PDA

View Full Version : 2 new crain arive

azzrock
13th June 2013, 07:57 PM
here is a photo of the new cranes at work ill up date new photos tomorrow

KBs PensNmore
13th June 2013, 08:03 PM
Hi Aaron, are they going into the shed to make life easier???:D:D
They certainly will lift some big containers.
Kryn

rodweb
13th June 2013, 11:22 PM
Hmm, I could have borrowed that over the weekend to put my lathe on its new stand. Will it lift 300 kg? :D

kwijibo99
13th June 2013, 11:41 PM
G'day Aaron, That's a great photo. The ship looks very low in the water, I assume it's full of ballast to compensate for the top heavy load. Are these part of the Webb Dock upgrade?

azzrock
14th June 2013, 12:17 AM
g.day that ship is riding low so the deck can be roughly level with the wharf.for unloading there was 5 cranes onboard.
these ones are only half height.
these ones have nothing to do with web dock.

azzrock
14th June 2013, 12:21 AM
Hmm, I could have borrowed that over the weekend to put my lathe on its new stand. Will it lift 300 kg? :D
hay rob ive been lifting my lathe on and off its stand as well. they will handle 75 ton .

RayG
14th June 2013, 12:25 AM
Nice new toys to play with! :)

Where are they from?

Regards
Ray

azzrock
14th June 2013, 12:40 AM
hi ray there from China.
and will match well with the other 3 zpmc cranes.
made in china but packed full of German electronics.
gearbox's and brakes ect.
there replacements for dear park engineering cranes
that were showing there age.
aaron

Dave J
14th June 2013, 12:53 AM
Thanks for the pictures.

Dave

azzrock
14th June 2013, 01:06 AM

Oldneweng
14th June 2013, 08:56 AM
A tail wind would have been useful on the way over lol.

Dean

bob ward
14th June 2013, 10:53 AM
That is damn impressive. Those cranes are tall, they have heavy bits sticking out a long way each side, and yet they have been safely transported across open ocean. And somehow those heavy lumps have to be got on and off the ship as well.

.RC.
14th June 2013, 12:31 PM
Nice pics, amazed at the depth of the draft... Must be a deep port...

I only deal with little ships, max out at 190m long or so....

Surprised to see with two tugs they are ready to drop the anchor as well...

Some pics I have...

Machtool
14th June 2013, 06:10 PM
there replacements for dear park engineering cranes that were showing there age.
That's a sign of the times. I remember when Deer Park were making those cranes. I did some service work there. The joint was buzzing, probably 200 staff, specializing in heavy engineering like that. I think they shut the door in the past few years. Excellent bit of real estate there on Ballarat Road. I guess that will become a shopping centre soon. :oo:

Regards Phil.

azzrock
14th June 2013, 09:30 PM
the unloading began today.

Big Shed
14th June 2013, 09:33 PM
hi ray there from China.
aaron

Seems rather fitting that we use Chinese made cranes to unload Chinese containers.:rolleyes:

Great pics Aaron, quite a logistical exercise by the looks of things.

.RC.
14th June 2013, 09:41 PM
I see the block and tackle pulling the cranes, but where is the winch pulling the rope?

Also there is a block and tackle connected to the ship side of the crane... Is it there to stop a runaway type situation?

I was actually half expecting to see a really really really big crane lift them off in one piece... What they are doing is sort of like old school ways of doing things, but I guess it is the only way it can be done because they are really big themselves...

Amazing stuff..

azzrock
14th June 2013, 09:50 PM
good point Fred.

the winch is onboard rc further aft.
there is a lot of heavy gear devoted including the tug .devoted to keeping the ship in position. as the crane was winched ashore the the ships drafts hardly change which is quite a feat in its self.

azzrock
2nd September 2013, 03:11 AM
g'day know these 2 new cranes have been been in service a few weeks i thought id post some photos.
the first Phobos are of the bogies and there drive Assembly's and the inverter and electrical control
room..

here is the ac units for keeping the drives and electronics cool.
cabin and trolly access plus one side of top of the trolly.

machine room showing hoist and boom hoist drums and motors brakes and the maintenance hoist.
finally the back reach with Melbourne in the back groun
d.283555

aaron

Steamwhisperer
2nd September 2013, 06:26 AM
Thanks for posting the pics Aaron.
Great pics of something we don't get to see everyday :2tsup::2tsup:

Phil

azzrock
2nd September 2013, 12:13 PM
no problem phil. im happy you liked them.

here is another out of focus photo of the upper sill corner piece. this piece allows
the crane to be lowered and raised for the transit under the west gate bridge.
aaron

RayG
2nd September 2013, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the pictures Aaron, Just the size and scale of those monsters is mind boggling.

German electronics! Good stuff!

Regards
Ray

nearnexus
2nd September 2013, 01:37 PM
Check this out.

How not to Demolish a crane Australia (Nasty) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lyp0AtsODx4)

I hope this wasn't you guys making way for the new one.

Rob

.RC.
2nd September 2013, 04:51 PM
Check this out.

How not to Demolish a crane Australia (Nasty) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lyp0AtsODx4)

Rob

That was demolishing an ore unloader at Newcastle...

The person doing the cutting after that changed his pants then went out and bought a lotto ticket..

I had to LOL at what was said in NSW parliament about this event

BHP Newcastle Steelworks Accident - 29/08/2002 - QWN - NSW Parliament (http://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/prod/parlment/hansart.nsf/V3Key/LC20020829032)

I am pleased to advise that all the workers present escaped unharmed by complying with the escape procedures laid down in the demolition plans

So the escape procedure for the crane collapsing around you was to duck under the cherry picker...

I personally think it was sheer luck that saved his life rather then a written procedure...

nearnexus
2nd September 2013, 05:56 PM
That was demolishing an ore unloader at Newcastle...

The person doing the cutting after that changed his pants then went out and bought a lotto ticket..

I had to LOL at what was said in NSW parliament about this event

BHP Newcastle Steelworks Accident - 29/08/2002 - QWN - NSW Parliament (http://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/prod/parlment/hansart.nsf/V3Key/LC20020829032)

So the escape procedure for the crane collapsing around you was to duck under the cherry picker...

I like this bit "The investigating inspector found no evidence of occupational health and safety violations arising from the handling of the demolition process."

You've got to be kidding .........sheeeesh.

Unreal.

Rob.

azzrock
2nd September 2013, 06:35 PM
Check this out.

Rob

g;day rob
that video made me feel ill. That looked like one of our forklifts. They should of stopped the job there.
The demo's ive seen they use another crane to support the old crane as they cut it down. some times 2 cranes.
last year a ship to shore crane was being disassembled in sydney. A worker cut the walk way. that he was tethered
to away from the crane. so the walk way fell and so did the worker luckily he missed a bit and the hole lot was hanging
50' in the air held only by 2 bolts. the demolition crane driver rescued the guy with a work cage.

ray there big but the speed of the hoist and cross travel is more impressive than there size
there bristling with German electronics. German brakes gearboxes. even the hole cabin is dutch made.
the load lighting is Australian. Pius lots of English cav tech gear. the spreader is from Sweden.

hi rc nice link.
aaron

whitey56
3rd September 2013, 08:09 AM
Aaron thanks for posting this, I worked on a new container terminal here in Brisbane for a couple of months and always wondered what the engine room looked like on these bigboys.

Rob was that the "Dodgy Brothers Demolitions" on that job, there is a Youtube vid [sorry haven't learnt how to post a link yet] called container crane fail where "supposedly" wind pushes one crane into others and down they come, it's worth a look.

Paul

Steamwhisperer
3rd September 2013, 08:15 AM
Hi Paul,
is this the one.
Jacksonville Port Crane Catastrophe - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOnFgkqFSS4)

Phil

whitey56
3rd September 2013, 08:33 AM
Thanks Phil that's it.

j.ashburn
3rd September 2013, 08:48 AM
Thanks for posting the pics Aaron.
Great pics of something we don't get to see everyday :2tsup::2tsup:

Phil
:2tsup:X10 for me too fantastic tour of places we dont see Driving past them now puts a different perspective to those handling cranes. John.

Oldneweng
3rd September 2013, 08:15 PM
Another thing I found interesting in the How not to Demolish a crane Australia (Nasty) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lyp0AtsODx4) video was a very clever man trying to tip a 16 pack of compressed gas cylinders back onto it base using the forklift in the top of the pack. Haven't these people heard of slings? What happens when he knock a valve off?

Dean

simonl
3rd September 2013, 08:25 PM
That's a pretty nifty way to unload them. I assume if someone dropped the ball and had a bad day, it could really have severe consequences while unloading!

Simon

simonl
3rd September 2013, 08:32 PM
Just watched the Youtube video. Man some lucky people there!

Simon

simonl
3rd September 2013, 08:35 PM
Unrelated, but reminded of this one I found a few weeks back. Lucky escape by all...
Helicopter Crashes - Original HD footage - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5aMT9MBfZI)

Simon

azzrock
4th September 2013, 10:29 PM
hi guys. simon they are very good at these unloads they do heaps of them. There cranes are very popular.
they do it real slow i think at the rate they can adjust the ballast on the ship as the cranes move off and
on to the wharf.

droping the oxy bottles in that video was a scary prelude for thing to come..
aaron