PDA

View Full Version : Old lathe

Glenrob
25th June 2013, 07:46 PM
G'day all,

Today I finally got around to doing what I had planned for an old wood lathe that was given to me a while ago. It was supposed to be a non functioning unit and was only intended as either scrap or for anything I could salvage from it that I could possibly make some use of on my property.
As I already have a Durden lathe which serves my purposes well enough, I had no real use for another, so what I had decided was once I had proven that the head stock (with the motor inside) was still functional, I wanted to remove it from the lathe bed and set it up on my bench as a dedicated buffing machine. So after removing the head stock from the rest of the lathe bed and fitting a new power lead, it was fired up and ran quite well. So I spent the rest of the day cleaning it up and turning up a new spindle on the metal lathe to where I now have the basis for a nice dedicated buffing machine.
Anyhow, the real reason for this post is that I am now left with the remnants of the left overs and though there is a certain amount of surface rust, it all seems quite useable to someone who has the need or ability to make use of my left-overs.
The lathe itself is stamped with a plate reading 1/2 HP 50hz GMF Brook Crompton Betts P/L. Manufactured in 1995 in the 9th month, Model #1-Took1440 with a 1 metre bed capacity. I'll need my glasses to read the serial number if anyone is interested.
So if anyone has any use for what's left over, they are more than welcome to it.
Sorry for the long drawn out description, bit I thought it best to explain how this all come about.

Regards,
Bob

Jim Carroll
25th June 2013, 08:00 PM
Bob what you have described is the motor specs, common on quite a few lathes here in Aus

Pictures will help to identify what the actaul lathe may be

Glenrob
26th June 2013, 09:37 AM
Yeah, I realise what I posted was mostly info about the motor, but there was also the brand name included. The reason I put all this info down was that maybe someone would possibly recognise this particular lathe and have an idea of what sort of machine I was talking about. Would have posted pics with the post, but with all the rain we had here yesterday, I was barely able to get as far as I did.
Hopefully now that the rain has stopped (135mls in one day), I should be able to get a pic for you all.
My mate is actually land locked at my place because of the rain, so with his help we should be able to drag it out of the old shed it's in. We actually had to dismantle it in the shed because it's bolted to a large oregon plank.
Watch this space........:U

Bob