PDA

View Full Version : My test indicator has a problem

nearnexus
11th June 2013, 04:44 PM
I caught a rag on my CTC test indicator a while back and now the little ball tipped probe is at a strange angle. See photo.

Everything works as it should but the probe is not horizontal.

Can these things be repositioned ?

Rob

Bryan
11th June 2013, 04:47 PM
Yes. Be firm.

nearnexus
11th June 2013, 04:49 PM
Yes. Be firm.

How so ?

I don't understand what's required.

Rob

Bryan
11th June 2013, 04:54 PM
Grasp the stylus near the base and push it in the direction you wish it to go.

pipeclay
11th June 2013, 04:57 PM
They are designed to move through a certain range,just as stated apply pressure with your finger to position it where you require it,should be able to move through about 90 degrees,it may be firm but they need to be otherwise it would be like a co-k in a sock.

Dave J
11th June 2013, 05:15 PM
As said above just push it back, they are designed to be moved to suit the job. If your doing it for the first time you will be nervous, but it will be fine.
They have a built in stop which stops it breaking anything inside.

Dave

Stustoys
11th June 2013, 05:18 PM
As above with pictures.

nearnexus
11th June 2013, 05:19 PM
Just went down to the shed and tried it.

All OK now.

Thanks for that. I wasn't game to try putting pressure on it before asking. Didn't wish to break it.

Quite a good little indicator for the money.

Looks like I learnt something today.

Cheers all

Rob

Stustoys
11th June 2013, 05:32 PM
While you're in the learning frame of mind.
Incase you want an absolute number.

"What's wrong with my test indicator?" A cosine error discussion (http://store.gaging.com/blog/whats-wrong-with-my-test-indicator-a-cosine-error-discussion.html)

Stuart

nearnexus
11th June 2013, 05:41 PM
While you're in the learning frame of mind.
Stuart

Thanks Stuart. Yes, I'm up on on the cos factor.

Cheers

Rob

.RC.
11th June 2013, 07:02 PM
I remember the same thing on my first dial indicator... It is not what you expect to be able to do with such a precision instrument..

rodweb
11th June 2013, 09:12 PM
I remember the same thing on my first dial indicator... It is not what you expect to be able to do with such a precision instrument..

X 2 but very handy when you eventually work it out I found.

Jekyll and Hyde
11th June 2013, 10:07 PM
Well, this thread just made my indicator a hell of a lot more useful.... Now I know how people manage to use them to indicate all kinds of things in, I could rarely set it up in any kind of useful fashion.

Pete F
11th June 2013, 10:12 PM
I've repaired a number of these lately ... well quite a number actually (don't ask). Inside is a little "fork" arrangement that provides the limit stop and auto-reversing. Once the "fork" reaches the limit it stops, so no strain is being placed on the actual clock mechanism inside. If anyone is curious, pop the side cover off and see how they work, I thought it was actually quite simple and clever.

Pete