PDA

View Full Version : Burl Hunting *** Caution, Naked Timber*** Scenes of Brutality***

Willy Nelson
17th June 2013, 11:19 PM
Good Evening Ladies and Gentlemen

Had a wonderful weekend, out with the kids, dogs, chainsaws, 4WDs, motorbikes all to track, hunt and smite down elusive burls.

For anyone who has never been on a burl hunt, let me tell you how we do it West Aussie style.

I prefer to use a number of vehicles, motor bikes are good for range and access, but a 4WD is essential for carrying the saws and of course, the carcass of burls. This particular hunt occurred on private property, during the day. Spotlighting of burls can be done of a night, just a little more dangerous.

I normally hide in the bush, armed with typically a 660 magnum chainsaw. My kids, the dogs and motorbikes acts as beaters and drive the burls to the hide I have fashioned in the habitat. I may have to lie in wait for a long time, but it is worth it. Any movement by me may spook the burls and all our efforts go to waste. Patience is the key here. As they approach, I then normally smite them with a powerfull blow of the chainsaw, despatching them quickly and humanely as possible. My daughter owns a 009, any that escape my big chopper, are rounded up with the 009 which is a little smaller and more agile (as is she).

I normally then rough carve them out or turn them at home and wait for them to dry out. All these burls are York Gum Burls. The large one I suspect is York Gum, but will reserve my decision until I carve him up.

Cheers
Willy

NOTE: I have been hunting burls at this one property for a number of years. The tree which have had their burls removed are still doing well and I believe no harm is done to them. I do prefer to do this in the winter months after rain to ensure they are not distressed after thier minor surgery with the 660 Magnum
Jarrahland

Christos
17th June 2013, 11:46 PM
Interesting, I always though that the tree usually dies after a burl had been removed. It was something that I read somewhere.

Something new I have learnt.

DaveTTC
18th June 2013, 12:07 AM
how long do you need to let them dry for, is it a similar period as for regular slabs

Willy Nelson
18th June 2013, 12:12 AM
Interesting, I always though that the tree usually dies after a burl had been removed. It was something that I read somewhere.

Something new I have learnt.

Hello Christos
I have also been told that, by experienced wood turners etc. which is why I thought it important to note that fact. I have not seen a dead tree from having a burl removed. If it was the case, I would desist from this activity.

All the trees are alive and well and producing more burls, like harvesting.

Willy
Jarrahland

Willy Nelson
18th June 2013, 12:14 AM
how long do you need to let them dry for, is it a similar period as for regular slabs

Dave
I will rough turn or carve them untill approximately 25mm thick, leave for two years at least (noting the hot low humidy summers we have here in WA).
If this was Tassie or Melb, probably 4 years.

So, I reckon Yes

Willy

DaveTTC
18th June 2013, 07:37 AM
Thank you, that is good to know

tdrumnut
18th June 2013, 09:04 AM
Nice haul and excellent commentary

DSEL74
18th June 2013, 09:51 AM
Hello Christos
I have also been told that, by experienced wood turners etc.

Maybe it is a propagated myth so the newbies don't go out and nab all the burls and the oldies have a beer and a laugh while hoarding their piles of burls lol

artme
18th June 2013, 10:09 AM
The Taliban of burl hunters!!!:D

Nice little haul there Willy.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Your daughter looks to be pretty handy with that saw. Good for her!!

dai sensei
18th June 2013, 11:30 AM
Nice score :2tsup:. Definitely on my list to call in as I pass next summer :wink:

Yes harvesting the burls presents no harm to the tree, provided the cut is sealed to prevent infection, I use my end sealer.

rod1949
18th June 2013, 03:30 PM
G'day Willy,

So after the rough carve and drying has there been any cracking/splitting of the remainder of the burl?

Thanks
Rod

Willy Nelson
18th June 2013, 05:51 PM
The Taliban of burl hunters!!!:D

Nice little haul there Willy.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Your daughter looks to be pretty handy with that saw. Good for her!!

Don't know about the Taliban of Burl Hunters (terrorist organisation, hunted around the world). But I will comment on my daughter and her chainsaw. She is very confident and adept with the saw. I tried getting her on the chainsaw course, but she must be 18 (currently 15).

For years, I have taken people out bush and properties for firewood etc and with my big 660 Magnum, we quickly fill my trailer. Well, me and the kids always help other people, including my mate with the Stihl 009. He always struggled, then realised he needed a bigger saw. I was alble to help with that as well. Anyhoo, as a gesture of his appreciation for our help, he insisted on giving my daughter his old saw. She wants to paint the bar pink!!!!! Talk about Karma, he is currently undergoing Chemo, so me and the kids went and chopped a trailer of firewood for him, with his old saw.

What goes around, comes around

Sincerely
Willy

Willy Nelson
18th June 2013, 05:53 PM
G'day Willy,

So after the rough carve and drying has there been any cracking/splitting of the remainder of the burl?

Thanks
Rod

Crikeys Rod, only been two days since I cut them. It is winter. I don't expect them to crack, but if they do, it will probably occur about Jan/Feb in the middle of summer whilst they are stored in a hot little tin shed.

Willy

kiwiatgundy
18th June 2013, 05:54 PM
Love the yarn and pic's.
I too love getting out bush and harvesting. I am lucky as my job means I get to call in on a lot of cotton farmers and while I'm driving round there farms I get to see all sorts of interesting things. I spied this big burl from accross the creek, seen big ones before but access was always a pain, couldn't believe I could just back the trailer up. Took me 2 days of cutting and loading 2 1/2 trailer loads from same tree, day on the pressure cleaner then another day on the csm getting them back to something I could deal with.

Am buying a lathe soon and will start to play with what I've collected over last several years. Gotta admit though, I just love going bush and wandering round the trees. Wonder if they make portable lathes..........
Anyway, couple of pic's for you all.273119273120273118

wheelinround
18th June 2013, 06:02 PM
Willy thanks a fellow I know is hankering to take me to check out his hidden stash here on his property I will let him know the requirements of vehicles after all there is a great auction of ex-military gear on at the moment to access some of his place a 6x6 or half track would come in handy.:;

rod1949
18th June 2013, 06:17 PM
Crikeys Rod, only been two days since I cut them. It is winter. I don't expect them to crack, but if they do, it will probably occur about Jan/Feb in the middle of summer whilst they are stored in a hot little tin shed.

Willy

Sorry Willy, I got the impression that you'd done them in the past:doh:

smiife
18th June 2013, 08:27 PM
Good Evening Ladies and Gentlemen

I normally hide in the bush, armed with typically a 660 magnum chainsaw. My kids, the dogs and motorbikes acts as beaters and drive the burls to the hide I have fashioned in the habitat. I may have to lie in wait for a long time, but it is worth it. Any movement by me may spook the burls and all our efforts go to waste. Patience is the key here. As they approach, I then normally smite them with a powerfull blow of the chainsaw, despatching them quickly and humanely as possible. My daughter owns a 009, any that escape my big chopper, are rounded up with the 009 which is a little smaller and more agile
Jarrahland

hi willy,
i think i have said it before,but you have a great sense of humor :U:U
what a great weekend that would be out in the bush with your family
it does'nt get any better than that,,,,and all those burls........
lucky man,thanks for showing:cool:
cheers smiife:2tsup:

issatree
18th June 2013, 08:39 PM
Hi Willie & Family,
The Photo of the Suzuki name there in P 2. What are the Trees in the back ground. Should be good for Spindle Work.

mach70
18th June 2013, 08:41 PM
My Granddad (RIP) was a woodcutter most of his life in the Norseman/Dundas area cutting on the woodlines and later underground timbers for the mines. In his later years he started to harvest the burls off the trees. When he passed away the old Gem shop he and Nan owned had a stash of them no correction make that a HUGE stash of burl slices, I'm talking hundreds. Some were almost 2mtrs across, most 1/2 - 1mtr. All gone now. Not sure if they were stolen or nan got ripped off etc. Mum managed to save me about 3 small burls. Such a shame. Just hope they didnt end up being firewood.

I do know of several cache's of burl laden trees but some of them are in protected conservation woodlands. Others, well, suffice to say, they are waiting for me to purchase a bigger saw!:D

Shawn

TTIT
18th June 2013, 10:38 PM
Great post Willy :2tsup: Very jealous of all the birdseye burls :~. Plenty of burl around here too but it's all resin rubbish :C

Does the daughter turn them too or just like using the saw??? :?

Willy Nelson
20th June 2013, 01:13 AM
Hi Willie & Family,
The Photo of the Suzuki name there in P 2. What are the Trees in the back ground. Should be good for Spindle Work.

All trees on the property are York gums

Willy Nelson
20th June 2013, 01:16 AM
Great post Willy :2tsup: Very jealous of all the birdseye burls :~. Plenty of burl around here too but it's all resin rubbish :C

Does the daughter turn them too or just like using the saw??? :?
Vern
She just loves going bush, using a chainsaw, driving a 4WD and helping people, she is a little darling, and just turned 15

Bushmiller
20th June 2013, 03:06 AM
Willy

Excellent thread and bringing the family in on the act too. I don't know York Gum, but it looks interesting.

Regards
Paul

TreeClimberNick
24th June 2013, 02:20 AM
Nice score :2tsup:. Definitely on my list to call in as I pass next summer :wink:

Yes harvesting the burls presents no harm to the tree, provided the cut is sealed to prevent infection, I use my end sealer.

As an arborist, I find this to be a curious statement. Cutting a tree for ANY reason DOES cause harm to the tree. The tree now has to expend energy in an attempt to "seal" up the wound. Trees can't do this fast enough, so there is always some amount of decay. The larger the wound in comparison to the trunk diameter, the larger the decay.

Also, it has been shown time and again that sealing pruning cuts creates a perfect environment ...for bacteria and fungus! It really is best to not seal pruning cuts. Let the area dry out.

Take it easy on the trees.

-Nick Araya
ISA Certified Arborist

love
nick

Willy Nelson
24th June 2013, 08:50 AM
Hello Nick
Thanks for your input. Always good to from a proffessional. Further, I stated that I prefer to do this in winter as the tree is dormant, but it is the time of year most likely to get rain. Is this the best time to cut a burl off a tree? The other reason is the burls don't initially dry out as quick, cooler, saw and operator work better

Willy
Jarrahland

dai sensei
24th June 2013, 01:06 PM
...it has been shown time and again that sealing pruning cuts creates a perfect environment ...for bacteria and fungus! It really is best to not seal pruning cuts. Let the area dry out.

Well there you go. I'm certainly no expert, my advise is based on that given to me by 3 different qualified arborists around here, but it was a while ago. Have opinions changed?

DSEL74
24th June 2013, 01:51 PM
Well there you go. I'm certainly no expert, my advise is based on that given to me by 3 different qualified arborists around here, but it was a while ago. Have opinions changed?

I spoke to an arborist a few weeks back regarding pruning back a large fruit tree. I asked should it be sealed as I remembered Don Burke (who was an arborist) saying on his TV Show he put some pruning clay or some muck to protect the cut tree. The guy said that was old school and no longer the practice. So I think the times & opinions may have changed.

TreeClimberNick
25th June 2013, 02:23 AM
... I stated that I prefer to do this in winter as the tree is dormant, but it is the time of year most likely to get rain. Is this the best time to cut a burl off a tree?

That part I can't answer. We'd need someone with a knowledge of your local trees. Some folks recommend making big cuts while the trees are dormant, some while they are actively growing, some while it is dry out. When I look at the trees around Los Angeles, it varies specie by specie.

They indeed have.

love
nick

pmcgee
25th June 2013, 09:58 AM
Wonder if they make portable lathes..........
Arrrhhh ... there's them's what sez they do ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9UJxqBLd0U

Bushmiller
25th June 2013, 11:50 AM
Arrrhhh ... there's them's what sez they do ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9UJxqBLd0U

You just need a farm fence to set up the lathe :D.

I have not seen a drawknife fixed at one end before (6min 45s). Also I had some trepidation that the girl attempting to split a wattle stick would lose a body part.

Regards
Paul

pmcgee
25th June 2013, 04:47 PM
I have not seen a drawknife fixed at one end before (6min 45s).
Woodwould posted this last year ... http://www.woodworkforums.com/f11/englands-last-remaining-clog-maker-159171/

https://vimeo.com/48955111

actually there is about 5 or 6 parts to the whole story ... https://vimeo.com/49031684

Willy Nelson
25th June 2013, 09:37 PM
Wow hasn't this thread diversified

From Burl Hunting, to family activities to clog making?

Willy

RETIRED
25th June 2013, 10:04 PM
I have not seen a drawknife fixed at one end before (6min 45s). It is a clog makers tool called a stock knife.

Clog Making Pt 1 - Hand cutting a clog sole with a stock knife - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCQgkJJz_tI)

RETIRED
25th June 2013, 10:07 PM
Too late again.:cool: