PDA

View Full Version : Wood Cancas Canoe Stripping

bpolvo
14th May 2005, 03:35 AM
I'm in the process of restoring a couple of Old Town canoes. Part of what needs to be done is stripping the old varnish off and in some cases what appears to be a stain . I was able to remove most of the varnish, using a product called ' Strypeze' but I'm left with a 'reddish' tone on the wood that at first I thought it might be the stripper but it looks like stain. Does anyone have a method to remove this stain in a timely fashion? I have tried using more stipper, scothbrite pads and a brass scrub brush all work but none of these are fast to use and are not easy to do. Maybe I need a different stripping solution or need different tools. I'm open to any solution. As you can see I'm also looking for speed.

Thanks, Bob

Daddles
14th May 2005, 10:38 AM
I've found that old varnish comes off really easily using a heat gun and scraper. If your reddish stain is just varnish you haven't got off, it might work on that. Like to share a photo or two so we can drool all over your project?

Cheers
Richard

Toymaker Len
16th May 2005, 06:48 PM
You might try an orbital sander starting at 60 grit to remove stain etc then working up to a fine finish. Try somewhere that doesn't show first of course.

bpolvo
16th May 2005, 10:40 PM
I have attempted to post a few pictures of the canoe. But the file size is too large. Te canoe is a 1961 OT Guide. I spent about 6 hrs. using the stripper and a cabinet scrapper yesterday. It seems to work pretty good but it takes a long time.