PDA

View Full Version : DVD 2 channel or 5.1 ?

tdrumnut
26th June 2013, 04:47 PM
I have a spare TV that I have a spot for in the shed and want to attach a DVD. As it will only be used for playing woodwork DVDs I will be getting just a basic el cheapo but the two I am looking at are a 2 channel or a 5.1 channel. Can anyone tell me what the difference is. Thanksnin advance.

maggs
26th June 2013, 05:23 PM
This refers to the sound output decoder capabilities of the DVD player.

2 channel - Left and right (stereo)
5.1 - Left Front, Right Front, Centre. Left Rear, Right Rear and subwoofer (surround sound)

Most TV's can only play 2 channel sound. A 5.1 audio output from the DVD won't be of any use unless one day you decide to add a surround sound amplifier and speakers.

If the price difference isn't too much it may be handy to have a 5.1 backup for the house if applicable.

tdrumnut
26th June 2013, 07:29 PM
This refers to the sound output decoder capabilities of the DVD player.

2 channel - Left and right (stereo)
5.1 - Left Front, Right Front, Centre. Left Rear, Right Rear and subwoofer (surround sound)

Most TV's can only play 2 channel sound. A 5.1 audio output from the DVD won't be of any use unless one day you decide to add a surround sound amplifier and speakers.

If the price difference isn't too much it may be handy to have a 5.1 backup for the house if applicable.

Thanks Maggs now I know, I'll get the 5.1 as they were the same price.