PDA

View Full Version : australian woodturning exhibition

mick61
13th June 2013, 11:31 AM
Gday how many forum members have entered this year?
Mick :D

Mobyturns
13th June 2013, 07:52 PM
I have - still elligible for Intermediate after a rule change. 9 pieces to make up the numbers more than anything.

smiife
13th June 2013, 08:26 PM
hi guys,
could anyone give us more details, how,, when,, where.. etc,,
any linky things, any more info????? many thanks,,
cheers smiife:2tsup:

DJ’s Timber
13th June 2013, 08:30 PM
hi guys,
could anyone give us more details, how,, when,, where.. etc,,
any linky things, any more info????? many thanks,,

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f12/australian-woodturning-exhibition-172175/

smiife
13th June 2013, 08:41 PM
thanks DJ.

powderpost
13th June 2013, 08:51 PM
I have an entry too.
Jim

Tony Morton
13th June 2013, 10:29 PM
Yes I've got four this year haven't much that I could consider but I'm in there keen to see results.

Cheers tony

tea lady
13th June 2013, 11:27 PM
I also have a couple of pieces in Intermediate this year. :cool:

nz_carver
14th June 2013, 07:14 AM
Judging was done last night from what I'm told.

Mulgabill
14th June 2013, 09:47 AM
I only know of one result and it is that Daryle Broadhurst won, 1st Spindle Turned piece, 1st Acacia Turning and Best of Show all for the same piece a Ferris Wheel of over 400 pieces.:2tsup: It is worth a look!:o

tea lady
14th June 2013, 09:57 AM
I only know of one result and it is that Daryle Broadhurst won, 1st Spindle Turned piece, 1st Acacia Turning and Best of Show all for the same piece a Ferris Wheel of over 400 pieces.:2tsup: It is worth a look!:oSounds amazing. :oo::U

Osbojo
14th June 2013, 10:00 AM
Yeah like Moby, I kicked in a few to get the numbers up in support of my club. Only my second year at the lathe so a bit embarrassed to put my stuff up - given the quality of the work that was there last year. Still, good experience I guess. I'm going to head over later this morning and have a gander.

Os

_fly_
14th June 2013, 03:44 PM
I went this morning.
Took my 13 year old niece with me as its a student free day and I got the babysitting job.
No special rate for children or students, Nope, full price for her as well.

They then had to cheek to say "well she doesn't need a catalogue or show bag".

I asked if it was cheaper if she didn't and they said nope.

Then sorry she gets a show bag and catalogue if I've paid for it.

tea lady
14th June 2013, 05:23 PM
I went this morning.
Took my 13 year old niece with me as its a student free day and I got the babysitting job.

Then sorry she gets a show bag and catalogue if I've paid for it.That does seem a bit poor. Given students get a cheaper entry price in the actual comp. :hmm:

chuck1
14th June 2013, 07:07 PM
I must try get some items down next year! seems along way down there!

Osbojo
14th June 2013, 07:19 PM
I'll put up a couple of photos from this morning's visit. Heading back over the weekend for another look with SWMBO to rip off a few more ideas!

Osbojo
14th June 2013, 07:32 PM
a few more (hope I didn't double up on any!)

shedbound
14th June 2013, 08:01 PM
some good looking items there, thanks for sharing the pics

Mulgabill
14th June 2013, 08:40 PM
I see Tea Lady's has a piece in there. A prize I wonder:hooray:????

Gra
14th June 2013, 08:47 PM
I went this morning.

Then sorry she gets a show bag and catalogue if I've paid for it.

They must be watching this thread. I turned up this evening with my 9 Year Old Daughter, Caused a bit of confusion, but they all looked at each other and said don't bother.

tea lady
14th June 2013, 10:16 PM
I see Tea Lady's has a piece in there. A prize I wonder:hooray:????Not sure if that piece got anything. I think the other one did. Not sure.

Gra
14th June 2013, 10:22 PM
Not sure if that piece got anything. I think the other one did. Not sure.

Your Banjo got a second TL. I didnt see any other pieces by you, but I will put that down to looking after a 9YO

nz_carver
14th June 2013, 10:31 PM
I know it was meant well but I find it Rude that you have taken pics of work that I know don't belong to you and placed them up here.

Did you stop to ask the people who's work it is if they mind if you place not the best pics of there work up on here?

sorry just the way I see it as a artist.

tea lady
14th June 2013, 10:33 PM
Your Banjo got a second TL. I didnt see any other pieces by you, but I will put that down to looking after a 9YOPost #16 pic 25

I know it was meant well but I find it Rude that you have taken pics of work that I know don't belong to you and placed them up here.

Did you stop to ask the people who's work it is if they mind if you place not the best pics of there work up on here?

sorry just the way I see it as a artist.Well I don't mind.

DJ’s Timber
14th June 2013, 10:40 PM

sorry just the way I see it as a artist.

That is a bit harsh Dave, it is a public exhibition and I've seen pics from this woodturning expo turn up everywhere.

If you were to do a search, you'd find that this isn't the first time pics have been posted and it won't be the last time either.

Osbojo
14th June 2013, 10:55 PM
No, that's a fair comment so I deleted the pics.

A Duke
14th June 2013, 10:59 PM
Well I am getting no pictures in post 16 only one thumbnail in post 17 and that tells me it's an invalid link.
Regards

Ps that thumbnail is also gone. H

tea lady
14th June 2013, 11:05 PM

sorry just the way I see it as a artist.Oh come on. He doesn't say they are his work. I see nothing to get het up about.:rolleyes:

A Duke
14th June 2013, 11:13 PM
If visitor are not supposed to photograph they would put up signs like is done at quilting exhibitions and you would get a tap on the shoulder if you disobeyed.
Regards

Sturdee
14th June 2013, 11:28 PM

and from the conditions of entry according to the Australian Woodturning Exhibition's website

The Committee

.....reserves the right to photograph exhibits and publish or otherwise display those photographs for promotional or educational purposes.

So it is clear that upon entry of exhibits permission is granted for photographing and publishing all entries. Osbojo, as a member of one of the organising clubs, seems to have been acting properly in publicising these photos for promotional purposes.

Please reinstate them for those who can not attend due to tyranny of distance.

Peter.

Mulgabill
14th June 2013, 11:49 PM
The AWEX compile a DVD for distribution and publish images on their web site. As has been said it is a public exhibition, and woodturning in general needs all the publicity it can get.
Winners have also already posted images of their items elsewhere.

I cannot see it as being "rude". Nearly all that I know regard the exposure as a good thing and further how can they expect to sell their pieces if they are not in the public domain.

nz_carver
15th June 2013, 01:00 AM
Ok let me try clear this up. And Id start by saying that Im not having a go at anyone here.
and most people that know me know I say what I think.

like I said I think it's rude. That is what I think.

If you are going upset about entry prices to enter events and I don't just mean this one I mean any of them.
I say have a think about the over heads that the people running the event centres have to pay.
and don't look at it the the space of the one event. Power, heating, cleaners, it all adds up when you do the maths over a yr. And think about the ones that help out at events and do all the things that the public don't see, the setups the pack ups.

Id say $15 to $20 is not that much in this day and age not when you know it's some shows are only on once a yr and if you get enjoyment out of it.

most turners spend more than that on sandpaper in a moth or 3x that on a good polish.

It's no secret that I like to go to most of the woodturning events out there why Because I Get enjoyment out of going and seeing old mates and making new ones.

I am one for trying to get woodturning out there. Anyone that's seen me in the last 6 months knows that.
( sorry a little bit of a joke for the ones that have seen me) so I'm not saying that sticking the pics up here was a bad thing I'm just saying may after the even may have been a better time to do it.

mick61
15th June 2013, 08:23 AM
Gday everyone as a person that has had some involvement In the exhibition for the last 12years I don't see a problem with Posting pics on line as it might encourage people to go and Have a look and even enter next year and that is what the Exhibition is all about entries and the promotion of woodturning

As for entry into the exhibition $5 is nothing it is not the purpose Of the exhibition to make money the purpose is to make enough to Keep the Exhibition going we are lucky there still is an exhibition there was a chance it wasn't going to exist anymore so go and support it instead of bagging it because some volunteer didn't use commen sense.
Mick :D

Mulgabill
15th June 2013, 10:40 AM
Perhaps someone else has some images that they may like to put up, to show those that cannot attend, the quality of work that is at the exhibition.????
They are even asking on WOW what's happening at AWEX which is not a good look.:o

DaveTTC
15th June 2013, 11:23 AM
Pics make all the difference here for me. It would make a big difference as to whether i might go to an event or not.

If I was putting stuff on show I would want as many pics as possible out there to promote my work (hoping my work was promotable lol)

They must be watching this thread. I turned up this evening with my 9 Year Old Daughter, Caused a bit of confusion, but they all looked at each other and said don't bother.

pretty poor show making kids pay full price. This may have been a cheaper show than most, still if I had gone the day before I would have turned up with 3 kids - ouch

Sturdee
15th June 2013, 12:54 PM
Perhaps someone else has some images that they may like to put up, to show those that cannot attend, the quality of work that is at the exhibition.????
They are even asking on WOW what's happening at AWEX which is not a good look.:o

I've just been and really enjoyed seeing the work on display. Really fantastic work and inspiring to me, I hope one day I'll be as good.

Took lots of photos and I'll process them later today and put them up on the board for the enjoyment of those that cannot attend. BTW took the photos in the presence, and with the help of four members of the organising committee, so no problem there.

If anyone else has photos please post them as well as it helps to promote the exhibition and wood turning.

Peter.

Sturdee
15th June 2013, 12:56 PM
pretty poor show making kids pay full price. This may have been a cheaper show than most, still if I had gone the day before I would have turned up with 3 kids - ouch

The entry fee to the exhibition is $ 5. per person. Surely you wouldn't want a discount for children or seniors at that price.

Peter.

Mulgabill
15th June 2013, 01:26 PM
Look forward to seeing your photos Peter:2tsup:

_fly_
15th June 2013, 01:45 PM
The entry fee to the exhibition is $ 5. per person. Surely you wouldn't want a discount for children or seniors at that price.

Peter.

Didn't question the price.
But if you and Michelle paid to get in would you both expect/want to get a showbag and Catalogue?
Or
Do you think that one showbag per group is enough?

All I was saying was if they pay full price then they are entitled to what that entails.

Peter

Osbojo
15th June 2013, 01:45 PM
Guys, I don't think NZC was having a go about any copyright infringements or similar. I took his post to mean that the image quality was poor:

In that, I agreed with him and hence removed them. It's hard to photo objects without a background, without flash and with folks milling, hopefully Peter's photos will be of better quality and will pass muster!

DaveTTC
15th June 2013, 04:58 PM

Peter.

I take umbrage at having to pay for things for no reason. If I'm going to a wood show and have to take my kids along they are not coming because they are interested. I have to find ways to keep them entertained while I try to see what I want to see. Yes I would want discount or free in this case, especially as mine are 1, 3 &4. I used to be a fulltime carer for my baby sister. During those days I was on a carers pension. I did not appreciate it when a swimming pool in Parkes NSW insisted I pay admission when I was clearly there in the capacity as a carer and was not swimming. Even cinemas grant free admission to carers. It's not always the price bit the principle.

And in the case being commented on - full price but not being given a full show bag.

If I attend something with my wife and all her kids, she had 6 to her ex and 3 to me. Yes kids prices make a big difference to me.

Guys, I don't think NZC was having a go about any copyright infringements or similar. I took his post to mean that the image quality was poor:

In that, I agreed with him and hence removed them. It's hard to photo objects without a background, without flash and with folks milling, hopefully Peter's photos will be of better quality and will pass muster!
Great observation, I missed that subtle point.

Thanks for clarifying it.

tea lady
15th June 2013, 06:13 PM
Speaking as one of the artists I really am not offended by "bad" photography. Just like I am not offended by bad spelling or less than perfect personal expression in words. What I AM interested in is what people saw and noticed and liked about the work they saw. All useful feed back. And even bad pics give you an idea of the calibre of work at the show. And an idea of what you noticed and what you like. I am sure the pics in question would not end up being the only pictorial representation of the work.

Put the pics back up I say. As they are still valid as a representation of your excitement over what you saw at the show. Others will see and notice different things. Its all valid. And I want to see and read all peoples feed back.

chucky
15th June 2013, 07:20 PM
Tea Lady you are 100% right with your comments regarding taking photos and posting them for other people to view, who are unable to attend the AWE.Many great ideas have come from other peoples work, over the past 100's of years. Who cares if some-one has copied items that I have entered in the expo over the past. I DON'T. Congratulations on your awards this year
Regards Chucky:B

tea lady
15th June 2013, 07:35 PM
Tea Lady you are 100% right with your comments regarding taking photos and posting them for other people to view, who are unable to attend the AWE.Many great ideas have come from other peoples work, over the past 100's of years. Who cares if some-one has copied items that I have entered in the expo over the past. I DON'T. Congratulations on your awards this year
Regards Chucky:BNot worried about the copying. As there is nothing new under the sun. Just like to hear ALL feedback.

Osbojo
15th June 2013, 07:50 PM
Speaking as one of the artists I really am not offended by "bad" photography. Just like I am not offended by bad spelling or less than perfect personal expression in words. What I AM interested in is what people saw and noticed and liked about the work they saw. All useful feed back. And even bad pics give you an idea of the calibre of work at the show. And an idea of what you noticed and what you like. I am sure the pics in question would not end up being the only pictorial representation of the work.

Put the pics back up I say. As they are still valid as a representation of your excitement over what you saw at the show. Others will see and notice different things. Its all valid. And I want to see and read all peoples feed back.

Ok, I can do that. I just converted them all to lower res again because I deleted them after UL them last time. Just hope noone gets their knickers in a twist.

Tony Morton
15th June 2013, 08:02 PM
It's hard for us some considerable distance away from Melbourne and the exhibition to appreciate what quality of work is entered, it is also frustrating waiting for several days to find out if you have been successful or not. May be just a suggestion if the organisers could e-mail results after judging is completed. The posting of photos in my opinion should be positive and create comment and encourage others to enter. Congratulations to all prize winners as to the also rans for having the courage to put their work forward for judging both by the official panel and their peers.

Cheers Tony

Sturdee
15th June 2013, 08:07 PM
Here are the ones I took.

Firstly an over view of the hall.

Peter.

Sturdee
15th June 2013, 08:13 PM
Some special ones.

The next three are the one item, a novel way of using the instruments.

Peter.

Sturdee
15th June 2013, 08:29 PM
Finally the remaining ones, being an eclectic view of the ones that either interested me particularly or those from people I know.

I hope you enjoy them.

Peter.

Sturdee
15th June 2013, 08:33 PM
Seems I missed a few.

Peter.

Mulgabill
15th June 2013, 08:57 PM
Thank you Osbojo and Sturdee for putting up images of some of the great exhibition entries.
Well done to all entrants on producing and sharing your great works.

Sturdee
15th June 2013, 09:37 PM
These are only a small sample of what was on show but you can get your personal copy of all entries shot by a professional photographer on a DVD from the organisers for (I think) $7. plus postage.

Well worth getting for any turning club's library and dedicated turners.

Peter.

DaveTTC
15th June 2013, 09:41 PM
Thank you Osbojo and Sturdee for putting up images of some of the great exhibition entries.
Well done to all entrants on producing and sharing your great works.

+1

Thanks for the pics. It shows the show as something worth trying to get to next time round. I'll find a baby sitter ;)

Mobyturns
15th June 2013, 09:49 PM
As an entrant like Tony (who I know reasonably well btw) I have entered pieces in AWTEX. I also cannot attend in person each year. Through the generosity of one of the organisers I do know that I did get some places in Intermediate. I do not know which pieces got what places, so I have to play the waiting game too.

When we enter the comp we know the rules & conditions so I have no complaints in that respect & I am in no way criticizing the organisers in any way with the following. I wish to be very clear about that. The Patron and the committee do a magnificent job of promoting wood turning, hosting and running a premier event which is a tremendous credit to all the volunteers involved and a huge boost to promoting wood turning and wood art in Australia.

I have pretty strong feelings on the posting of images of others work (or words) without their permission online on forums for several reasons. I am also not comfortable with the organisers making it possible for those attending to take photographs which then invariably end up online these days.

The conditions of entry clearly state on page 7 – “The committee …..reserves the right to photograph exhibits and publish or otherwise display those photographs for promotional or educational purposes.” That acceptance of the conditions of entry by a competitor by entering pieces I do not believe extends to consenting to others not associated with the running of the event taking images of an entrants work with or with out the committees permission.

I am very keen about promoting woodturning however I personally believe and suggest that the AWTEX committee should restrict the taking of photographs at the exhibition in future to “for personal educational use only” and place a total restriction on the reproduction of images in any form whatsoever online without the committees express written permission and especially while the event is on.

I am suggesting this for a couple of reasons firstly for the AWTEX committee to retain the rights in any images taken at the exhibition as they host the event at considerable effort & cost so they solely should benefit from any tangible rights generated from it. The committee also goes to considerable lengths to obtain HQ images of prize winning entries which it then compiles into a <st1:stockticker>DVD</st1:stockticker> of the event and sells at a nominal fee to help defray the costs of hosting the comp & exhibition. Permitting the taking of photographs by others diminishes any returns from that opportunity.

Some entrants may also object to others posting images of their work online before they get any opportunity to promote their own work or to share their successes with friends etc.

I would much rather the committee officially release images and results through a blog or on Facebook. However I’m prepared to wait and I also realize that there is only so much a very dedicated band of volunteers can do.

As for those who cannot attend & do not enter the comp I believe you have pretty unrealistic expectations in believing you have any right to view the results of the competition or any entries before the event is over. It is the committee’s sole prerogative to control the release of images and to benefit from & maximise attendances at the event.

I believe it is very poor taste for others to post images on line while the event is still running as you are robbing the committee of potential entry fees. Those that do post on line and also facilitate those images remaining on line will actually restrict the taking of images for genuine educational purposes by attendees in the future.

You are jeopardizing the future of a magnificent event!

Finally congratulations to the Patron, Ray Dennis & Daryle Broadhurst all the volunteers involved and the entrants who have kept this event alive.

Yours sincerely
Mobyturns
(aka Geoff Whaling)

DaveTTC
15th June 2013, 10:03 PM
Majorly disagree with preceding post. Might as well stop broadcasting the news, the Olympics, sporting events and any other public events.

We live in a world of social media. If someone does not like it don't put stuff in public events. Part of entering something like this is surely to show off your work, not in a bragging kind of way but for others to see. Had it not been for this thread and this forum I may never have heard of this event. Had it not been for the photos just posted it is highly unlikely I would have thought of attending in the future or entering anything in this show.

More pics the merrier I think. If I don't want others to see my work I won't enter.

I understand some may want to protect their designs etc. As stated earlier, 'there is nothing new under the sun'

I have some designs I'm working on which are adaptions of other things I have seen just not in my planed application. I'll prob wait till I'm satisfied with my process before I share it. Why - because others will copy. I don't have a problem with that I'd just like to be credited with starting it if indeed I do start something different. End of the day it has been done before, just have not personally seen it the way I have done it. There could be hundreds or thousands out there already.

Today is social media, not much we can do about it. Why buy a new car simply to out it up on blocks. We buy a car to use it. If we can use others to publicise our work, our events - go for it.

The negative talk for being overly restrictive will no doubt do more damage than any other fears we may have.

Mobyturns
15th June 2013, 10:28 PM
We live in a world of social media.

I understand some may want to protect their designs etc. As stated earlier, 'there is nothing new under the sun'

The negative talk for being overly restrictive will no doubt do more damage than any other fears we may have.

We do live in a new world of social media – but that does not mean respect for the rights of others goes out the window purley because you can post it online at the exhibition. The IOC, major events etc ALL controll access and publication rights - they even sell them!!!

I agree we all have to accept that any one who shows any idea has to accept that it will be used by others in the future. If you haven't the financial means to protect an idea then it is no longer yours.

Just look at the entries in any comp from one year to the next (or after a demonstrator etc) and how they have improved, the inspirations gained and improvements made from studying previous works. That is good for wood turning.

But my response had nothing whatsoever to do with protecting designs or is it being negative - it is about supporting the volunteers on the committee & retaining the rights and being able to promote the event and to recoup costs and hopefully make a small profit to keep the event going into the future without others benefiting from it before the event is over.

Sturdee
15th June 2013, 10:44 PM
I believe it is very poor taste for others to post images on line while the event is still running as you are robbing the committee of potential entry fees.

I disagree strongly with your views and rather then robbing the committee of entry fees I believe these photos stimulate interest in the event and will increase entrants to the exhibition, if not this year then the next one.

I have pretty strong feelings on the posting of images of others work (or words) without their permission online on forums for several reasons. I am also not comfortable with the organisers making it possible for those attending to take photographs which then invariably end up online these days.

Posting photos on this forum has been done in the past and will be done in the future all with the tacit approval of the organisers, nearly all I know personally and would tell me if they objected to this. In fact we save them doing some of their promotial work at their busiest time.

If you feel that strongly, maybe you should not enter.

You are jeopardizing the future of a magnificent event!

It is indeed a magnificent event and rather then jeopardizing it we are promoting it.

Peter.

DaveTTC
15th June 2013, 10:51 PM
We do live in a new world of social media – but that does not mean respect for the rights of others goes out the window purley because you can post it online at the exhibition. The IOC, major events etc ALL controll access and publication rights - they even sell them!!!

I agree we all have to accept that any one who shows any idea has to accept that it will be used by others in the future. If you haven't the financial means to protect an idea then it is no longer yours.

Just look at the entries in any comp from one year to the next (or after a demonstrator etc) and how they have improved, the inspirations gained and improvements made from studying previous works. That is good for wood turning.

But my response had nothing whatsoever to do with protecting designs or is it being negative - it is about supporting the volunteers on the committee & retaining the rights and being able to promote the event and to recoup costs and hopefully make a small profit to keep the event going into the future without others benefiting from it before the event is over.

I am Vice President of the local business chamber of commerce where I live and on a number of other committees. The money potential you talk about is insignificant compared to other means. Money lost as a result of social media - negligible in my opinion. If someone has facts and figures that suggest otherwise then I'm happy to consider that, especially as I'm in the process of helping coordinate a number of local events over the next 12 months.

Please don't take me wrong, I'm not out to fight etc. I have a friend who is a professor in marketing, have been to numerous business lectures and all seem to say use social media to the extent possible. Care needs to be taken to do things well for social media can be a two edged sword - something goes wrong and word spreads quick.

If I was running this event I would welcome ALL the publicity I could. If others are promoting the event it is doing me a favour. If the committee want to publish and sell photos they will still get sales regardless of what is available on face book etc. There will always be the covert taking photos if you try to prevent it. The main objective I would imagine here is to
1) promote wood work, turning in this case
2) show off people's work
3) inspire others
4) create a sustainable ongoing event.

Freedom to publish pictures can only help in each case. The amount of 'possible' income lost due to pictures posted on the net is negligible compared to the potential for positive publicity. 'Loss' of publicity is a much greater loss than any small gain that may be had by limiting or preventing pictures etc.

Some individuals may not want to be identified on the net for various privacy reasons - for them I would suggest if they still want to enter to have a 'name' they use as an artist such as many writers have written under an assumed name.

All that said and done i do enjoy seeing another's opinion even if I disagree.

Mobyturns
15th June 2013, 10:51 PM
Are you confusing entry with entrants?

Posting comprehensive sets of images while the event is on will reduce potential entry numbers. Posting images after the event has run its course may boost entrants for next years comp.

Sturdee
15th June 2013, 11:03 PM
If I was running this event I would welcome ALL the publicity I could. If others are promoting the event it is doing me a favour. If the committee want to publish and sell photos they will still get sales regardless of what is available on face book etc. There will always be the covert taking photos if you try to prevent it. The main objective I would imagine here is to
3) inspire others

Freedom to publish pictures can only help in each case. The amount of 'possible' income lost due to pictures posted on the net is negligible compared to the potential for positive publicity. 'Loss' of publicity is a much greater loss than any small gain that may be had by limiting or preventing pictures etc.

Fully agree with that and I was taking the photos in the presence of committee members rather then doing it surreptitiously if taking photos was banned

Some individuals may not want to be identified on the net for various privacy reasons - for them I would suggest if they still want to enter to have a 'name' they use as an artist such as many writers have written under an assumed name.

I considered that as I know quite a few entrants who are forum members, and their forum name, so I made no comment to identify them.

Peter.

DaveTTC
15th June 2013, 11:03 PM
Are you confusing entry with entrants?

Posting comprehensive sets of images while the event is on will reduce potential entry numbers. Posting images after the event has run its course may boost entrants for next years comp.

I live in NSW. Had I had the means and the time, after seeing the pictures just posted I would have made the trip to see it in person. For me it would have encouraged attendance.

Maybe some would have thought, 'I've seen it now, now I don't need to go'

On another note - can't remember if it was raised by you or someone else. It would be nice for those who submitted work to have their results emailed to them as judging was done. As time goes by I would suspect this will happen.

Next year I may be an entrant and enter (in both senses)

Mobyturns
15th June 2013, 11:13 PM
I live in NSW. Had I had the means and the time, after seeing the pictures just posted I would have made the trip to see it in person. For me it would have encouraged attendance.

Maybe some would have thought, 'I've seen it now, now I don't need to go'

On another note - can't remember if it was raised by you or someone else. It would be nice for those who submitted work to have their results emailed to them as judging was done. As time goes by I would suspect this will happen.

Next year I may be an entrant and enter (in both senses)

Well I live in Far North Queensland and I have entered in novice and now twice in Intermediate and have done quite nicely for me. I have also attended the exhibition in person and was most impressed with the hospitality extended to me and in the running of the comp and exhibition. I would have been there again this year if work & other commitments permitted.

I can highly recommend attending the event, entry fees well spent despite what others say.

I sincerely hope you have a go at entering in both senses.

A Duke
15th June 2013, 11:16 PM
And I add my thanks to those who have posted, also the organizers, volunteers and entrants.
When I enter anything (I am not a turner) it is with the idea of sharing my eforts.
Regards

Sturdee
15th June 2013, 11:21 PM
I hope that my photos has stimulated interest in going to see the exhibition for seeing photos is not the same as looking at the exhibits closely.

Whilst it is prohibited to touch the exhibits the committee members on duty are always willing to pick up the items and show it to you so you can see it in detail and discuss the methods and ways of how it was turned, either having made it themselves or from their own expert knowledge.

Every year I learn new techniques to try, not always successful I might add, and stimulate me, definitely worth going.

Peter.

DaveTTC
15th June 2013, 11:27 PM
Peter

Your photos have made a world of difference for me. I thank you again

tea lady
15th June 2013, 11:32 PM
Well nothing like a robust discussion. :U:cool:

Sturdee
15th June 2013, 11:40 PM
It would be nice for those who submitted work to have their results emailed to them as judging was done. As time goes by I would suspect this will happen.

It would be nice if that could be done BUT remember they are all volunteers, most of them have been at the exhibition building last Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday receiving and setting up the hall and then again on Friday, today and tomorrow for supervising the exhibition during their open hours and then again next week for the pack up and posting back the unsold and uncollected items.

I'll make the suggestion,through my club, that they look at co-opting, if possible, someone else for that task.

Peter.

Mobyturns
16th June 2013, 08:28 AM
I am Vice President of the local business chamber of commerce where I live and on a number of other committees. The money potential you talk about is insignificant compared to other means. Money lost as a result of social media - negligible in my opinion. If someone has facts and figures that suggest otherwise then I'm happy to consider that, especially as I'm in the process of helping coordinate a number of local events over the next 12 months.

Please don't take me wrong, I'm not out to fight etc. I have a friend who is a professor in marketing, have been to numerous business lectures and all seem to say use social media to the extent possible. Care needs to be taken to do things well for social media can be a two edged sword - something goes wrong and word spreads quick.

3) inspire others

All that said and done i do enjoy seeing another's opinion even if I disagree.

I too enjoy a good positive discussion,

As I see it the exhibition committee has five sources of revenue, 1 sponsorship, 2 competition entry fees paid by the competitors, 3 entrance fees to the exhibition, 4 sales of promotional products (ie <st1:stockticker>DVD</st1:stockticker>'s) and finally, 5 commissions on sales at the exhibition which I might add is quite modest at 20% considering industry norms.

Yes - managing social media and other competing interests is a two edged sword. Promotion is good for an event however if that promotion has the potential to impact negatively on attendances then I have to disagree that money lost due to images posted on line is negligible when a committee has a very limited means of raising revenue.

Word does spread quick as it has in this instance on the forum in this thread i.e. entrance fees for minors. Perhaps a less damaging approach would have been to contact the committee for them to address for future events. As you and others have pointed out the volunteers are very hard working individuals who are stretched and do not have the time to manage these issues online at this time.

Positive promotion is good however in this instance with images posted while the event is running I find it unlikely that it has boosted entry numbers or even promoted sales, and more likely the opposite. It most likely will reduce sales of <st1:stockticker>DVD</st1:stockticker>’s. “Tacit approval” probably means the committee tolerates the posting as they realise that it is very difficult to stop.

I do not believe there should be a “freedom to publish pictures” in this case nor is there a “freedom to publish.” Artists do retain the rights over drawings; paintings; sculptures; photographs; and craftworks that are unique however ideas and style are not protected by copyright. Others should seek an artist’s permission before reproducing it (for example by photographing, photocopying, copying by hand, filming, scanning into digital form or printing from a digital file).

Because social media and online forums can be used to quickly distribute unauthorised or covert images as you point out does not mean that it is either, morally and ethically acceptable or even legal in some instances. We all are obliged to respect the rights and interests of others.

I’ve had my 2c worth

Find an Answer - Australian Copyright Council (http://www.copyright.org.au/find-an-answer/browse-by-a-z/) go to "Artists & Copyright (G033v15)"

randmcnelly
16th June 2013, 11:50 AM
Hi Everyone,

I want to preface these pictures by saying that I hope no one gets offended by them, I only want to provide a reflection on what I saw as interesting and hopefully provide an insight into what I liked. I am lucky to live locally to the Exhibition, and have been going for the last 4 or 5 years. I love wood turning and seeing what wonderful creations other people can dream up and then successfully realise.

The credit of course goes to those talented people and I hope that they will enjoy seeing my take on their creations and what I can notice and appreciate, and perhaps draw other's attention to those details too.

I love David Shing's work, it is so different, yet intricate every time.

My sister is involved in owls, and I took this to show her the awesome details of the wide owl eyes, as a contrast to a shot she has of a real owl.

Up Close and Personal with the fantastic Ferris Wheel.

Thanks for taking the time to look, and I hope this inspires more people to attend and see the fantastic details contained within these fabulous pieces of art!

Michelle.

tea lady
16th June 2013, 11:54 AM
Hmm! Might have to get there a little earlier than I planned to have a real good look. :U

ubeaut
16th June 2013, 12:26 PM
Pauline & I went in Friday, took another couple with us. We took one show-bag per couple. Couldn't see the sense in having one each.

I think that charging full price for under 15's is a bit on the nose. If the 13 year old had been your daughter I would have said share the show-bag, but as your niece then I think it's entirely fair that she should have one of her own.

As one of the major sponsors of the show I was a bit disappointed to see banners from other sponsors up everywhere and ours nowhere to be found (lost I believe) there was even a largish banner up of a sponsor who at that time hadn't delivered any sponsorship. Personally I don't think it should have been up at all. But that's just my opinion.

As for the show itself... First time we've been able to make it for a few years due to it clashing with Sydney T&WWWShow. I was very impressed with the quality and high standard of work on display. Some stunning and mind boggling pieces.

Caught up with a lot of people who we only see a couple of times a year at these woodturning events and all in all had an enjoyable couple of hours.

Well worth the trip.

Cheers - Neil :U

Optimark
16th June 2013, 05:22 PM
I have never been to one of these exhibitions, mainly because turning is not directly on my radar and prior to retiring, work commitments. Being retired means I can look into the possibilities of turning, plus I have time to go to the exhibition.

I was wondering whether or not it was worth going and viewed this thread to see if it was going to be worth it. Only after I saw some pictures did I decide to go, so there is a positive from that.

One thing I did note whilst viewing the exhibits, was the almost non-stop clicking of camera shutters, along with the occasional camera flash. I do understand the need for advertising, but no one clicking away while I was there (Sunday around noon) was doing any clicking for advertising.

Many appeared to be getting as much detail on how someone has done this or that, presumably so they can have a go themselves; I find that acceptable, just. I do wonder just what they will do with their hundreds of pictures.

I suppose there is a fine line between advertising something with pictures well, not too well, or not at all.

There seemed to be a million different sections with awards being handed out to almost every entrant. I’m sure that isn’t the case, just my impression from the first turning exhibition I have attended.

Laminated/Built up, entries, were something new to me, very interesting indeed.

Something I noted about some of the clocks, were their backs. Some entrants had very neatly encapsulated the workings of the clock, others left them bare, the odd one (from memory) placed a covering piece with instructions, the ones neatly covered were the nicest to my eyes.

In fact one of the clocks was the piece I liked most in the whole exhibition, a student entry, “Pedestal Clock”.

A hat and brolly stand was something else I didn’t expect to see; it was colourful and rather striking.

The show bag would have been unexpected, except I knew about it from this thread, I was surprised how heavy it was. Peeking inside I immediately saw a yellow flyer for Ubeaut products; in fact it was their price list.

Further digging revealed some other catalogues and a sample tub of an Australian made wood filler. There was also an Australian made plastic rule, with the metric side the right way up for once.

Speaking of price, many items in the exhibition were for sale, most of the items were modestly priced, ($25 to around $400) some with more obvious work or look were reasonably priced, ($400 to around $1,000) with a few on the higher side, but probably about the right amount of high side price, ($1,500 to around $2,500)

One item though, was priced at the base of all five figure sums. I’m not saying the item was over priced, it would in all probability command that price in an art gallery, but at this exhibition it did stand out with it’s $10,000 price tag.

All in all worth going to, and, at $5.00, priced about right for what it was and where it is.

Mick.

Allan at Wallan
16th June 2013, 09:25 PM
I attended last year and the year before, took on volunteering duties on
both occasions and snapped quite a few photos for display on this Forum.

Last year was a "turn-off" as one official leaned over my shoulder and
said, "We should ban you taking photos as we are trying to sell DVDs".
I laughed it off as I tried to assure myself he was having a lend of me.

Another volunteer was supposed to take over my duties at an appointed
time but did not appear. I waited for another twenty minutes before
I found her talking with another person. I was on a tight timetable as
we had visitors arriving at my home. Needless to say I was not impressed
and showed my annoyance.

Not really concerned that I did not attend this year.

Allan

francè
16th June 2013, 10:20 PM
exceptional collection di great piece ... many compliments to all .. !! :2tsup:

Stuart
16th June 2013, 10:55 PM
Only heard about the event today from someone else who read about it here (and saw the original photos, before they were taken down).

Couldn't go because of previous commitments, so was hoping to see photos to know what I'd missed, and to know what to expect next time. After wading through two pages of 'discussion', debate and disagreement, had almost given up before finally getting to see some photos.

Some amazing work, but after reading so much discord, felt more sad than inspired. Was hoping to ask to put some photos on my site too, would have had some future marketing potential for the exhibition as an added benefit, but now think I'll just avoid the whole issue - don't need the hassle of so much dissent. :no:

smiife
17th June 2013, 08:54 PM
hi guys,
i would like to add my opinion to what has been a up and down sort of thread

firstly, i would not have known about the exhibition if i had not read it on here,

secondly, if i had have entered and someone had taken photos of my stuff and
thought that they were good enough to comment on and add photos to the forum
i would be over the moon:U and very honored i think,
i really don't know what the fuss is all about:doh:
just my 2 bob's worth:U

DaveTTC
17th June 2013, 08:58 PM
hi guys,
i would like to add my opinion to what has been a up and down sort of thread

firstly, i would not have known about the exhibition if i had not read it on here,

secondly, if i had have entered and someone had taken photos of my stuff and
thought that they were good enough to comment on and add photos to the forum
i would be over the moon:U and very honored i think,
i really don't know what the fuss is all about:doh:
just my 2 bob's worth:U

Thanks Bob & Bob ;)

Sturdee
22nd March 2014, 03:28 PM
After the spirited discussion on whether photos could be posted here, and if so before, during or after the exhibition I have asked the committee for clarification on this matter.

The advice I received is that the committee is very happy for photos to be posted, not only after the event, but also during the event, for any publicity and interest they may generate will benefit the exhibition. This approval is not only for previous years but ongoing as well.

I trust that satisfies those posters who felt it was wrong to post photos on the opening day of the exhibition. I hope to be able to post my impressions of this coming exhibition again for the benefit of those who are not able to attend because of the tyranny of distances involved.

Peter.

Mobyturns
22nd March 2014, 07:27 PM
After the spirited discussion on whether photos could be posted here, and if so before, during or after the exhibition I have asked the committee for clarification on this matter.

The advice I received is that the committee is very happy for photos to be posted, not only after the event, but also during the event, for any publicity and interest they may generate will benefit the exhibition. This approval is not only for previous years but ongoing as well.

I trust that satisfies those posters who felt it was wrong to post photos on the opening day of the exhibition. I hope to be able to post my impressions of this coming exhibition again for the benefit of those who are not able to attend because of the tyranny of distances involved.

Peter.

Peter, being one that was strongly opposed to the posting of photos during the exhibition I can accept the committee's decision. I may not agree with it but if that is what they have decided then so be it. Hopefully the committee will make a more formal statement.

As an interstate entrant it would be nice if the committee makes an attempt to post results earlier so that competitors from interstate can be informed about how they fared without seeing it posted by others somewhere online before they know themselves. It sort of takes the gloss off your acheivements in that situation & by permitting others to post photos online during the exhibition only adds to the confusion.

I'm still a little confused as to what results I actually acheived in last year's AWTEX but I accept the results posted online in "2013 Results Final". :cool: I was told one story by a person who knows me & saw my work at AWTEX; another by a committee member who went out of his way to tell me & I sincerely appreciate that; but both were different to what is posted on the AWTEX site and I did not receive all the certificates for what was posted on line. Hopefully I'm the only one in that situation.

The reality is it is very difficult to stop others posting online these days without banning photography all together - and committee members probably do not want that to happen.

I sincerely appreciate the efforts of the volunteer committee in doing an excellent job running the exhibition and competition and in promoting woodturning. :2tsup: Its difficult to cover all bases for them including managing social media.

tea lady
22nd March 2014, 07:27 PM
Thanks for following this up Peter. :cool:

hughie
22nd March 2014, 08:00 PM
Hmm I have been meaning to have a go at one these contest. But never seem to have the time to get anything completed, add to that its usually the start of the busy time at work to boot.

Add to that not sure what class I would be in, having never tried so never won anuthing

DaveTTC
22nd March 2014, 08:47 PM
Thanks Peter

Photo's are always a great thing.

Does this mean another year has been already?

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

Sturdee
22nd March 2014, 09:22 PM
As an interstate entrant it would be nice if the committee makes an attempt to post results earlier so that competitors from interstate can be informed about how they fared without seeing it posted by others somewhere online before they know themselves. It sort of takes the gloss off your acheivements in that situation & by permitting others to post photos online during the exhibition only adds to the confusion.

Sorry, but I can't comment on this as I'm not part of the committee. Late last year I enquired re posting of the photos and today, at our woodturning club meeting, I was told it was okay.

However if you don't like photos of your entries to be posted, please pm me your name and I'll make sure I'll comply with your wishes.

Peter.

Sturdee
22nd March 2014, 09:25 PM
Does this mean another year has been already?

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

No, the exhibition is in June, so now is the time to be working on your entries.

I'll post some details about the forthcoming exhibition tomorrow.

Peter.

Sturdee
22nd March 2014, 09:29 PM
Hmm I have been meaning to have a go at one these contest.

I think you should enter the exhibition as I always look forward to your creations.

Peter.

Mobyturns
23rd March 2014, 04:10 AM
Sorry, but I can't comment on this as I'm not part of the committee. Late last year I enquired re posting of the photos and today, at our woodturning club meeting, I was told it was okay.
However if you don't like photos of your entries to be posted, please pm me your name and I'll make sure I'll comply with your wishes.

Peter.

Peter, if the committee has given its approval then its OK with me to post photos of my work. From the entry conditions - "The Committee > reserves the right to photograph exhibits and publish or otherwise display those photographs for promotional or educational purposes." As I have said before I do not believe that implied consent extends to others though. Its an interesting copyright situation but if you choose to enter the comp, then you play by the rules and accept them or don't enter.

I think you should enter the exhibition as I always look forward to your creations.

Peter.

Hughie I would strongly encourage you to enter your work. :2tsup: You may not qualify for student, & as a first time entrant you could probably enter novice, but you may be selling yourself short there. :rolleyes:

hughie
23rd March 2014, 08:55 PM
I would strongly encourage you to enter your work. :2tsup: You may not qualify for student, & as a first time entrant you could probably enter novice, but you may be selling yourself short there. :rolleyes:

Hmm looking at the rules I could probably place an item in several different categories. But by the look of it most of what I do would fall under the wood art category or perhaps a hollow vessel at best.

Mulgabill
24th March 2014, 12:13 PM
Hmm I have been meaning to have a go at one these contest. But never seem to have the time to get anything completed, add to that its usually the start of the busy time at work to boot.

Add to that not sure what class I would be in, having never tried so never won anuthing

If in doubt Hughie check out the Conditions of Entry PDF file at http://www.theaustralianwoodturningexhibition.net/#!entry