PDA

View Full Version : Old turning

Dalboy
27th June 2013, 06:00 AM
Don't know why I did not post this when I made it. Anyway this is the "Gymball" that I made for a competition back in 2011 and sent up to London to one of the large woodworking shows. I entered it into the Novice category which is for people that had not entered any competitions before.

The ball is made from ply, the rings are mahogany and the base from beech, the swivel pins are olive wood. To give a idea of size the ball is 4" diameter.
It came Third winning me a set of Robert Sorby tools

dr4g0nfly
27th June 2013, 06:37 AM
Digger,

A wooden Gimbal is a truly amazing item, does it actually work smoothly?

How did you do in the competition?

artme
27th June 2013, 01:42 PM
PBG & WD.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Christos
27th June 2013, 06:52 PM
I like the look of this piece. I am wondering what it would look like if the ball was solid wood?

Paul39
28th June 2013, 12:53 PM
Digger,

Very Nice!

Are the segmented rings doweled or pinned or just glued?

Dalboy
1st July 2013, 07:44 AM
Sorry for late reply everyone I have been away since Thursday and only just got back.

dr4g0nfly I did say in the original post it came third and I won a set of robert sorby tools. And yes it does return to the upright position if you tip it and then place it back onto its base.

Christos I did think about solid wood when I made it I think it would probably look good with a nice piece of burr of any wood that would contrast with the rest.

Paul39 The segments are just glued.

One of the judges told me at another show that she caught some children playing with it and soon put a stop to that.