PDA

View Full Version : Homelite 10045a - is it worth fixing?

PhilthyMills
23rd June 2013, 06:17 PM
G'day All,

Friends were cleaning out their shed last week, and they have me their old 'Homelite 10045a' chainsaw.

They're not the most mechanically minded folk, and when the saw stopped it just meant immediate retirement to the shed shelf.

they reckon it hadn't had a heap of use, but never took the time to get it repaired.

I yanked the cord a few times, and it was smooth with what seemed like good compression. I removed the spark-plug to check for spark and... NUTHIN'.

The bar and chain are still reasonable, as is the sprocket.

Is this saw worth fixing?
What 'grade' of saw was it back in the day?
Are parts available, either OEM or after-market?

If the ignition is the only problem, can I get this fixed or replaced?

Here's a few pics (still grubby, I know...):

Willy Nelson
23rd June 2013, 08:34 PM
Personally, No

No chainbrake = People eater

Homelite, IMO are a cheap throway saw. I have owned a couple of modern ones, they cut well, hard to get parts for etc.

From a safety perspective, get a modern saw

Willy

BobL
23rd June 2013, 08:56 PM
That's a Homelite Super XL saw (if you look on the starter side you will see the remains of an XL) it's a 1960s saw
They are a relatively common saw but there are many many variants
See here
Chain Saw Collectors Corner - Gasoline Chain Saws by Manufacturer (http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/GasbyManufacturer?OpenView&Start=52.123&Count=30&Expand=52#52)

Old homeliness (pre 1980's or so) were very good solid saws but very few old saws can compete with a quality modern equivalent.
They are typically 60cc but the bigger (100cc) cc models are real collectors items

Fixable - yes - fleabay will have parts.
Is it worth it, if it's the big cc model then definitely but for curio value only - not worth getting it running to cut anything serious.

PhilthyMills
23rd June 2013, 09:24 PM
That's a Homelite Super XL saw (if you look on the starter side you will see the remains of an XL) it's a 1960s saw
They are a relatively common saw but there are many many variants
See here
Chain Saw Collectors Corner - Gasoline Chain Saws by Manufacturer (http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/GasbyManufacturer?OpenView&Start=52.123&Count=30&Expand=52#52)

Old homeliness (pre 1980's or so) were very good solid saws but very few old saws can compete with a quality modern equivalent.
They are typically 60cc but the bigger (100cc) cc models are real collectors items

Fixable - yes - fleabay will have parts.
Is it worth it, if it's the big cc model then definitely but for curio value only - not worth getting it running to cut anything serious.

Thanks BobL and Willy Nelson. Reckon you blokes have just made up my mind for me...
Nup, not happening.