PDA

View Full Version : Compound mitre saw comparison/review.

Eastie
3rd June 2002, 03:43 PM
There was a link posted in one of the forums within the past year to a US site containing a detailed review of 10 or so different sliding compound mitre saws.
I’ve searched but can’t find it.

Anyone got any ideas which site this was/could be???

The main issue of interest was the pro’s/cons of (sliding) dewalt v’s makita.

On another issue I've looked at the metabo (and their other brand), which seems to me like mutton dressed up as lamb as far as features go. Anyone had any experience with them ?

[This message has been edited by Eastie (edited 03 June 2002).]

soundman
3rd June 2002, 09:05 PM
The reason the metabo and electra beckum looh so similar is that metabo recently purchased the company.
In other countries the saw is available in both brands in both forms.
The electra beckum is an excelent saw. I have used a friends a lot and have found it very precise and extreemly quiet.
I have ordered one & hope to pick it up tomorrow.
In this country the base model is sold as the E.B. and the fully accesorised unit is sold as metabo.
good points http://www.ubeaut.biz/thumbupwink.gif
Very accurate
cuts mitres past 45deg. (Correction doesn't I was thinking of his othe saw an old ryobi.)
very smooth and quiet.
efective dust extraction.
Bad points http://www.ubeaut.biz/thumbdown.gif
doesn't come up to speed as fast as a builder boys saw
rails prone to corrosion

I would not recommend the E.B. as general building site saw.
If you want a very accurate smmmoth machine i'll have one TVM.
Very much favoured for use with aluminium.

new toy for me tomorrow.

http://www.ubeaut.biz/offwall.gif

[This message has been edited by soundman (edited 05 June 2002).]

Eastie
4th June 2002, 01:22 PM
For my dollar the elctra and metabo don't have the blade size and dual angle, dual mitre versatility of the makita and dewalt.

I think on noise levels I'll go with makita, although it lacks the extra inch of capacity.

I've also come across the site again: http://popularmechanics.com/home_improvement/tools/2001/2/miter_saws_test/index.phtml

soundman
4th June 2002, 10:30 PM
I do agree that the EB is a litle short on depth of cut.
I does only compound mitre to the left.
Sounds like makita, hitachi, ect for you.

Rod Smith
6th June 2002, 12:06 AM
G'day
Never quit got to buying a scms, but read a lot, makita seems to get the no 1 spot, with a toss up for closish second between hitachi and dewalt. Though I often favour hitachi over makita, I reckon the mak looks better in this case.
cheers
Rod

Glen Bridger
8th June 2002, 07:34 PM
I found out something interesting last week-end. Timbecon sell a Compound Slide Saw for $599. It looks very much like a Makita saw.
And guess what? Its made in Korea on a parallel production line to the Makita LS1013. The only differences are the color of the motor case, the saw blade safety guard and trigger guard. The latter two having Patents to Makita. Everything else including the motor are the same, and all for about half the price of the Makita.

Glen

soundman
8th June 2002, 09:56 PM
I've just done the first work with my new metabo KGS ( electra beckum ), its delightfull, quiet, smooth, and accurate. http://www.ubeaut.biz/aroused.gif
If you had never used one of these you probably would never buy one.
Which brings me to the point, if it realy matters to you wat to buy, you've got to try it.
The metabo KGS would probably frustrate the hell out of the average builder as a framing saw but for me its great.
I know because I had used one before.

Try before you buy http://www.ubeaut.biz/bow.gif

Eastie
11th June 2002, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Glenn, how could you. I'd finally decided to go with the makita 1212 and you throw this in http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/mad.gif

Interesting how they get more capacity out of a 255mm (sherwood) compared to a 305mm blade (makita 1212):

330x95 mm @90degrees - 255 mm
310x98 mm @90degrees - 305 mm

- especially using the standard makita base.

Next Question: Has anybody got any dirt on "Sherwood" gear?
http://www.timbecon.com.au/productsdetail.asp?sectid=12506&parentid=12471&prodid=27557

Being $600 cheaper than the 1212 I might just hold on and see what I can find out. No use taking a reaming if there is no need.

[This message has been edited by Eastie (edited 11 June 2002).]

Vinkoi
11th June 2002, 04:00 PM
I have seen both the Makita and Sherwood machines side by side at our local hardware shop, and yes they do look similar, except colour of the motor housing.

But, always a but. http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/frown.gif
The Sherwood's finish certainly is not anywere as good as the makita's, for example to table top is not ground to a mirror finish but ground enough to be flat then painted, and the blade guard release is a tad awkward

Vinkoi

George
11th June 2002, 05:19 PM
I have had the Makita LS1013 for several years. I think it is great for the work I do (bit of furniture and renovations).
The Makita saws also get the thumbs up from Neil Scobie in the current edition of Australian Woodworker.

I wouldn't buy any Sherwood gear until it has some sort of track record for performance, service etc. I had similar reservations about Carba-Tec gear 5 years ago, but they have proven to be reasonbly good value. The jury is probably still out on Sherwood.

John Saxton
20th June 2002, 08:49 PM
Just to throw another spanner in the works here I was going over some of my recent but late arrivals of magazines and the The Woodworker mag out of the UK gave the thumbs up to the DeWalt DW 708 with the Makita LS1013 a close second ...none of the other saws getting a mention in the final wrap-up,the scheppach and Electra Beckum included.
Cheers http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Johnno

TOMARTOM
21st June 2002, 11:06 PM
For my two cents worth,I thought about a radial arm saw(second hand), but decided on a Hitachi 8 1/4" slide compound mitre saw, sure the model has been out a few years, maybee 8+, but cuts 300 X 75mm and accutate, sturdy, and the price was good($719.00)

I would steer away from the cheaper SCMS, especially those that have only one slide Bar.

cheers

Tony

BrianR
24th June 2002, 10:10 AM
I've had a DW708 for a while now and love it. It is very stable and will cut fine shavings off an end and does just as well on 110mm square spotted gum and jarrah. It has a dust extractor nozzle but I find that it's awkward to use the compound / miter movement without the hose getting in the way. Probably if I brought the hose down from above that would work better.

Yip
24th June 2002, 12:04 PM
Sherwood is Timbecon's own label so you won't be able to find it anywhere else unless the retailer is a Timbecon agent. They cheap Chinese and or Taiwanese machines badged to Timbecon's own specs.

There is a TWM(??) branded machine around which appears identical to the Makita but with different motor specs. It was under $500 at my local mitre ten.

Eastie
24th June 2002, 02:28 PM
After looking around I decided to stick with Makita (10"). The cheaper units based up its chasis looked ok, but I'll stick with an old saying that comes up here now and then - "buy cheap, buy twice".
As for Dewalt, it's probably been said before but why pay more for something that is at best equal to, but not better ?

As for the metabo (and electra becum) I used one the other day setup in a roof truss works. After giving it a go I have to agree with soundman that they are a very smooth & quiet counpound saw for mitre drop saw cutting.

Thanks for the replies.

[This message has been edited by Eastie (edited 24 June 2002).]

Shane Watson
24th June 2002, 03:48 PM
The makita 10inch is on special at glenfords at the moment for under the $500 mark. Not sure which model # though. Think its the one everyone is talking about.
Cheers.

Rod Smith
27th June 2002, 11:40 PM
G'day Shane
That would be the cms not the scms at that price.
cheers
Rod

coastie
30th June 2002, 05:45 PM
Having just off loaded my triton,I am looking for a good sliding compound mitre saw.
Looked at the Makita ls1212 but it is too big for what I want,which is probably the next step back from that(10")The Hitachi looks pretty good,anybody had any practical experience with this size saw?
I am travelling to Perth for a month so will check out Timbecon while I am over there.
Drove over there last time (Dec 2001).
31/2 days of looking at dead kangaroos and bloody crows,so am taking advantage of Virgin Blue's cheap net fares this time.

Shane Watson
30th June 2002, 05:59 PM
Hey Coastie, check out qantas's website, they offer cheaper fares than virginblue online.

Rod, your probably right mate I didn't pay much attention to models etc just the price as I will be looking for one in the net month or two but I am leaning towards the Dewalt my makita is crap so it dosn't help when looking at replacing it.

Cheers!

coastie
1st July 2002, 05:44 PM
Shane:
Couldn't get Qantas for the dates I wanted,
booked till the 16th July.
Virgin still heaps cheaper only problem is no feed during the flight,only Muffins$2.50 each,coffee $2.50 cup,so will eat at Macca's Sydney airport before take off.

TOMARTOM
2nd July 2002, 02:50 PM
I have a Hitachi SCMS 81/4 inch cost $719.00 from Bunnings, they price matched another tool supplier and reduced it aniother 10%. I needed the 300mm crosscut, but noto a large depth of cut(approx 65mm, it is accurate been sold for a number of years.

Note: It only compund cuts to the left, some other larger saws compound both left and right.

cheers

Tony

PEN
6th July 2002, 10:49 PM
Hi,
Just to add a little more to the confusion of this debate. I am by choice a Hitachi devotee. I was alsolooking for a new scmsand had nearly settled on another Hitachi 81/4" when I found a little known Makita model LS0711B. 190mm blade and obviously slightly smaller but just asmaller brother to the big guys. $690 at Parra Power Tools. I also have a Sherwood 300mm scms for the rough stuff and two Shopsmith 10ER machines. For small joinery work( not carpentry) this model Makita is excellent.
Regards
Paul.

craigb
5th August 2002, 03:36 PM
Does anyone have any experience of the Ryobi that's on the market at the moment for around $300? I realise that you generally get what you pay for, but as a hobiest it's dificult to justify the expense of the Makita, Dewalt et al and this machine has 1400w motor and 300mm cut at 90 deg.

Mick4412
5th August 2002, 05:04 PM
Try this site www.woodworking2.org/ (http://www.woodworking2.org/)
then go to Tool Survey

May be the one that you're looking for

fxst
5th August 2002, 11:56 PM
Virgin still heaps cheaper only problem is no feed during the flight,only Muffins$2.50 each,coffee $2.50 cup,so will eat at Macca's Sydney airport before take off.

[/B][/QUOTE]

Coastie no probs went adel to gold coast last year on virgin did what the poms do took a thermos and sangers Virgin has no probs with that and beats crappas... oops maccas.... hands down

Iain
6th August 2002, 03:48 PM
I have refrained from replying as I have only had said saw for a few days but it has had a hiding in its short life and is holding up OK.
10" blade, 1800w motor, nice slide, solid build and indexing on angles with lock. Slide lock. Weighs a ton and appears to be of solid construction. 40 tooth 5 degree negative rake blade, not the smoothest but adequate.
Done some 45 degree mitre cuts to make boxes to fit into brick cutouts in the house to hide the edges, going on the market soon and need a nice quick neat professional looking cleanup.
Want to buy a house, will throw in saw at the right price http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/biggrin.gif

This is the beast below, BUnnies ran out but I believe they have more coming soon at $299.00. I think its a good price and $800 to the nearest competitor.
Regards Iain.
http://community.webshots.com/photo/36893052/45466236fooxlS

zathras
6th August 2002, 08:49 PM
Was in Carbatec (Melb) the other day and they had a 10" dual rail SCMS that looked very much like the Makita, even down to the paint job, but only had a price tag of $395.

If I already didn't own a SCMS, that BTW looks very much like your's Iain, I would be seriously considering it.

Cheers Ray

John G
9th August 2002, 12:37 AM
To CraigB, trying to answer your question about the $300 Ryobi scms... I don't think the given US link is for the same saw.
I have only had mine a short time, and it's my first one, so I can't really compare to anything. I agree, as a hobbyist, I can't justify $700+ dollars for one. But I did a few comparisons before I bought, and concluded it was so cheap for the following reasons:
- it only has a single slider. I wondered if in a few years with some wear&tear the saw will start to tip because of the asymmetric loading. I think this was my biggest concern.
- it only compounds in one direction.
- parts of the base are plastic (specifically, the part of the "blade track" that extends off the circular table - Hmmm - I haven't explained that very well)
- the 1500W saw is probably comparable to a $150 circular saw (but hey, it still works)
- the mitre-locking mechanism is at the rear and doesn't really "click" into 0, 15, 30 etc very well.
I figured that I could probably live with all these if it meant saving $400. So so far, no problems. Plus, I've never been disappointed with Ryobi (it's not like I was buying Ozito!), so long as you steer clear of the "handyman" or "command-force" range. OK, so you're not buying Dewalt, but I think it's still good quality. Hope that helps.
John.

Eastie
26th September 2002, 05:01 PM
Revival of an old post but I've seen Carbatec have the Makita look-alike with Carbatec badges for half the cost of the former.
Probably similar story to the Timbecon that GlenB mentioned. If the base and arms are the same as the Makita it'd be well worth a close look if you’re in the market for one at around the $600 range.

DarrylF
26th September 2002, 08:55 PM
I bought a DeWalt, but I wish I'd spent the extra for a Makita or probably a Bosch. I saw the Bosch the other day for around $870 I think.

The DeWalt was prety cheap at around $400, and is solid & accurate - but the noise I hate.

soundman
26th September 2002, 09:53 PM
I still like my metabo/electra becham.

Smmoooth yea baby.