PDA

View Full Version : Some pepper grinder blanks

dai sensei
9th June 2013, 06:50 PM
Been working on an engineering presentation I have to give later this week, but made good progress today and thought I deserved a break :rolleyes:. Fitted a new blade to the bandsaw, the last one broke, and attacked a few chunks of timber I have lying around from the macadamia farms. I owe the farmers some pepper grinders, so sliced some blanks off at 80mm sq then rough turned them on the lathe to 70-75mm round.

I'll let them air dry tonight, they are very green still (cedar and mac only cut last week), then tomorrow wax the ends and throw them in the dehydrator. Might take some with me to Q-Turn next weekend to turn. Some have defects, but they are just features to me, so will get filled with something once dry although some will turn out.

L-R: Blackbean (with nice fiddle), Red Ash (with some spalted sapwood), Red Cedar, Macadamia

Cheers

wood hacker
9th June 2013, 07:33 PM
Love the black bean and the cedar. How long will they take in the dehydrator??

dai sensei
9th June 2013, 09:22 PM
How long will they take in the dehydrator??

Good question :U. Hopefully next week I can tell you :rolleyes:

artme
9th June 2013, 09:55 PM
How much experience have you had with Macadamia Neil??

I ask because it is a bugger for splitting, even when you reckon
it shouldn't because it is well and truly dry.

Pity. It's a beautiful timber when turned.

dai sensei
9th June 2013, 10:32 PM
How much experience have you had with Macadamia Neil??

I ask because it is a bugger for splitting, even when you reckon
it shouldn't because it is well and truly dry.

Pity. It's a beautiful timber when turned.

Only pens, but yes I am aware of its splitting issues, just like most of the nuts & fruit trees. I only intend drying one in the dehydrator, the other I will leave to my laundry, where I dry a number of cranky timbers.

tdrumnut
9th June 2013, 10:43 PM
Yummy set of blanks Neil, Macrocarpa is one of my favorite timbers can't wait to see them finished.

dai sensei
10th June 2013, 10:00 AM
Well they are all sealed and in the dehydrator at only 100 degrees F drying slowly. I will be keeping a close eye on progress to avoid cracking.

Macrocarpa is one of my favorite timbers..

:?

fubar
10th June 2013, 11:32 AM
Any chance of a go to whoa picture shoot or video on how you make your peppermills?

dai sensei
10th June 2013, 02:31 PM
Any chance of a go to whoa picture shoot or video on how you make your peppermills?

Could take a while, but yes a WIP thread can be arranged.

dr4g0nfly
11th June 2013, 06:27 AM
I love the colour of that Red Cedar - wow.

As for blanks spitting. Have you considered putting a Jubilee Clip (Hose Clamp) around each end to prevent it while drying?

Cliff Rogers
11th June 2013, 08:34 AM
Do you weight them & note the weight to know when they stop loosing water or do you use a moisture meter?

dai sensei
11th June 2013, 11:26 AM
I love the colour of that Red Cedar - wow.

As for blanks spitting. Have you considered putting a Jubilee Clip (Hose Clamp) around each end to prevent it while drying?

Shame the red now of the cedar won't last. Hose clips, great idea, have to get some. The blanks have been in for a day at 100F and no signs of cracking. I have cranked it up to 150F

Do you weight them & note the weight to know when they stop loosing water or do you use a moisture meter?

I have a moisture meter, but doubt it will be much use on something so thick, weighing them is a good idea.