw it, make it so that you could show the construction steps, carve his name into it so that he could have more time to play Xbox or do somefin else......How the hell do you expect him to learn if you dont pull your weight...

kaza
18th May 2005, 10:38 PM
sorry boban but we dont all have a xbox and i dont wont one, i just fish and run round on my farm and play soccer, dude! or wot ever you think we say

Stuart
19th May 2005, 12:13 AM
good retort!

boban
19th May 2005, 12:53 AM
sorry boban but we dont all have a xbox and i dont wont one, i just fish and run round on my farm and play soccer, dude! or wot ever you think we say
You'll note that "dude" came from Zed, the one connecting with the young-ins. I was taking the pi$$ out of the way you young-ins intentionally misspell words on forums, SMS's etc...

You'll also note that I said playing Xbox or somefin else. This would mean an alternative such as playing soccer or fishing or anything not connected to your homework. Been there done that... I know you said you were joking, I read your post or did I forget to add LOL at the end of my post. Sorry about that.

Good luck with your rack, post the pics when dad finishes it for you. Oh and before I forget... LOL:D

Tikki
19th May 2005, 11:41 AM
Onya kaza! :)
C'mon guys! You know they don't teach spelling like they did when we were young. The kid just wants to learn woodwork, so surely us olds can show some respect and help. Besides, how do you know kaza is not a young lady? Would you be giving her a hard time about spelling, or would you all be lined up outside her Dad's workshop to help??? ;) ;) :D

bitingmidge
19th May 2005, 12:07 PM
Besides, how do you know kaza is not a young lady? Would you be giving her a hard time about spelling, or would you all be lined up outside her Dad's workshop to help???

I'd be delighted to help, after she'd learnt her spelling for the day.

P

;)

Tikki
19th May 2005, 12:10 PM
I'd be delighted to help, after she'd learnt her spelling for the day.

P

;)
Hey Midge, perhaps you could give spelling lessons too! ;)