PDA

View Full Version : NE Black Bean Bowl

TTIT
13th June 2013, 10:15 PM
This Black Bean had been sitting on the workbench for over 3 years so I thought it was about time to turn it in to something. No sanding and just one coat of Kunos oil to finish.
Comments and critique welcome :C

Full explanation following :;

pommyphil
14th June 2013, 07:18 AM
How big was the bean ? :cool: Phil

Gra
14th June 2013, 04:02 PM
How big was the bean ? :cool: Phil

Not as big as it is now :).

Nice work like it

turnerted
14th June 2013, 05:28 PM
Nice bowl.Any problem with the dust? This timber has a bad reputation.
Ted

TTIT
14th June 2013, 06:46 PM
OK - not as many bites as I'd hoped so here's the rest of the story.
So it's been a Black Bean bean but now it's a Black Bean bean bowl . . . and to make matters worse it came from Babinda Boulders!! . . . which makes it a Babinda Boulders Black Bean bean bowl :U
Always on the lookout for anything unusual to turn so I thought the beans might be Oz's answer to Tagua Nuts :shrug: Picked them up about 3 years ago and left them on the workbench - one went mouldy and disintegrated, another (pictured) fell foul to the mice or cockys and this one I turned had a crack right across it that I filled with rubberised CA before starting on it.
Turns like some sort of plastic as you can see from the shavings and doesn't need sanding - good fun but at this size the fun doesn't last long :C Only took it down to 2mm thick as I wasn't sure if it would be strong enough but I reckon I could take it to 1mm on the next one. Might check out the ones my little lady put in her 'Nature bowl' :;
Finished size - 31mm x 14mm.

Ted - zero dust! - not a problem.

Hardenfast
14th June 2013, 08:49 PM
So Vern, it didn't need sanding.... or with the chisel in your skilled hands it didn't require sanding? Must have been a small chisel. :)

Christos
14th June 2013, 09:48 PM
Yes very tiny.

If he had sanded it there might not have been much left after going though the grits. :U

TTIT
14th June 2013, 10:39 PM
So Vern, it didn't need sanding.... or with the chisel in your skilled hands it didn't require sanding? Must have been a small chisel. :)Ha! The stuff is so plastic-like that as long as you pulled the tool across it slow and steady, the finish was as good as you could want. :; Just used my home-made Oland style - butt of a 1/4" drill bit in the end of a 1/2" rod :shrug:

Yes very tiny.

If he had sanded it there might not have been much left after going though the grits. :UWanted to avoid sanding in case the pressure buckled/broke it - I reckon I've trashed more items in the sanding phase than I have in the turning of them :B:;

ogato
15th June 2013, 10:39 AM
Very clever. Obviously a very inquisitive mind, to look at a black bean and wonder what might be revealed inside. And then to have the skills to do so. Well done.

turnerted
15th June 2013, 05:33 PM
I picked up some a while ago with similar idears but they all split on me as they were drying.
Ted