PDA

View Full Version : What's a suitable finish for a large outdoor brazier?

grd
29th June 2013, 02:21 AM
I'm making a brazier/fire pit, mainly from bits of scrap with a few bits of new merchant bar. The narrower uprights in the photo are the new bits of steel. I'm undecided as to what finish I should use. I'd really like to do a black oxide finish with used oil, but is it at all practical (or even possible) to do with heating small sections with a blow torch?

If it had all been made of scrap I'd have been quite happy to leave it rusty, but the new steel kind of spoils that look. I suppose I could accelerate the rusting by spraying on some acid. Perhaps, as it's going to have a fire sitting in it, it's all academic and whatever finish I put on it won't last too long anyway.

I'm open to any and all suggestions :?

Thanks,

Graeme

Michael G
29th June 2013, 07:42 AM
What would happen if you encouraged a film of rust and then treated with a rust converter to change that into black iron oxide?
You are right though - any paint or finish is likely to burn off, so it's going to have to be left either natural or have a specialty coating. There was a recent post where someone was cleaning up a cast iron fireplace. Perhaps that stuff may last at temperature?

Michael

BobL
29th June 2013, 09:23 AM
Perhaps, as it's going to have a fire sitting in it, it's all academic and whatever finish I put on it won't last too long anyway.

I'm open to any and all suggestions :?

I agree, no matter what you do to it (even a phosphoric acid treatment or cast iron stove treatments) the fire will eventually affect. I would just light a larger than usual fire in it to accelerate the process.

Ueee
29th June 2013, 12:57 PM
I agree, no matter what you do to it (even a phosphoric acid treatment or cast iron stove treatments) the fire will eventually affect. I would just light a larger than usual fire in it to accelerate the process.

I agree with the big fire, maybe douse it in linseed or even motor oil first so that the sections that wouldn't normally get super hot have a coat on then too. Or burn some nice resiny pine and get a pitch lke coating on it all.

Cheers,
Ew

RayG
29th June 2013, 01:14 PM
What about black lead... the stuff that used to be used for fire grates... not sure where you'd get it nowadays?

Regards
Ray

rodweb
29th June 2013, 11:09 PM
I'd just get some stove paint. Isn't that what a brazier is?

Oldneweng
29th June 2013, 11:10 PM
What would happen if you encouraged a film of rust and then treated with a rust converter to change that into black iron oxide?
You are right though - any paint or finish is likely to burn off, so it's going to have to be left either natural or have a specialty coating. There was a recent post where someone was cleaning up a cast iron fireplace. Perhaps that stuff may last at temperature?

Michael

That would be this thread http://www.woodworkforums.com/f65/cast-iron-fireplace-question-restoring-using-penetrol-liberon-iron-paste-171905/.

It was the liberon product. Sounds good but may be expensive here in Oz.

Dean

Grahame Collins
1st July 2013, 10:18 PM
Heat resistant paint as in'

Stove Bright Paints Australia - High Temperature and Heat Resistant Paint & Powder (http://www.stovebright.com.au/paintpowder.htm)

or the stuff Supercheap has for painting extractors on cars

White knight makes a paint for BBQs pot belly black or similar name.

KBs PensNmore
1st July 2013, 10:33 PM
I'd just get some stove paint. Isn't that what a brazier is?

Why would you want to paint something a woman wears????????:?

Oldneweng
2nd July 2013, 10:55 PM
Why would you want to paint something a woman wears????????:?

To make it a different colour of course! A change is as good as a holiday, or in this case.......... I'll leave that one alone.

On a more serious note just be careful of what you buy as some of these have very serious chemicals released during drying process. I looked at paints for wood kitchen range and changed my mind after reading the precautions. Ok outside I guess.

Dean