PDA

View Full Version : Wheelchairwoodturners Ike

wheelinround
20th June 2013, 11:16 AM
This video is not just about those in wheelchairs as Ike teaches those who may not be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=GGY2UIEpIIg

coffenup
20th June 2013, 09:15 PM
good help for people that are wheelchair bound or like me unable to stand to long that you don't have to give up wood turning
regards michael

oreos40
23rd June 2013, 07:32 PM
I am in the design process for a lathe for a fellow turner who also has trouble with long stretches standing at the lathe. Any input would be greatly appreciated. we have discussed the option of being able to locate the headstock at anypoint on the bed so that turning off the tailstock end is possible. Also entertaining duplicator possibilities.

chucky
23rd June 2013, 08:27 PM
Suggest you look at the VL200 Sit Down Model that has been designed for people in wheel chairs and people who can't stand for long periods of time.

coffenup
23rd June 2013, 09:26 PM
Suggest you look at the VL200 Sit Down Model that has been designed for people in wheel chairs and people who can't stand for long periods of time.

but these Vicmarc lathes are priced outside most people with disabilities can afford
modifications to suit the mid price & cheaper lathes are needed
I have lowered my lathe so I can sit on a stool I may have to lower it lower to be able to sit in a normal chair if my back op does not work. I have seen a lathe stand that may be able to modify will look into it later. Will show I it works
Regards Michael

wheelinround
23rd June 2013, 11:34 PM
I am in the design process for a lathe for a fellow turner who also has trouble with long stretches standing at the lathe. Any input would be greatly appreciated. we have discussed the option of being able to locate the headstock at anypoint on the bed so that turning off the tailstock end is possible. Also entertaining duplicator possibilities.

There are many options out there as i have discovered thats how I found Ike and his set up some time ago.
I use the Nova 3000 and draughtsman stool and have turned up to 18" using the swivel headstock.
Woodfast duplicator looks good.

wheelinround
23rd June 2013, 11:37 PM

Chucky I suggest you have a good look at that lathe and consider the whole picture of using it let alone the cost.

wheelinround
23rd June 2013, 11:41 PM
but these Vicmarc lathes are priced outside most people with disabilities can afford
modifications to suit the mid price & cheaper lathes are needed
I have lowered my lathe so I can sit on a stool I may have to lower it lower to be able to sit in a normal chair if my back op does not work. I have seen a lathe stand that may be able to modify will look into it later. Will show I it works
Regards Michael

Michael my neighbour has just had her back done takes time but she is only 37 a mate who is 64 also had his done an improvement but he hates exercise to strengthen the muscles he is also doing ok. Hope your op goes well.

Artisans on The Hill in Tanonee has a Nova converted to suit and is adjustable height wise.
Northern Rivers Turners at Alstonville attached to the House With No Steps has turners who have an adjustable lathe set up.

oreos40
24th June 2013, 07:24 AM
I build lathes.Or modify them for use. I don't buy them. I have on a couple occasions tried to start a discussion about lathe construction, but it appears that most are comfortable with the shortcomings of their lathe or content to just continue dreaming about the 6000 dollar lathes that really are no better suited for turning wood. The friend I am talking about has had the opportunity to sample several of the HC lathe offerings and found shortcomings in each. just thought it would see since someone else brought up the idea what others may think. It is frustrating to find that so many are so extremely closed minded about the craft. Limiting their own ability by what others can do and determining that if it is done in a specific way by one of the "masters" then it does not apply. I have honestly been searching for dialogue for those who think outside the normal guide lines. It is consistent that the typical answers are in the realm of "that's not the way it's done" or " I can do that...." but offer no help on how. I was fairly excited when I first stumbled across this forum, but as most others it is only a showcase for those who can turn, a place to moan about ruined peices, and very limited real instruction for those looking for answers.

RETIRED
24th June 2013, 08:21 AM
I personally think that is a little harsh Oreos.

I enjoyed reading about your mods to the lathe as I build a lot of my own.

As with most Forums our membership is largely retired people who do turning as a hobby and whilst interested in other machines do not have the money, equipment or ability to do the modifications that you do.

They may not comment but their interest is there.

oreos40
24th June 2013, 09:32 AM
opinions cost nothing but time. I am not in a position to make an educated decision concerning sit down machines. many are. I can guarantee that one of my machines will cost way less than a one way or robust and perform as well for the intended purpose mabe better. Its like saying ones car is better than the other because it can go 150 instead of 100. What diferance does it make? one can get you a higher priced ticket. Most couldent handle the high speed anyway lol. The same people that complain that someone is making something too cheap complain about the high cost of a machine or the way someone is making something, as if because something isnt made traditionaly it isnt as valuable. not intended to be harsh but mabey a call to wake up. Often it can be true that something that is cheaper is also made out of cheaper material but not always! Sometimes someone has just been smart enough to make it better without spending more money on the process. Compare cap'n Eddie to most of the other brands of carbide tools. (deep breath) I'll go take my meds. lol

wheelinround
24th June 2013, 09:55 AM
Here's a story from Victoria of a wheelchair user

Wheelchair Turning (http://home.vicnet.net.au/~pwguild/a-wchair.htm)

chucky
24th June 2013, 02:15 PM
Chucky I suggest you have a good look at that lathe and consider the whole picture of using it let alone the cost.

I suggest that you read my original reply to this matter it states that I suggest that they look at the Vimarc lathe I have not mentioned pricing or any other matters regarding this lathe, also it may be helpful in making their own as stated.

wheelinround
24th June 2013, 02:26 PM
I suggest that you read my original reply to this matter it states that I suggest that they look at the Vimarc lathe I have not mentioned pricing or any other matters regarding this lathe, also it may be helpful in making their own as stated.

I did see that but even now can't see where you posted re suggestion of making their own?

chucky
24th June 2013, 02:34 PM
I did see that but even now can't see where you posted re suggestion of making their own?

Look at thread no3 it states that he is on process of design one. My thread is no 4 in response to no 3

coffenup
24th June 2013, 02:45 PM
Here's a story from Victoria of a wheelchair user

Wheelchair Turning (http://home.vicnet.net.au/~pwguild/a-wchair.htm)

thanks you for the link enjoyed the read gives me hope. I hope the ops works too my limp has gone but it's only been 3 weeks since the back op & 1 week since the hand op. Will post my future lathe stand mods up on the forum. If I need to do them as 20 mins is still all I can stand with out pain starting to reappear
Regards Michael

wheelinround
24th June 2013, 03:15 PM
thanks you for the link enjoyed the read gives me hope. I hope the ops works too my limp has gone but it's only been 3 weeks since the back op & 1 week since the hand op. Will post my future lathe stand mods up on the forum. If I need to do them as 20 mins is still all I can stand with out pain starting to reappear
Regards Michael

Michael no problem more and more often I see well meaning people willing to jump in and help some of us are stubborn and push them aside and we go it alone. Others need to be guided.

I have started a new Blog and it pertains to anyone mostly wheelchair users and those who can not stand for periods of time (me i can while leaning against something 5 mins tops my arms ache got to loose more weight)

Here's the new Blog Link Wheel'n'round The Workshop (http://wheelnroundworkshop.blogspot.com.au/)

oreos40
24th June 2013, 03:16 PM
I am familiar with that lathe and there are other manufacturers that do the same. take a standard lathe and put it on a stand that angles the bed to get it out of the way but the tool rest still bangs one in the knees and it is dificult and even dangerous to move the tool rest because you have to hold it up in position to lock it down. The aplication of the tools needs to be addressed as well. people suggest that the tool rest be set just below or at center line of the turning. typicaly this position will drive the handle down toward the floor where the chair gets in the way of the handle as one swings the cutting edge through contours. I think that rather than concentrating on the oreintation of the rest to the wood the orientation of the tool to the work should be emphasized. if you look at the process from the tailstock end along the work the tool could be successfuly used if the whole process was rotated clockwise making the handle more horizontal. it would take some getting used to but would allow a greater freedom to move the tool. It would also require more stamina in the arms as they would be held in an elevated position instead of further down at a mor resting station. but a second rest for the tool holder hand might be possible to offset this and could quite possibly limit catches as well! if it could move in both parallell planes with the work but not in the prependicular axis it would be quite an advantage. Like a pantograph arm.

wheelinround
24th June 2013, 03:18 PM
Here you go this is one I have in the office but is the same as the one I use in the workshop.

wheelinround
24th June 2013, 09:22 PM
Look at thread no3 it states that he is on process of design one. My thread is no 4 in response to no 3

Sorry Chucky thought differently.

wheelinround
24th June 2013, 09:31 PM
I am familiar with that lathe and there are other manufacturers that do the same. take a standard lathe and put it on a stand that angles the bed to get it out of the way but the tool rest still bangs one in the knees and it is dificult and even dangerous to move the tool rest because you have to hold it up in position to lock it down. The aplication of the tools needs to be addressed as well. people suggest that the tool rest be set just below or at center line of the turning. typicaly this position will drive the handle down toward the floor where the chair gets in the way of the handle as one swings the cutting edge through contours. I think that rather than concentrating on the oreintation of the rest to the wood the orientation of the tool to the work should be emphasized. if you look at the process from the tailstock end along the work the tool could be successfuly used if the whole process was rotated clockwise making the handle more horizontal. it would take some getting used to but would allow a greater freedom to move the tool. It would also require more stamina in the arms as they would be held in an elevated position instead of further down at a mor resting station. but a second rest for the tool holder hand might be possible to offset this and could quite possibly limit catches as well! if it could move in both parallell planes with the work but not in the prependicular axis it would be quite an advantage. Like a pantograph arm.

Ah I see you have the foresight and can tell where your heading. To place the arms raised like you say is just one of the problems I face with shoulder and neck pain for sometimes a week after from being in such positions. If sitting in a wheelchair it then places pressure elsewhere try it yourself for a few hours of serious turning you'll see what I mean. It happens to many a mechanic, spray painter and other industries who are working in those positions. How much more do you think it would be uncomfortable for sit down workers.

oreos40
25th June 2013, 01:16 PM
that is the reason I am suggesting a secondary rest for the outboard hand/arm allowing the machine to take the load leaving the operator free to guide.

chuck1
29th June 2013, 10:58 AM
it was suggested for me years ago to have a harness like a parachute with adjustable fitting to the ceiling in theory it could be an idea but the more I think about it you you would need some leg strength.
there was a guy who a set up to work on his hot rods and the ceiling of workshop had rails and he could get all around the car was amazing! not sure if it would be cheaper set up than purpose built lathe?!

wheelinround
29th June 2013, 01:14 PM
it was suggested for me years ago to have a harness like a parachute with adjustable fitting to the ceiling in theory it could be an idea but the more I think about it you you would need some leg strength.
there was a guy who a set up to work on his hot rods and the ceiling of workshop had rails and he could get all around the car was amazing! not sure if it would be cheaper set up than purpose built lathe?!

Chuck I have had the same thought and comment made. I was unaware you had a problem. For me it would be ideal I'd still use the stool tho take a bit of pressure off the groin area. I have done abseiling when younger but not with todays harness belt and ropes the old way.

chuck1
30th June 2013, 10:58 AM
Chuck I have had the same thought and comment made. I was unaware you had a problem. For me it would be ideal I'd still use the stool tho take a bit of pressure off the groin area. I have done abseiling when younger but not with todays harness belt and ropes the old way.

the doctors can't pigeonhole me and I can't spell it! basically I'm a paraplegic but can walk have spinal injury from birth and technical I should be in wheelchair permanently !
my shed has goat tracks with machines close together so if I fall I can save myself! the other device ive thought about is a shearers sling which would mean just lowering the lathe. these are ideas for my scenario.
but you still have the line of fire danger and if your strapped in makes it hard to get out the way if something let's go from the lathe not that I lose many bowls

wheelinround
30th June 2013, 02:43 PM
Chuck now this (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-06-30/quadraplegic-golfer-james-gribble-plays-from-wheelchair/4788310) is what I want...................I wouldn't mind the life style and all he's asking for trouble is I hate Golf.:roll:

I could do so much more I reckon with a wheelchair like that standing at a lathe, BS, TS, DP. Reach stuff my wife can't with out a ladder..........even in the kitchen and house.

ticklingmedusa
1st July 2013, 10:37 AM
http://www.planetmobility.com/store/standingframes/stand-aid/econo-stand/econostand3.jpg (http://www.planetmobility.com/store/standingframes/stand-aid/econo-stand/)
This is what my physical therapist called a standing frame.
They come in many configurations including units with large wheels & a small footprint on the floor for greater mobility.
Search the internet for used ortho & mobility gear for a deal.
A shop made frame & harness seems possible if you have the means & materials.
Standing has many benefits for certain users but one should always speak to a Dr. before using one.
In my case standing up suddenly can make me faint.
My wife (sci t-9) used one once on a painted-over door frame that required belt sander treatment.
She was taller than me and stronger too so after I showed her how she sanded the upper portions.
It was pretty impressive to see a non standing person on her feet again.
In a turning application on an existing lathe setup some height adjustment might be required.
Using one puts you alongside everyone else in many ways and the only real problem
becomes one of keeping the shavings out of your underwear. :oo:

wheelinround
1st July 2013, 06:40 PM
:2tsup: