PDA

View Full Version : Playing with my Bowl Saver

corbs
23rd June 2013, 09:13 PM
I've had a bowl saver for a while now and decided to have a play with it for the first time today. I used a piece of Elm which I salvaged from the local Police station a few months ago.

I got the alignment right on the first cut but think I set it too shallow on the second. The three blanks are now sitting in a plastic bag filled with shavings and in six months or so I will finish them off.

I stalled the lathe a few times on the first cut but upped the speed and that seemed to help a lot.

Corbs

Nai84
23rd June 2013, 09:54 PM
Very nice looking mate looks like a heaps of fun to

Ian

corbs
23rd June 2013, 11:24 PM
Yep, mixed my threads up :D. Pens in wood turning general and bowls in with the pens :rolleyes:

RETIRED
23rd June 2013, 11:38 PM
Chooks for a month as a penance.:wink:

corbs
23rd June 2013, 11:44 PM

I will add two uppercuts to my punishment and make a point not to post two threads at the same time again :B

RETIRED
23rd June 2013, 11:51 PM
:cool:

Drillit
24th June 2013, 09:50 AM
Corbs,
which specie of bowl saver do you use. I am uncertain of which way to go. I have tried 2. Drillit.:?

I've had a bowl saver for a while now and decided to have a play with it for the first time today. I used a piece of Elm which I salvaged from the local Police station a few months ago.

I got the alignment right on the first cut but think I set it too shallow on the second. The three blanks are now sitting in a plastic bag filled with shavings and in six months or so I will finish them off.

I stalled the lathe a few times on the first cut but upped the speed and that seemed to help a lot.

Corbs

turnerted
24th June 2013, 05:03 PM
Corbs
I noticed you have no handle on your bowlsaver. Are you using it like this or do you have a removable handle ?Also the butt end of your large cutter should be level with the edge of the rotating platform .The way you have it, in some situations,it will hit the blank near the end of the cut.
Ted

corbs
24th June 2013, 06:58 PM
Corbs,
which specie of bowl saver do you use. I am uncertain of which way to go. I have tried 2. Drillit.:?

Drillit, I've got a woodcut bowl saver. I've still got a bit to learn with it but I think we're going to be friends :)

Corbs
I noticed you have no handle on your bowlsaver. Are you using it like this or do you have a removable handle ?Also the butt end of your large cutter should be level with the edge of the rotating platform .The way you have it, in some situations,it will hit the blank near the end of the cut.
Ted

Thanks Ted, the bowl saver now has a nice custom made Jarrah handle but I used it without a handle in the pics. Thanks for the tip on the large cutter alignment as well. It was set up for the big cutter for the first cut which turned out to be too big so I quickly switched it. I will be more aware of the positioning when I pull it out next :wink:

chuck1
24th June 2013, 07:51 PM
nice and well done! wish I had one!

NeilS
28th June 2013, 11:22 PM
Good to see the Woodcut getting a workout, Corbs.

Starting to pay for itself already...:)

I found with a lower powered lathe (1.5HP) that faster works better. Also. Steven Russell's “Fluid-Pulsed” method helps, see Step 2 near bottom of this page (http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com/center-saver.html).

Willy Nelson
28th June 2013, 11:38 PM

Are you an ex Jack as well?
Willy

corbs
29th June 2013, 10:29 AM
I think this (http://www.cws.au.com/shop/item/woodcut-bowlsaver-laser-guide) will be my next addition to the bowl saver. I've seen one used with it and the set up is much quicker and efficient. It looks pretty simple so will try and make something up in the shed before I go spending $100 plus postage. I don't see any reason why I couldn't put something together which will do the same thing for less than half the price.

Jim Carroll
29th June 2013, 12:25 PM
Andrew the advantage of the laser is you can pre plan your cuts before making a mess of everything.

You can also optimise the amount of bowls out of the one peice.

turnerted
29th June 2013, 04:59 PM
Corbs
Have a look at my posting 20/4/12 "a simple laser guide for the woodcut bowlsaver"
Ted

corbs
29th June 2013, 05:19 PM
Thanks for that Ted. My original intention was to source some 1/2" UNF threaded rod and replace the bolt to have the whole rig set up ready to go but I like your idea of the 1/2" UNC bolt glued to the unit and then use the cheaper and readily available UNC threaded rod which can be replaced. I found a good little 1mW red laser from Jaycar for $10 but I have to wire up the power source which is easy enough but I want to have a complete unit if possible so will source other off the shelf ones first.

Is there really a preference for green over red laser though? I wouldn't have thought it would make much of a difference.

Here's (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/simple-guide-woodcut-bowlsaver-151401/#post1476528) the link to Ted's original post as well :2tsup:

turnerted
30th June 2013, 04:59 PM
Corbs
It's just that the green ones are brighter, but in your application, the red one should be fine.If you ever use a laser guide for deep hollowing there is a big difference.
Ted

corbs
30th June 2013, 09:54 PM
Two green lasers have been ordered through Ebay Australia. One for the jig and the other to freak the cat out with :D

RETIRED
30th June 2013, 10:23 PM
Mean mongrel.:D

dai sensei
30th June 2013, 11:35 PM
Two green lasers have been ordered through Ebay Australia..

Just remember, no pointing at aeroplanes :no:

turnerted
1st July 2013, 05:03 PM
Did you see the riots in Egypt on TV with green laser lights being flashed everywhere?
Ted