PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Pallet Challenge Mk III - Register Here

Christos
1st July 2013, 09:26 PM
2013 Pallet Challenge Mk III

Make something, anything from a standard pallet.

Start Date: 9th July 2013
Finish Date and Photo Submission: 6pm Saturday, 10th August 2013

Voting Opens: sometime Monday, 12th August 2013
Voting Closes: 6pm Sunday, 18th August 2013

Materials:
Entrants to obtain ONE standard size shipping timber pallet (approximately 1200mm x 1200mm). It must be made of timber only (eg not plywood, mdf or chipboard). It can be brand new, weathered, falling to pieces, burnt, any state at all provided it’s solid timber and it’s a pallet.

No other timber is allowed, although 20% of the total material may be of a different material. For example it could be stainless steel for a negative detail, hinges, runners, handles or knobs etc.

Construction:
You can use any form of construction, dowels and biscuits are allowed. Use every single bit or the smallest splinter of the pallet to create your master piece.

How to Enter:
Entry is open to all Forumites. Please register by posting “I’m in” or similar within this thread.

The entry must be started and (hopefully) finished within the competition dates.

Submissions:
All entries must be sent via email to Christos by 6 pm Saturday, 10th August 2013. I'll send the details to all entrants a little closer to the submission date.

Please send in 5 photos of your project, including a photo of the pallet you picked up. All pictures must be sent via email to Christos on or before the finishing time and date, 6pm 10th August 2013.

Photos sent must meet the same criteria as the Forum Photo standards as this will make it easier for you to send in your submission and for us to create the photo vote thread.

Please send photos of your pallet and project even if it's unfinished, so we can still have a look at what you were up to.

Judging:
Judging will be in two parts. Part One will be an average score derived from the input of three anonymous Judges. Part Two will be from the results of an anonymous poll on the forums, this keeps it nice, easy, clean and fair.

The poll will be open from the day the photo thread is up and will close at 6pm on the following Sunday, 18th August 2013.

In the event of a draw, the final decision will be made by forum administrators Ubeaut and , both of whom have judged at national level.

Please Note: If you blog your entry, post pictures of your entry anywhere, or identify your work before the voting closes, you will be disqualified.http://www.ubeaut.biz/nono.gif

Prizes:

3rd Place
Bunnies gift voucher for $25 Donated by anonymous member

2nd Place
Bunnies gift voucher for $50 together with a copy of "A Polishers Handbook". Donated by u-Beaut

1st Place
One of our baby esky cooler packs containing:

White Shellac (dewaxed) 500ml bottle
EEE-Ultra Shine 250ml
Swansdown Buff 6"x 75 fold
A Polishers Handbook
U-Beaut Polishes cap
Baby u-beaut Esky cooler
Bound u-beaut note pad
A U-Beaut pen
Valued at well over $150

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachments/f135/266110d1367506227t-u-beaut-brisbane-show-flat-surfaces-wback.jpg Donated by u-Beaut

Most Creative Use of a Pallet Award - Bugger if I know what to say, ??? :whatonearth::clap3:
Please note all times are referenced with UTC+ 10 (Sydney Melbourne Canberra)

So who is in? :U Register away! :2tsup:

corbs
1st July 2013, 11:18 PM
I'm in... I have no idea if I will have time to get something finished though :rolleyes:

corbs
2nd July 2013, 08:27 PM
As the only entry so far I think I've got this thing in the bag :wink:

Where are the other competitors?

Christos
2nd July 2013, 10:17 PM
Could be a last minute rush.

corbs
2nd July 2013, 10:23 PM
Could be a last minute rush.

That would greatly diminish my chances :rolleyes:

CMB
2nd July 2013, 10:50 PM
I'll give it a bash. Just have to work out where I can "borrow" a pallet.

tea lady
3rd July 2013, 07:14 PM
I'll have another go. Was very fun the last times.

Pirate323i
3rd July 2013, 11:42 PM
I have no ideas.... but count me in, I will see what i can do! :rolleyes:

corbs
4th July 2013, 07:33 AM
Four in... there goes my podium finish :;

Sebastiaan56
4th July 2013, 12:46 PM
Im in,

A quick clarification. 1200mm square I assume that can be from several pallets? There are a lot around that are imported with nice pine etc :D

illcrabmagik
4th July 2013, 03:20 PM
If anyone is in the SE suburbs of Melbourne there's a huge pile on North Road labelled 'free firewood' and there's always heaps down on Cochranes Road.

So now I have given myself no excuse . . .

Christos
4th July 2013, 09:32 PM
Im in,

A quick clarification. 1200mm square I assume that can be from several pallets? There are a lot around that are imported with nice pine etc :D

I am going to have say one pallet.

Snakey
4th July 2013, 09:57 PM
Im in

coffenup
4th July 2013, 10:16 PM
I will try subject to health if my body lets me play I will enter
Regards Michael

Evanism
5th July 2013, 04:24 AM
I'm in.

Oooohhhh, so many ideas!

Trav
5th July 2013, 08:54 AM
I'm in too.

Trav

Cliff Rogers
6th July 2013, 10:25 AM
I'm watching, not at home, don't have a shed at present.

gazaly
8th July 2013, 07:54 PM
Yeah, I'll have a stab, if only to keep Corb's honest....

Even got me pallet :2tsup:

gazaly
8th July 2013, 07:57 PM
Can I ask if there are any limitations on finish, i.e. stain, paint, wax, oil etc?

Christos
8th July 2013, 08:19 PM
Can I ask if there are any limitations on finish, i.e. paint, wax, oil etc?

There are no limitation on the type of finish.

There is one thing that I have to point out and that you can not use the pallet in the photo as you have just shown everyone your pallet. So sending that photo in will disqualify you from the challenge.

I have copied and pasted the rule that this is referring to.

Please Note: If you blog your entry, post pictures of your entry anywhere, or identify your work before the voting closes, you will be disqualified.http://www.ubeaut.biz/nono.gif
I am sorry but I can not bend the rules.

gazaly
8th July 2013, 08:47 PM
There is one thing that I have to point out and that you can not use the pallet in the photo as you have just shown everyone your pallet. So sending that photo in will disqualify you from the challenge.
I have copied and pasted the rule that this is referring to.

Please Note: If you blog your entry, post pictures of your entry anywhere, or identify your work before the voting closes, you will be disqualified.

In my opinion, my ENTRY has yet to be identified, blogged, posted etc, the pallet has! :no: If anything, it's keeping everything above board, showing the pallet I was going to use to create my ENTRY!
What advantage I could possibly gain from showing a picture of the pallet is beyond me. :?

I will take myself away and have a long hard look at myself.

corbs
8th July 2013, 08:50 PM
... if only to keep Corb's honest....

Good luck with that :;

gazaly
8th July 2013, 08:53 PM
Good luck with that :;

Sorry mate, I've been a naughty boy....:roll:

corbs
8th July 2013, 08:54 PM

So please delete my posts above, and remove my request to enter...

Don't go Gaz, just use another pallet. I need an incentive to be honest remember :q

gazaly
8th July 2013, 09:26 PM
Don't go Gaz, just use another pallet. I need an incentive to be honest remember :q

Will see how I go getting another pallet mate!

Sebastiaan56
9th July 2013, 11:47 AM
I am going to have say one pallet.

OK, Im still in.

Pagie
9th July 2013, 10:24 PM
I'm in.

Christos
9th July 2013, 11:32 PM
So far we have the following members that have registered for the pallet challenge.

corbs
CMB
Tea Lady
Priate3231
Sebastiaan56
illcarbmagik
Snakey
coffenup
Evanism
Trav
Gazaly
Pagie

Today is the first day of the competition and since I have absolutely no way of keeping the suspense with silence or an add break I will request that everyone pause for a moment......... pause ........

Welcome back, when we last left our pallet-est they were facing the challenge of finding a pallet as today is the start of the competition we find that some pallet-est are...

Sorry that's joke not going to work. :rolleyes:

corbs
9th July 2013, 11:36 PM
I'm looking good for a finish in the top 12 now :2tsup:

Sebastiaan56
10th July 2013, 09:21 AM
I'm looking good for a finish in the top 12 now :2tsup:

Have you finished yet Corbs?

Christos
10th July 2013, 06:28 PM
In a couple of weeks I will be sending out a PM to the registered members to advise the email address to send 5 photos including one of the pallet and one of the finished item.

corbs
10th July 2013, 06:37 PM
Have you finished yet Corbs?

I don't even know if I can achieve what I'm planning but I figure with 12 entrants, top 12 isn't an unrealistic expectation :rolleyes:

coffenup
11th July 2013, 11:49 PM
I will try subject to health if my body lets me play I will enter
Regards Michael

I will reverse the above comment as I cant even use a hammer at the moment it hurts to much
sorry peoples have a great completion if things change but doubt it
regards Michael

Christos
12th July 2013, 09:59 PM
I will reverse the above comment as I cant even use a hammer at the moment it hurts to much
sorry peoples have a great completion if things change but doubt it
regards Michael

I am sorry to see you go. Hope you are feeling better and at least participate in the general voting once the competition concludes.

As for the rest of you the odds have increased in getting a podium finish.

Sebastiaan56
15th July 2013, 08:58 AM
Well that didnt work... Its good to know there are limitations to these materials :- The big question, do I start again with a new pallet?

corbs
15th July 2013, 07:27 PM
Well that didnt work... Its good to know there are limitations to these materials :- The big question, do I start again with a new pallet?

I've got another pallet in the back of my ute just in case :rolleyes:... no idea what I'm going to do with it if Plan A doesn't work though :B

Christos
15th July 2013, 09:23 PM

Yes you can start again.

terryvk6pq
20th July 2013, 07:40 PM
I'm in.....I've got a project half made from a magazine article that I picked up at the tip.
Hope to finish it in time.
Terryvk6pq

Christos
23rd July 2013, 10:05 PM
That's good. You do have a few weeks to get the project completed.

captainkirk
28th July 2013, 07:03 PM
I'm in. I have quite a few pallets and a few ideas. :cool:

waveink
29th July 2013, 10:57 AM
I just found this thread! How did I miss a Pallet Challenge thread all this time?! As a veteran of the last challenge I would have loved to enter again ... hmmm only two weeks till the challenge is over ... hey Christos, is it too late to enter? I don't have a pallet or an idea, (or any notion of where I'm going to find the time in the next two weeks) but I can't let it go without a struggle.

pete

asheddie
29th July 2013, 11:08 AM
I've only just seen the competition too! If it's not too late "I'm in"
I have a pallet at home somewhere??? I'm working all week so no idea when I'll get a chance to get in the shed but I need some incentive to get in there any way.
Cheers, Ash.

Christos
30th July 2013, 04:10 PM
It is not too late to enter. The rules state the following

Start Date: 9th July 2013
Finish Date and Photo Submission: 6pm Saturday, 10th August 2013

As stated here I require members to state that they are in so that I can PM them the details of the email address to send their photos to.

How to Enter:
Entry is open to all Forumites. Please register by posting “I’m in” or similar within this thread.

Evanism
30th July 2013, 07:04 PM
Crates and recycled products reused in Canberra homes, businesses (http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/what-a-crate-idea-recycled-products-take-off-20130730-2qvyh.html)

asheddie
1st August 2013, 10:42 AM
I found a pallet...:U Wow they have some nails in them!

Christos
3rd August 2013, 08:26 PM
Just an update in here as well I have sent PM to the members that are taking part in the Pallet Challenge.

asheddie
4th August 2013, 07:04 PM
I had a full day planned in the shed to start working with the pallet but got a call to help search for a lost boy in the conservation park near my house. Didn't get home till 2:30 am. I've got work all week but will try to smash something out at night time. Its going to be a race against time for me!!! :doh:

coffenup
6th August 2013, 08:38 PM
I had a full day planned in the shed to start working with the pallet but got a call to help search for a lost boy in the conservation park near my house. Didn't get home till 2:30 am. I've got work all week but will try to smash something out at night time. Its going to be a race against time for me!!! :doh:
I hope you do well in the challenge
but great on you to help to search for that lost boy :2tsup::2tsup:
regards Michael

asheddie
7th August 2013, 04:20 PM
I hope you do well in the challenge
but great on you to help to search for that lost boy :2tsup::2tsup:
regards Michael

Thanks Michael,

The kid ended up being lost for 24 hours. A helicopter spotted him the following day.

I got a few hours in the shed last night :U wish I had a spare month...

Cheers, Ash.

Christos
9th August 2013, 09:24 AM
Just a reminder to those that entered the challenge to email your creations by Saturday 18:00.

Thank you

grantoboy
9th August 2013, 02:06 PM
Looks like I missed the boat on this one. Only found it today.

When will the next challenge be held?

Also will you be posting pictures of all of the entries?

Christos
9th August 2013, 05:27 PM
This challenge is not finished yet. You have a day to get a pallet, make something, take photos and send to an email address that I had created. :U

I will be posting the photos and the members will be voting on their favorite.

Keep an eye out.

Thank you

grantoboy
9th August 2013, 07:25 PM
Would love to try and meet the deadline, but I am away from home at the moment.

I have built stuff in the past 6 months from pallets but this sort of does not meet the rules.

I have a website up with some photos. You can check it out at www.upcycled.net.au

Grant

Christos
9th August 2013, 08:26 PM
No matter, you can at least be part of the voting members.

danny.s
9th August 2013, 11:05 PM
Subscribed. Looking forward to the results.

grantoboy
10th August 2013, 04:23 PM
No problems. I would be more than happy to help vote.

Christos
11th August 2013, 11:55 AM
I wish to thank the members that have been able to complete the challenge.

We offen find ourselves a little short on time when life gets in the way, but if it was not for life we would not be living.

asheddie
11th August 2013, 12:28 PM
Sorry if my email entry came through a thousand times. It kept bouncing back from my work computer then said it sent 157 emails???:o arrgghhh gota love computers sometimes!

Cheers,
Ash.

Christos
11th August 2013, 12:32 PM
I did get it, but not the 157 times as you just mention. I will keep an eye out for the 143 more mails that should be on their way. :U

tea lady
11th August 2013, 12:33 PM
:C Oops. To busy. Didn't even find a pallet. All the bast to everyone else. :U

asheddie
11th August 2013, 12:35 PM
HAHAHA well at least you got it, I was worried when it kept saying "email not sent, try again" Cheers, Ash.:U

I did get it, but not the 157 times as you just mention. I will keep an eye out for the 143 more mails that should be on their way. :U

Pirate323i
12th August 2013, 02:03 PM
:C
I have a pallet... I have a photo of said pallet...
I even got to pulling it apart and de-nailing it...
but that is as far as I got...
damn life...
on the plus side, we have been looking for a new house and obviously a shed is one of the critical criteria!
:U

corbs
13th August 2013, 07:25 AM
Poll is up... check out the entries and vote here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f254/pallet-challenge-2013-vote-your-favourite-174828/) :2tsup: