PDA

View Full Version : woodfast m x150

Derek13
13th June 2013, 07:03 PM
Hi I have a wood lathe I want to sell and was wondering what it is worth please.It is a woodfast m x150 It has a bowl bit and two sets of chissels and a few other bits and pieces.It has been sheded from new and had little use.It is in excellent condition.Thank you.

DaveTTC
13th June 2013, 08:51 PM
probably more a matter of what you want for it

smiife
13th June 2013, 09:17 PM
probably more a matter of what you want for it

and also a piccy would help:;
cheers smiife:2tsup:

Gra
14th June 2013, 12:25 AM
I have no idea, but a quick google shows one sold on ebay last month for $200

Derek13
14th June 2013, 11:26 AM
I have no idea, but a quick google shows one sold on ebay last month for $200

I will try to upload a photo in the next few days.

Lol For $200 I room for it in the corner of the work shop to collect cob webs.

Jim Carroll
14th June 2013, 01:19 PM
This is the current version of the MX305 lathe (http://www.cws.au.com/shop/item/woodfast-m305x-variable-speed-midi-lathe) certainly worth more the the $200.00 which is probably its little brother M305 Lathe (http://www.cws.au.com/shop/item/woodfast-m305-midi-lathe)

Gra
14th June 2013, 01:31 PM
This is the current version of the MX305 lathe (http://www.cws.au.com/shop/item/woodfast-m305x-variable-speed-midi-lathe) certainly worth more the the $200.00 which is probably its little brother M305 Lathe (http://www.cws.au.com/shop/item/woodfast-m305-midi-lathe)

Jim I defer to you, I did say I had no idea :)

Derek13
14th June 2013, 02:13 PM
Dont know if this photo will work.But as you can see it needs a clean for sale as its been sitting in a shed for years.

Osbojo
14th June 2013, 02:54 PM
I would have assumed this one??

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f221/woodfast-woodlathe-x150-133825/

DaveTTC
14th June 2013, 04:07 PM
I'm a lathe junkie. Got 11 and always collecting for the right price

Derek13
14th June 2013, 10:03 PM
Ok as you can see it will need a wipe down and a clean.What do you all think it would be worth ?

DaveTTC
15th June 2013, 07:50 PM
Ok as you can see it will need a wipe down and a clean.What do you all think it would be worth ?

I really have no idea, Jim is probably a good one to estimate. I'm collecting to set up a museum. Don't mind some newer models, love the old ones. Like to have a story behind each lathe. I've over spent so only spending on something exceptional or a good deal. Your thumb nail does not seem to work but when I clicked on the pick it seemed fine.

Jim Carroll
16th June 2013, 12:09 AM
My mistake I had forgotten about that one.

As for price all depends on what you think it is worth, throw a figure out there and see what the masses think.

For me a couple of hundred at the most but I am a sting bugga

DaveTTC
16th June 2013, 12:18 AM

As for price all depends on what you think it is worth, throw a figure out there and see what the masses think.

Jim - did you get my PM?

Regards

Dave

Paul39
16th June 2013, 01:14 AM
Derek13,

My personal rule of thumb is if a lathe (or any machine) is in good working condition, it is worth 50% of new price. If very clean and pretty, 60 - 75%, if ugly & rusty with centers rusted in place, etc., 25 - 40%.

Add for tools and chuck on the same basis.

If you can't find the new price from the manufacturer or dealer, the price of a current machine of any maker with the same swing, distance between centers, weight, and horsepower will suit.

Derek13
16th June 2013, 07:44 AM
So if I put $1200 on it then that would be a good price for both buyer and seller ?

DaveTTC
16th June 2013, 09:47 AM

Jim suggested $200

So if I put $1200 on it then that would be a good price for both buyer and seller ?
Your doing well if you get that

There is another lathe currently for sale in the machinery section that includes a copy attachment. That is $280.

If yours was under $200 I might consider it but then it is mainly to sit there, it would never be my go to Lathe. If I was looking to set up and it was gonna be my starter lathe i might go 300 or 400

thats just me

Durdge39
16th June 2013, 11:07 AM
One can purchase a reasonable brand-spanker from Carba-Tec for $1200. Woodfast are nice lathes but they aren't in the leagues of a Vicmarc or similar.

I would suggest a figure around $300 on a good day. A good solid lathe that will likely still see a lot of use, but (from the photos) needs a fairly good clean and maybe a tune-up. It's the buyers time cleaning it that needs to be compensated for in the price. Things like bearings must also be checked. The minute they are out of action, it will alter the price significantly. Roller bearings have a habit of forming condensation inside them when they sit in one place for a long time, and corrosion soon ruins them and renders them kaput. The tools add a bit of value but unless they are brand-name won't attract much in the way of cash.

If you are in the Portland in the SW of Vic, I'm not far from you, and do trips there on a regular basis. I'd almost be tempted to buy this machine (dependent on price and up-close condition), but any trades and decisions are to be in an appropriate market place thread for fairness.

All the best with it (maybe it's time to take up turning :D)

Tom

Derek13
16th June 2013, 09:41 PM
I was not trying to sell it here really.But after a market price in the outside world.As I would have to sell it locally and not Aust wide.If it is worth under $500 I was always going to keep it even though at this point in time I have no interest in wood turning,but have plenty of room for a cob web collector in the corner of the shed.Thanks for your feedback all. I will try to get what I think its value is for me not to keep it.Possibly in the top dollar range here.

DaveTTC
16th June 2013, 10:34 PM
I was not trying to sell it here really.But after a market price in the outside world.As I would have to sell it locally and not Aust wide.If it is worth under $500 I was always going to keep it even though at this point in time I have no interest in wood turning,but have plenty of room for a cob web collector in the corner of the shed.Thanks for your feedback all. I will try to get what I think its value is for me not to keep it.Possibly in the top dollar range here.

try ebay and gumtree, I dont fancy your chances of clearing $500 but who knows