PDA

View Full Version : Recipricating Therapy

Toggy
21st June 2013, 11:28 PM
Yesterday I started making an 'L' shape bracket out of 1" hot rolled plate. Last nights' effort was to knacker one of two inserts on a 1" chinese insert endmill. It is only a bit of 1018 mild; but the 'soggy noodle' (Ewan speak for HM50) and chinese endmill didn't like the job at all.

Tonights effort was to set up the job on the little Alba 10" shaper. It actually took about a 1/4 of the time to do the setup as it took on a tilting table on the vertical. This shaper has been languishing in the corner whilst I made up my mind about it's future. Gave her a good lube and checkover and put it to work. 0.030" cut and it just motored along. Very little effort to it at all. And no damage to the Bohler tool either.

Very theraputic; sitting back in the shed chair near the fire watching that slide movement with the hiss of cutting metal, clunk of tool head, growl of gears and click of advancing ratchet. Ahhh bliss. No need to stop and smell the roses; this will do me.

Main usage was lube oil and a bit of energy trying to dodge those bloody hot flying snails. I swear they have radar; no matter where you go they seek you out:D

A relaxed Ken.

Ueee
21st June 2013, 11:43 PM
There sure is nothing quite like the rhythmic song of the shaper.

I like the tern "snails", it sure does describe the chips well.
I think the way the chips fly is plain random, you could put a tin in one spot on the ground and catch ten snails without moving it, then the next ten will go in every different direction imaginable.

Cheers,
Ew

simonl
22nd June 2013, 08:28 AM
I seriously need to get myself one of those them there Shapers. The image that you have just conjured up sounds bloody relaxing!

Simon

Steamwhisperer
22nd June 2013, 08:46 AM
I seriously need to get myself one of those them there Shapers. The image that you have just conjured up sounds bloody relaxing!

Simon

It is Simon :D

Phil

RayG
22nd June 2013, 09:04 AM
Very theraputic; sitting back in the shed chair near the fire watching that slide movement with the hiss of cutting metal, clunk of tool head, growl of gears and click of advancing ratchet. Ahhh bliss. No need to stop and smell the roses; this will do me.

A relaxed Ken.

Hi Ken, you paint a nice picture... :2tsup: and no expensive milling cutters to weep over..

Regards
Ray

j.ashburn
22nd June 2013, 09:15 AM
[QUOTE=Toggy;1663849]Yesterday I started making an 'L' shape bracket out of 1" hot rolled plate. Last nights' effort was to knacker one of two inserts on a 1" chinese insert endmill. It is only a bit of 1018 mild; but the 'soggy noodle' (Ewan speak for HM50) and chinese endmill didn't like the job at all.

Tonights effort was to set up the job on the little Alba 10" shaper. It actually took about a 1/4 of the time to do the setup as it took on a tilting table on the vertical. This shaper has been languishing in the corner whilst I made up my mind about it's future. Gave her a good lube and checkover and put it to work. 0.030" cut and it just motored along. Very little effort to it at all. And no damage to the Bohler tool either.

Main usage was lube oil and a bit of energy trying to dodge those bloody hot flying snails. I swear they have radar; no matter where you go they seek you out:D
Wait till you use a bigger shaper taking a 1/2 inch cut see how far the chips fly ''steel helmets and flak jackets''needed all round. amazing what a bit of help from our great aussie icon corro iron sheet,bent around in front to catch the hot snails sounds like a slow hail storm on a tin roof:D

j.ashburn
22nd June 2013, 10:23 AM
Hi Ken, you paint a nice picture... :2tsup: and no expensive milling cutters to weep over..

Regards
Ray ! stick of HSS and away you go Cheapest tooling I know of to make a capital machine earn its keep.

Toggy
22nd June 2013, 03:40 PM
Simon,
Come on up; the heater is still going and I am sure I could tip the husky out of his chair.

J.Ash

I have an 18" Macson as well. Just don't have a toolholder yet that is strong enough to take those heavy cuts.

Ken

Stustoys
23rd June 2013, 01:07 AM
! stick of HSS and away you go Cheapest tooling I know of to make a capital machine earn its keep.
Its just dawned on me that I've spent more on milling cutters than I did on my shaper lol
I'm guessing that applies to most of us.

Stuart

simonl
23rd June 2013, 01:12 AM
Simon,
Come on up; the heater is still going and I am sure I could tip the husky out of his chair.

J.Ash

I have an 18" Macson as well. Just don't have a toolholder yet that is strong enough to take those heavy cuts.

Ken

Now that's a very tempting road trip! :D

Edit: Gee the husky wouldn't want to catch any those snails in his fur!

j.ashburn
23rd June 2013, 01:22 AM
The workshop cat ''Aggro'' has had a couple land on her now she hears that machine start up she clears off and boy cat fur smouldering stinks.:D

PDW
23rd June 2013, 09:54 AM
Its just dawned on me that I've spent more on milling cutters than I did on my shaper lol
I'm guessing that applies to most of us.

Stuart

Yeah. Not to mention all those ISO 40 holders, the R8 holders etc.

Then there's the T&C grinder to keep the cutters usable.

However that photo Richard posted the other day is an example of a job far easier to do on a mill (or big lathe) than with a shaper, so......

PDW

Steamwhisperer
23rd June 2013, 10:10 AM
However that photo Richard posted the other day is an example of a job far easier to do on a mill (or big lathe) than with a shaper, so......

PDW

Dunno Pete, with the tolerances .RC. had, on the shaper it would probably be just as easy, and cheaper, certainly not quicker though...maybe :D
Mind you, you would need the mother of all rotators for the job which would probably cost more than the mill. I'll shutup now :-

Phil

PDW
23rd June 2013, 11:17 AM
Mind you, you would need the mother of all rotators for the job which would probably cost more than the mill. I'll shutup now :-

Phil

Yeah - the rotator bit would be the problem with using a shaper. That and the outrigger needed to support the outer end.

I put a 2m bar of 200x40 steel on the B/port one time though. Needed an outboard support for that but at least it didn't have to rotate.

Might be back your way in August.

PDW

Stustoys
23rd June 2013, 01:14 PM

Didnt mean to imply I could get by without a mill. Just that for the current price of shapers they can earn their keep pretty easy(if you have the time and the space).

Stuart