PDA

View Full Version : O1 carbon steel - purchase

Black Ned
23rd June 2013, 12:54 PM
Where can I go in Newcastle/Hunter region NSW Australia
and physically purchase flat bar 2 or 3mm x 40 & 50mm wide
in small quantities i.e. 1.000m
I do not want to order on ebay or internet.

regards, Ned

twosheds
23rd June 2013, 01:39 PM
Ned..... Not sure where in Lake Macquarie you are but Bluescope Steel at Cardiff does stock a range of steel products (including flat). If that is no good then let your fingers do the walking and type steel merchants into the Yellow Pages directory. Even small fabricating workshops will often sell small quantities of steel, I'm sure there will be one near you. I usually use Hunter Metal Mart at Heatherbrae but that would be further than you need to travel I'm sure..... regards Twosheds.

RayG
23rd June 2013, 01:49 PM
Hi Ned,

Do you specifically want O1, or do you just want high carbon steel? If it's for a blade, ( just guessing ) there are other sources of high carbon steel.

I know you specifically said don't want to buy on-line, but $14 for 18" x 2" x 1/8" is hard to beat.. Precision Ground O1 Oil Hardening Flat Ground Stock / Tool Steel (http://victornet.com/report/Flat-Ground-Stock-up-to-1-8-quot-thick-/91.html) plus postage :)

Regards
Ray

Ueee
23rd June 2013, 02:06 PM
Victor's is the cheapest by a long way, even after post. I can't get anything but round locally, and its pricey once you get up to any decent size.

Cheers,
Ew

pippin88
23rd June 2013, 05:57 PM
Bohler-Uddeholm (Cardiff) carry quite a range of steel, but mostly round I think. Happy to sell in small quantities by weight.

Black Ned
24th June 2013, 08:45 AM
Thanks guys for the leads I'll give them a try.
regards, Ned