PDA

View Full Version : " I's had enough and enough is too much!"

robo hippy
28th June 2013, 06:48 AM
Reed is off fishing for a week and wanted this posted for safety reasons

http://youtu.be/F4qIM_-Jzgk

Bruce White
28th June 2013, 11:34 AM
Excellent video Reed. I use the same method as you and, whilst I have had a number of "flying objects" both small and large - mostly green wood or when trying to use a tenon, have not felt that any were a great threat to my well-being.

And I too use scrapers almost exclusively - hardly ever use gouges now, to the point where they feel strange on the odd occasion I do.

You are spot on. Stand out of the way and use a recess when reversing the bowl. Works for me too.

NeilS
29th June 2013, 03:24 PM
Thanks RH.

We can't be reminded too often about basic safety.

If you do a technical course in this country one of the first subjects you do is OH&S (Occupational Health & Safety). It's mandatory.

No such requirements if it's a hobby or preoccupation, but the risks are often greater.

And the older we are the more prone we are; none of us is immune.

I never pass up an opportunity to reduce my complacency.

Thanks again

coffenup
29th June 2013, 09:04 PM
thanks for posting this I have never thought of line of fire before
Now has put a scare in me. I have had bowls on tennons come off the lathe but had always been out of the line of fire & bounce across the work shop with no injuries just a scare
Many regards
Michael

chuck1
29th June 2013, 09:08 PM
very informative! and when you look at most lathes the on/off switch puts you in the line of fire!

RETIRED
30th June 2013, 08:55 AM
thanks for posting this I have never thought of line of fire before
Now has put a scare in me. I have had bowls on tennons come off the lathe but had always been out of the line of fire & bounce across the work shop with no injuries just a scare
Many regards
Michael

You haven't looked at these?

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/safety-videos-161992/

Particularly this one.

Woodturning for learners. Lathe safety Video4 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1944XjoRho&feature=plcp)

coffenup
30th June 2013, 11:50 AM
thanks for that info as I am self taught I now have learnt more for my own safety there are things there that I already do but a couple that I was not doing but will change
Regards Michael

DaveTTC
30th June 2013, 12:01 PM
Book marking this for consideration later today

NeilS
30th June 2013, 12:33 PM
...most lathes the on/off switch puts you in the line of fire!

That is why a moveable control was an essential feature on my selection list when I purchased my last lathe a few years ago; even more essential when you turn outboard with the headstock swivelled 90 degrees, as I mostly do.

If the control is fixed to the lathe while turning like that you can't get to it without moving through the 'firing line'.

Fortunately most of the major brands with swivel head lathes now have a moveable control in one form or another.

NeilS
30th June 2013, 06:54 PM
... you can't get to it without moving through the 'firing line'.

PS - same problem with lathes where the headstock is slid to the tailstock end of the bed for outboard turning.

rsser
1st July 2013, 02:35 PM
Good reminder Reed.

I'd add with irregular blanks start slow; and with all blanks start slow if there's loose bark.

But that's no guarantee either.

With green blanks also regularly check the mounting. Cutting > friction > heat > shrinkage.

And there's line of fire and line of bounce which is a bit harder to predict.

With suspected faults that you want to work around, use the CA or epoxy treatment or while working the inside use some non-stretch tape wrapped around.

Good luck with the fishing.

turnerted
1st July 2013, 05:22 PM
Anyone know if there are any "after market" moveable control units around that I could fit to my Vicmarc ?All I would need is stop and start buttons and forward/reverse switch . Probably don't even need the forward/reverse as part of the control unit as I'm not going to change that while the lathe is running.
It has always concerned me that I would have to pass through the line of fire to get to the switch when outboard turning if anything went wrong although I could just pull the plug out.
Ted

RETIRED
1st July 2013, 06:17 PM
Vicmarc sell them to fit most of their lathes but be aware that they sometimes just aren't "plug and play.":wink:

Pat
1st July 2013, 06:52 PM
Vicmarc has "Plug and Swear" models as well. I thought that was only PC related gear:;

rsser
1st July 2013, 07:31 PM
It has always concerned me that I would have to pass through the line of fire to get to the switch when outboard turning if anything went wrong although I could just pull the plug out. Ted

If that's an option you're nimble enough not to be reading this thread!

DaveTTC
1st July 2013, 08:12 PM
Anyone know if there are any "after market" moveable control units around that I could fit to my Vicmarc ?All I would need is stop and start buttons and forward/reverse switch . Probably don't even need the forward/reverse as part of the control unit as I'm not going to change that while the lathe is running.
It has always concerned me that I would have to pass through the line of fire to get to the switch when outboard turning if anything went wrong although I could just pull the plug out.
Ted

Aldi just recently had remote switches and foot controls on sale. The foot control is probably the best as you obviously don't need your hands. You can lean out of harms way if need be and still turn it off. You just plug your lathe into the control and control into the power point.

NeilS
1st July 2013, 08:13 PM
Here we are Remote for Vicmarc (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/remote-vicmarc-109791/)

PS - I'm also a "a sook, woosy and a sissy"... :-

Kidbee
1st July 2013, 08:57 PM
Safety is paramount. Had a friend with a dent in the front of his skull from a flying bowl. Scarred for life. He was a beginner with a "bull at a gate" attitude.

RETIRED
1st July 2013, 10:46 PM
Here we are Remote for Vicmarc (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/remote-vicmarc-109791/)

PS - I'm also a "a sook, woosy and a sissy"... :-Self preservation has always been high on my list of priorities as well.:wink:

robo hippy
2nd July 2013, 12:09 PM
I do remember your safety videos, I can't remember if I commented, but they are great, especially for beginners. I really need to come down there some day to play.... Fishing was great, I figure camp food was worth about a pound a day. Went to NW Ontario Canada to a conservation lake with my 90 year old dad, some brothers and others. Hang out, fish, and be disgusting guys for 5 days. Now, back to the real world.

robo hippy

RETIRED
2nd July 2013, 01:08 PM
Thanks Reed. Sometimes it is nice to let the animal in us loose.:D

turnerted
2nd July 2013, 05:49 PM
Thanks for the link to remote controls.The Vicmarc unit looks like it is designed for use with EVS and would be a bit overkill for my lathe as I have mechanical variable speed .I'd better have a chat with my electrician mate.
Ted