PDA

View Full Version : Capturing dust from sliding mitre saw

Eastie
16th October 2002, 02:52 PM
I've hooked the old electrolux up to the dust bag port on the makita LS 1013 with ok success in regards to capturing fine dust.

Problem is larger bits still fly out as they have too much momentum to get entrained up into the back of the housing and through the dust port.

Has anyone experimented with additional screening to channel saw dust dust towards the extraction port, especially all the stuff that seems to shoot out towards the right hand side?

John Saxton
16th October 2002, 11:41 PM
Hi Eastie,having experienced similar problems earlier on I found the "draw" power at the vacuum extraction unit is probably insufficient where the cfm is restrictive by its very nature.

Must admit I didn't try filtering the larger portions as I could not see how it could be done.

Got fed up and moved up to a 1hp dust extraction mobile unit ...then things just got worse ...ended up with a big dent in credit card and large extraction unit with ducting.
This post won't help you but you can see how it can deteriorate credit wise unless you find a solution or put up with your present situation.

------------------
Johnno

DarrylF
17th October 2002, 07:17 AM
I've come to the conclusion that it's just not possible to effectively collect sawdust from a mitre saw. I tried a few different things with my Dewalt 10" compound mitre.

In the end I built a setup into the bench that both extracts from the dust port at the back of the saw, and from underneath through the base. Ran it to my DC. Took most of a day to set up. It collects maybe 30-40% if I'm lucky.

Best thing I can suggest is to build an area behind the saw that collects the sawdust in one area - like an open box - and then use a shop vac or DC to clean up when you're finished. I've seen a few suggestions of using that sort of setup with a 4" DC port running up to the bottom of the box, but I have my doubts about that working properly.

Anyone got any better ideas?

zathras
17th October 2002, 08:27 AM
I built an open box like Darryl said, but I've got my dust being sucked up wards through the top thru 4" ducting

Certainly doesn't pick up the heavy stuff, but I certainly do notice the fine dust explosion if I don't have the dust extractor turned on.

As others have said, I live with the clean up job - which is trapped in the box anyway but fell comfortable that most of the fine stuff that just hangs in the air is swept away.

The onlt reason mine sucks from above is because I built a cyclone pre-separator and the entry point is 6' or so off the ground and the ducting runs overhead !

Cheers Ray

soundman
17th October 2002, 10:04 AM
I don't think perfect extraction will ever be achieved with any mitre saw But.
I found some improvement with my recently departed delta by extending the shroud at the rear of the blade with some cardboard & gaffa tape, small improvement.
A mate of mine had the box behind with 4" extractor as well as the vac, still not the best.

For a reality check try running the thing without the bag or vac & see how much dust it sprays about.

I think the source of the problem is the variety of angles and stuff that the machines will do. It makes it difficult to make a capturing system.

When you cut aluminium it gets much worse the balistic nature of the particles makes em go every which way even with good dust extraction.
My metabo which has a standard 4" dust port & extraction out the back & under the deck still makes a mess.

Ive learnt to take hart from what ends up in the bag & compare that with the small ammount on the floor.

cheers

Eastie
17th October 2002, 10:24 AM
I’ve thought of hooking up a capture box at the back but I won’t be able to get the capture velocity needed with my current dust extractor nor vac.
I also found that the vac somehow works better than the dust extractor – back to the books.

I tried a plastic shroud taped behind and around the back of the blade – little difference.

From half a day of cutting on the weekend I found little settled fine dust on anything in the shed, so I guess I’ll live with the ½ hour cleanup of the bigger stuff.

Thanks all for the replies.

Eastie.