PDA

View Full Version : Pegs for Lucas Mill stays

keenwoodworker
17th June 2013, 03:58 PM
Hi,
I have just bought a second hand lucas mill but it is missing the hold down pegs that fix the brace arm to the ground. I’m going to make some, would anyone be able to tell me the diameter of the pegs (the hole they have to go into is 18mm) and also post a photo? I rang Lucas Mill and they said the pegs look a bit like a big roofing nail. If anyone can help out it would be much appreciated.

DJ’s Timber
17th June 2013, 04:18 PM
That is pretty much what they look like. Some pics and measurements for you. 295mm long and 16mm dia.

272994 272996 272997

keenwoodworker
17th June 2013, 04:41 PM
Thanks for the super fast reply! Any tips of getting them out when you are finished...do you just lift up on the stay to get them started?

rustynail
17th June 2013, 04:58 PM
Yes, you can use the frame to lift them. I prefer to use tent peg style pegs as you can hook another peg in to pull it out or a pick or mattock if its real stuck.

keenwoodworker
17th June 2013, 05:02 PM
Yes, you can use the frame to lift them. I prefer to use tent peg style pegs as you can hook another peg in to pull it out or a pick or mattock if its real stuck.

Ok thanks, would you recommend I make tent peg style pegs with 16mm round bar?

DJ’s Timber
17th June 2013, 07:26 PM
Yep, loosen the locking handle on the stay then wiggle wiggle whilst pulling up, usually doesn't take much to get them out.

rustynail
17th June 2013, 07:56 PM
Ok thanks, would you recommend I make tent peg style pegs with 16mm round bar?

That would be the way to go. I'd be inclined to make a couple of sets, one short and one long for soft ground.

keenwoodworker
17th June 2013, 10:31 PM
That would be the way to go. I'd be inclined to make a couple of sets, one short and one long for soft ground.

Yes I planned on making a long and a short set. Would you go longer than 300mm for the long set? How short for the short set? I initially thought 150mm, but I am not sure now if that would be long enough for any type of ground.

Sigidi
18th June 2013, 07:28 AM
they really aren't worth making, I'm sure they are cheap as chips???

I've not had trouble getting them out by undoing the T handle on the leg, then using the leg to 'slide' them up out of the ground.

In the past I've used long M16 bolts when 'lacking' a peg until I got some replacements

rustynail
18th June 2013, 01:00 PM
Yes I planned on making a long and a short set. Would you go longer than 300mm for the long set? How short for the short set? I initially thought 150mm, but I am not sure now if that would be long enough for any type of ground.
I have a set of 300 and a set of 400. I hardly ever use the 400, only when its soft or boggy. They do come in handy if you are resetting up over sawdust from a previous milling. I think the ones supplied by Lucas are just sleeper spikes.

West OZ Mark
18th June 2013, 10:43 PM
Lost one of my pegs on the way to a job one day. Turns out a 300mm 3/4 socket extension works just great :D

MAPLEMAN
19th June 2013, 08:52 AM
I use tent pegs and find them alot easier to extract from the ground...the frame should never really shake that much anyway,if it does,then something is not right...i am not sure that that pegs are an imperative anyway,can still mill without them.I found the only times it shakes a little is when i have taken a wee too much off the rakers:no::D:2tsup:MM

weisyboy
26th June 2013, 10:18 PM
i dont peg my mill down,:o just jam the stays into the ground. if teh blades cutting right and you dont try asnd take to bigger bites it just dosent need them.

unless you are on a slope and teh mill keeps trying to runaway down teh slope.:doh:

milwise
27th June 2013, 12:03 AM
i dont peg my mill down,:o just jam the stays into the ground. if teh blades cutting right and you dont try asnd take to bigger bites it just dosent need them.

unless you are on a slope and teh mill keeps trying to runaway down teh slope.:doh:

I totally disagree with not pegging your mill down as a matter of habit, but hey I also disagree with wearing thongs as safety boots!!

weisyboy
27th June 2013, 08:18 AM
i wont wear thongs uncomfortable trip hazards they are. :no:

in most circumstances pegs are not nessasary. if they are needed i put them in.

some usefill thisngs in your kit for pegs.

screwdriver
chainsaw spanner
allenkey
bolt

rustynail
27th June 2013, 11:13 AM
I can imagine life without pegs for a swing mill on level ground, but a slabbing mill is a very different kettle of fish. No pegs and you wouldnt have to worry about moving the mill to another area, it would be automatic.:o

weisyboy
27th June 2013, 05:47 PM
yes slabbers do require pegs.