PDA

View Full Version : off centre turning - wow !

steamingbill
18th June 2013, 11:10 PM
Feeling adventurous - had a go at off centre turning today - interesting - but made a mess.

Did some googling afterwards and found this video - thought it was astonishing ....... idea is simple when compared to some of the fancy chucks available for off centre turning.

Woodturning - eccentric goblet 2 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW7lG_z2q1U)

also found references to escoulen chucks etc. heaps of interesting things on google images.

What are the "must see" books and videos for off centre turning ?

Bill

dr4g0nfly
19th June 2013, 06:44 AM
Damn he makes using a ring tool look easy!

Yeah - Right, I bent mine!

wolften
19th June 2013, 08:31 AM
...not that I know doodly squat about turning, but that goblet is a work of art, the technique, simply amazing.:2tsup:

pommyphil
20th June 2013, 12:08 PM
Made these this morning from green Jacaranda , just have to get used to turning 80% air

steamingbill
20th June 2013, 03:11 PM
Made these this morning from green Jacaranda , just have to get used to turning 80% air

Hello PommyPhil,

Did you use home made chuck or bought one ?

If home made .......... care to say a few words about it please ?

Bill

steamingbill
20th June 2013, 03:22 PM
What are the "must see" books and videos for off centre turning ?

Bill

Any recommendations ? Nothing has leaped out of google at me yet

pommyphil
20th June 2013, 03:36 PM
Hey Bill Just a VM120 with shark jaws, same as "Shovel" (?) on the Utube clip

Monkey see, monkey do. :D

Phil

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th June 2013, 03:49 PM
I love playing with off-centre turning, but can't justify the cost of a dedicated O/C Chuck. (There are plenty out there... the Escoulen, of course, but VicMarc, Sorby and Axminster also have versions, to name a few.)

I use Phil's method... just a normal, fairly heavy-duty chuck - SuperNova2 in my case - and a set of jaws similar to shark jaws. However, I only use two of the four jaws, fitting them opposite each other. eg. No's 1 & 3 or No's 2 & 4.

This allows me to use the jaws as a vice and locks the piece in one plane, but allows it to be positioned at various angles in the other.

It does mean that great care must be taken when turning, as it's far from being the strongest grip. However, all off-centre turning requires a delicate touch and as much concentration as you can bring to bear, so IMHO my method is not really any more... "risky" than using a dedicated O/C chuck.

The main advantage of an O/C chuck is that you can easily repeat the "settings" to reproduce an item at a later date... provided you took note of the settings in the first place, of course! My way is a lot more complicated & fiddly for this; it's much better suited to doing one-off jobs. :shrug:

steamingbill
20th June 2013, 11:46 PM
Hello,

Had another go today.

Experimented with small pieces of pine on a screw chuck.

Got things that looked a bit like a spinal cord from a skeleton.

Can see the potential for slightly more interesting chess pieces.

They always look more interesting when they are whizzing around - havent been able to determine what the final product will look like yet - always have to stop the lathe.

Osbojo
20th June 2013, 11:49 PM
Here's an article I reckon's worth a read.

http://www.barbaradill.com/images/xx_MultiAxis_LR1018-1.pdf

pommyphil
21st June 2013, 07:30 AM
Great article Osbojo, thanks for that.

Phil

ve7twg
21st June 2013, 09:18 AM
Great post I turn all my mushrooms off center here is one a friend wanted to display a fairy.
Thanks George

steamingbill
21st June 2013, 11:06 AM
Here's an article I reckon's worth a read.

http://www.barbaradill.com/images/xx_MultiAxis_LR1018-1.pdf

Thanks Osbojo - thats a terrific article.

issatree
21st June 2013, 11:39 AM
Hi All,
Now I haven't read all of the posts, but I was shown this way.
Not having 1 of those O/C Chucks, you could take a bit of 2in x 2in. / 50 x 50mm. put it in your Chuck turn a ball on the T/S end, to the best of your ability, & put 3 equal lines on the Ball.
Turn it around, with the Centre Line, lined up with the edge of Chuck Jaws. Turn what you want, Sand & Finish.

Loosen the Chuck, & now moving the Wood in the Chuck to 1 of the lines, & maybe push it Sideways as well.

This may sound Dangerous to you, but I found, if you had the Lathe going Flat Chat, it was easier.

Sand & Finish, before every move.

Gee, sounds as clear as mud ???.

dennisk
24th June 2013, 04:33 PM
These are pair of crooked rooks I turned for another competition a few months back. Made in red oak. The top was done with the piece between centers and then the bottom part in a chuck. Doing a one off is fun but two the same is a bit of a challenge and I was happy with the way they turned out.

steamingbill
24th June 2013, 05:53 PM
Hi All,
Now I haven't read all of the posts, but I was shown this way.
Not having 1 of those O/C Chucks, you could take a bit of 2in x 2in. / 50 x 50mm. put it in your Chuck turn a ball on the T/S end, to the best of your ability, & put 3 equal lines on the Ball.
Turn it around, with the Centre Line, lined up with the edge of Chuck Jaws. Turn what you want, Sand & Finish.

Loosen the Chuck, & now moving the Wood in the Chuck to 1 of the lines, & maybe push it Sideways as well.

This may sound Dangerous to you, but I found, if you had the Lathe going Flat Chat, it was easier.

Sand & Finish, before every move.

Gee, sounds as clear as mud ???.

Issatree,

That sounds feasible to me - should be able to make it work on my lathe - will have a crack at it - thankyou.

Bill

steamingbill
25th June 2013, 09:25 PM
Half way down the page - couple of other ways of doing eccentric turning with easily made home made wooden chucks.

Being as my lathe doesnt have a normal chuck Issatrees method and the ones on the above page will work better for me.

Bill