PDA

View Full Version : Wood Filler

manodav
25th June 2013, 02:29 PM
I'm turning a platter from a beaut piece of camphor laurel, and have a biggish imperfection on the outer edge, and a bit in the middle, which I'd like to fill. As it's difficult to match colour, I think a deep black filler would do the trick - I'd want to be able to turn over the filled area, and to finish with the rest of the piece.

Can anyone suggest the best filler material to use which either is available in black, or, if not, that I can mix in some black colouring. I've seen "black CA" mentioned in an old thread on the forum - don't know if this is available to buy. Otherwise any other suggestions to solve my problem and save this beaut piece of timber??

Someone mentioned Selley;s No more Cracks Wood Filler - anyone had experience using this - can it be coloured and can it be turned?

Thanks

manodav

Drillit
25th June 2013, 02:37 PM
I would suggest that you mix two part epoxy (equal) and buy the heavy one (thick like the bote cote type) and add to it black acrlyic (similar consistency). The colours available are mixable with the epoxy. YOU CAN BUY THESE FROM MEGAPOXY who are at Thornleigh NSW. I have found this to be a terrific product. NB. Do you use oil paint or water colour paints - only the special acrylic paint suitable to epoxy.
I know that some use Jo Sonja paints, but I havent tried them. There are a range of colours available, blue, black, red etc. Hope this helps. Drillit.

I'm turning a platter from a beaut piece of camphor laurel, and have a biggish imperfection on the outer edge, and a bit in the middle, which I'd like to fill. As it's difficult to match colour, I think a deep black filler would do the trick - I'd want to be able to turn over the filled area, and to finish with the rest of the piece.

Can anyone suggest the best filler material to use which either is available in black, or, if not, that I can mix in some black colouring. I've seen "black CA" mentioned in an old thread on the forum - don't know if this is available to buy. Otherwise any other suggestions to solve my problem and save this beaut piece of timber??

Thanks

manodav

Tim the Timber Turner
25th June 2013, 06:56 PM
Coloured powder paint from art suppliers or newsagents.

Mix this with epoxy and add a dash of shavings from the lathe.

Add some sanding dust if you like.

The shavings break up the solid plastic look of the finished job.

Some use coffee grounds or instant coffee powder.

Cheers

Tim:)

hughie
25th June 2013, 07:10 PM
Be good if you could show us a image of the problem. But, you want to stay away from black CA as its going to be expensive for large voids etc.
Bunnies sell sample colour pots, not paint, I use them to colour my epoxy and they work very well.

dai sensei
25th June 2013, 08:59 PM
Black CA is a rubberised product and not really suitable for filling voids anyway.

For large voids you can use old dried coffee grinds (not instant, it can stain your work), or paint pigments mixed with either epoxy or casting resins. The epoxy sticks better but doesn't finish as well as casting resin, or at least it is not as shiny, although that may be what you want.

For a clear product, use the casting resin or clear casting epoxy, not normal epoxy.

Cheers

Grommett
25th June 2013, 09:12 PM
I've used coffee grounds and PVA glue quite successfully. I have also heard of using Bondcrete and sawdust as a filler.

Paul39
26th June 2013, 12:29 PM
Coloured powder paint from art suppliers or newsagents.

Mix this with epoxy and add a dash of shavings from the lathe.

Add some sanding dust if you like.

The shavings break up the solid plastic look of the finished job.

Some use coffee grounds or instant coffee powder.

Cheers

Tim:)

I use all of the above with two part clear epoxy, or yellow carpenters glue. sometimes I pack in the hole dry and squirt CA glue in. I save a little jar of fine shavings and dust of various colors of wood to use.