PDA

View Full Version : Most satisfying piece of equipment to use

nearnexus
3rd July 2013, 06:03 PM
Everyone one has so much stuff they can use in their sheds these days.

The range is endless.

Of all the gear I have, without a doubt the one item that always makes me feel good when ever I use it is my little Mitutoyo metric micrometer.

There's just something about using a really really well made, nice and silky smooth micrometer.

It's an absolute pleasure to use and read off of.

Had it for years.

Still looks as good as the day I bought it.

Rob

Auskart
3rd July 2013, 06:24 PM
Any tool that I don't have to put my glasses on to use.:~

Bryan
3rd July 2013, 06:47 PM
Credit card. :D

nearnexus
3rd July 2013, 06:49 PM
Credit card. :D

Sorry. That doesn't qualify.

No moving parts.

Rob

RayG
3rd July 2013, 07:06 PM
Too easy, for my money it's my 9" angle grinder... :)

No subtlety or precision, just fast and efficient.

Regards
Ray

nearnexus
3rd July 2013, 07:09 PM
Too easy, for my money it's my 9" angle grinder... :)

No subtlety or precision, just fast and efficient.

Regards
Ray

Ahhh yes, the widow maker.

I hadn't considered that.

Rob

BobL
3rd July 2013, 07:18 PM
. . . . ., nice and silky smooth micrometer.

In an almost opposite way the most satisfying piece of equipment I use is my bigger chainsaw mill.
It's dirty, heavy, loud and dusty, but surprisingly accurate given it's job description and modus operandi.
I also designed and made most of it myself, and it is one a few tools I have made that performs better than initial expectations.
http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachments/f132/127491d1264084843-another-milling-holiday-bobsnew-millingstyle.jpg

nearnexus
3rd July 2013, 07:31 PM
In an almost opposite way the most satisfying piece of equipment I use is my bigger chainsaw mill.
It's dirty, heavy, loud and dusty, but surprisingly accurate given it's job description and modus operandi.
I also designed and made most of it myself, and it is one a few tools I have made that performs better than initial expectations.

Now there's a picture of a man deep in thought.

What the hell am I going to do with all this wood ?

BobL
3rd July 2013, 07:47 PM
Now there's a picture of a man deep in thought.

What the hell am I going to do with all this wood ?

too right!

gallegos
3rd July 2013, 07:56 PM
The couch... It's helped me many times when I've hit a snag and need to work out a way to fix it.

DavidG
3rd July 2013, 08:04 PM
Whatever piece of gear I am currently using provided it is doing what it is supposed to do.

Gavin Newman
3rd July 2013, 08:09 PM
MIG and TIG welders - corrects over-zealous use of the 9" angle grinder.

Grahame Collins
3rd July 2013, 08:10 PM
For me,

My multitool linisher.

I do probably 10 jobs a week on average. Short duration work for only a minute or two
Easily the most versatile power tool in the shop.

Sharpens knives, chisels, screwdrivers, drills, dresses metal , the list goes on and on.

Grahame

nearnexus
3rd July 2013, 08:16 PM
For me,

My multitool linisher

Grahame

Ahhh yes, linishers. Probably the most underestimated machine by anyone who has never owned one.

Second on my list, and a worthy contender.

Rob

rodweb
3rd July 2013, 08:39 PM
Ahhh yes, linishers. Probably the most underestimated machine by anyone who has never owned one.

Second on my list, and a worthy contender.

Rob

Pretty much the top of mine now in amongst a DRO for my lathe. I find using my new 5 month old lathe (AL320G) the most satisfying, particularly when I am turning out parts in half the time i used to. The next tool would have to be my nutsert tool. It just simplifies so many mounting problems.

welder
3rd July 2013, 08:51 PM
Any tool in my workshop as I am grateful to have an equipt workshop at my age :U

steamjunkprops
3rd July 2013, 08:59 PM
Either the 100mm or 50mm wide multitool. A close runner up would be the coldsaw - accurate yet aggressive

Check me out:
www.facebook.com/steamjunkprops Or Steamjunkprops.deviantart.com

Ueee
3rd July 2013, 08:59 PM
Most of them.......
No, all of them:U

If i had to name one.....maybe my scraper. Only cause it can create the most accurate surfaces possible.

j.ashburn
3rd July 2013, 09:50 PM
Hi Gents,just about everything here are favorites 2 lifetimes accumulation of gear.Lots of machines here came from older tradesmen and most of them are no longer with us,My late old man had names for his gear and the name of former owner.So every day when I use some thing it gets referred to Reg Jack Wally etc.So carrying on the tradition I do the same.
Was told many years ago that sentiment costs,it does and have seen it so often where old men hang on too late to see that their gear goes to persons who will continue to be their custodians.So often we see relatives ignorantly dispose of items some time ruthlessly.we see auctions,Ebay where goods are listed but no one knows of how or what its true value is.Of course like all of us we like a bargain and we all at some time have obtained some item quite reasonably.
Sooner or later it comes our turn to down size and our favorites become some one else's.Whether this be kids family or relatives some will always be surplus.
I am faced with the same dilemna having no children or close relatives the slightest bit interested in what i do or own.This could lead to a separate thread to some thing like Members Disposal site or a group of like minded to ensure that these items are priced accordingly.How where when is another issue. Just throwing my hat in the ring to see if interest follows Cheers John.

Bryan
3rd July 2013, 10:30 PM
Most of my machines are clapped out or broken in some way. I like them all for different reasons, but each one is a Project that's being used in the meantime. But there is one machine that is not only in very good condition but is thoughtfully designed, well made, performs flawlessly at its intended purpose, and is a simple pleasure to use. It's my Tough pedestal drill.

tinkera
3rd July 2013, 10:47 PM
Without a doubt, the 50mm Multitool linisher. Dozens of times a week, from wearing away chunky steel to pencil sharpening.

nearnexus
3rd July 2013, 10:52 PM
Without a doubt, the 50mm Multitool linisher. Dozens of times a week, from wearing away chunky steel to pencil sharpening.

Can't imagine life without a linisher to break edges.

Rob

Dingo Dog
3rd July 2013, 11:16 PM
My motorcycle, its parked in the shed next to the lathe. I need to move it when I want to use the lathe or mill. Trouble is, I look at the bike and cant help to take it for a blat, then cuss for not doing the work on the lathe making that gizmo I been thinking about for a couple of weeks while at work.

DD

Master Splinter
3rd July 2013, 11:46 PM
The trash bin.

No other tool improves my output quite like it!

variant22
4th July 2013, 12:15 AM
I would have to say my Interapid DTI. I read lots about them before I purchased, but I had to see it myself. That DTI is rock soild. Rare (for me) to find a tool that repeats perfectly every time. The Swiss watch of Swiss DTI's?

Now I want a second one to just put on the shelf..

shedhappens
4th July 2013, 12:24 AM
I'm thinking that it depends on the time of the day, I think that in the morning it's the Fowler ware and in the arvo it's the Frigidaire :D

Ben Dono
4th July 2013, 06:50 AM
When I am using the right tool for the job! That tool becomes my favorite for just a moment!
Yesterday I was working on another shed which I am almost finished. I was thinking about how I would really miss the sound and feel of sharp chisels. I have two 50mm Stanley thru tang chisels and I always enjoy using them.

Ben Dono
4th July 2013, 07:16 AM
Hi Gents,just about everything here are favorites 2 lifetimes accumulation of gear.Lots of machines here came from older tradesmen and most of them are no longer with us,My late old man had names for his gear and the name of former owner.So every day when I use some thing it gets referred to Reg Jack Wally etc.So carrying on the tradition I do the same.
Was told many years ago that sentiment costs,it does and have seen it so often where old men hang on too late to see that their gear goes to persons who will continue to be their custodians.So often we see relatives ignorantly dispose of items some time ruthlessly.we see auctions,Ebay where goods are listed but no one knows of how or what its true value is.Of course like all of us we like a bargain and we all at some time have obtained some item quite reasonably.
Sooner or later it comes our turn to down size and our favorites become some one else's.Whether this be kids family or relatives some will always be surplus.
I am faced with the same dilemna having no children or close relatives the slightest bit interested in what i do or own.This could lead to a separate thread to some thing like Members Disposal site or a group of like minded to ensure that these items are priced accordingly.How where when is another issue. Just throwing my hat in the ring to see if interest follows Cheers John.

That's a tough one John. The chips fall where they fall sometimes. It's good your thinking about it now as it can be heartbreaking for the people left behind to try and sort it out.

Making a database with photos and replacement costs/ for sale costs and descriptions is a great tool for insurance as well as the family.

We all have scored a great deal on a tool from time to time. Most people appreciate and take care of them. If they are not used and taken care of, they rust and age and are useful to no one.
Sometimes the right person will be given a bargain and others will pay a fair price. At the end of the day, we want our tool to make it to someone who will appreciate them.

I still remember and think about all the old timers who helped me get started out when I was a kid. I was lucky they took the time.

I'm sorry your struggling with this one John. I think it's something we all think about. The local Men's shed is always a worthy fall back.

j.ashburn
4th July 2013, 09:25 AM
That's a tough one John. The chips fall where they fall sometimes. It's good your thinking about it now as it can be heartbreaking for the people left behind to try and sort it out.

Making a database with photos and replacement costs/ for sale costs and descriptions is a great tool for insurance as well as the family.

We all have scored a great deal on a tool from time to time. Most people appreciate and take care of them. If they are not used and taken care of, they rust and age and are useful to no one.
Sometimes the right person will be given a bargain and others will pay a fair price. At the end of the day, we want our tool to make it to someone who will appreciate them.

I still remember and think about all the old timers who helped me get started out when I was a kid. I was lucky they took the time.

I'm sorry your struggling with this one John. I think it's something we all think about. The local Men's shed is always a worthy fall back.
Thank you Ben for that sincere reply.As i see it re Mens in Sheds we are all men in a shed some where and this metal workers forum is just that a big virtual ''Mens in Sheds''.The pool of collective knowledge and resources here keep astounding me continually.John.

eskimo
4th July 2013, 10:40 AM
Sorry. That doesn't qualify.

No moving parts.

Rob
it makes the ATM work doesnt it Bryan

eskimo
4th July 2013, 11:05 AM
I'd have to say my 4inch SW Model 19........and or the SW 6" model 19 ........or maybe its the 9mm STI Targetmaster:?:?...i dunno

then comes the fly rod....(SWMBO cant understand why I own it as I never bring anything home)

But I am really enjoying using the recently acquired BM30 mill..it might just overtake to lot above

th62
4th July 2013, 12:16 PM
For me - anything I made myself – knurlers, ball turners, tool holders, etc. Many years ago I made a ride on mower from parts I scrounged at the tip: gearboxes, engine parts (B&S engines are remarkably resilient), wheels, etc. I used that ride on for over 10 years, without ever needing to repair it or replace a single part. Eventually we bought a house with lawns so small, the ride on was superfluous. I couldn't bear to part with it so kept it in the shed for about 5 years before eventually dismantling it and getting rid of it. Twelve months later we sold up and bought another house - guess what?

Chris Parks
4th July 2013, 09:08 PM
Sorry. That doesn't qualify.No moving parts.RobMy missus arms start flapping when I use mine so I reckon that counts.

toolman49
4th July 2013, 09:13 PM
High quality toilet paper

jatt
4th July 2013, 09:56 PM
Does this blue thing count?

Yep it fits in the shed!!!

Kraehe
5th July 2013, 03:48 PM

Same situation here - no kids (and now past the age to start a family), and no one who will value my treasures when I'm gone. Sad really.

K.

BobL
5th July 2013, 04:47 PM

Interesting subject. I don't know what is worse, having members of your own family mistreat tools you gave them or just selling them to the great unwashed for a pittance. I try to focus on my own experience of using my tools rather than their ownership which means when it's time well - it's just time and we'll move on. Easy to say but not so easy to do.

Michael G
5th July 2013, 06:37 PM
I have considered contacting a local Model Engineering club when I have to get rid of my machines - see if they either have someone who wants to buy a collection or even see if the club wants to buy them for a club workshop. (The price may be lower but at least you know that here are people there with an interest in machining).

Michael

nearnexus
5th July 2013, 06:41 PM
There's every chance they might go to a good home anyway.

Look at my old Schaublin - 90 years of neglect and abuse and now it's getting the kiss of life.

Plenty of interested people around.

And always will be.

Rob

TKO
5th July 2013, 10:07 PM
Any tool that makes the job I am trying to do easier,is my favorite tool at the time.

Eddie

Combustor
5th July 2013, 10:36 PM
Have an old Lincoln mains powered "Bullet" welder. It's served 50 years in an earthmoving workshop, and now it's in my "hobby" shop, still doing great service when needed. Not a piece of plastic, a digital readout or a solid state device on it, but it handles special rod types and heavy work without drama. Doesn't do it in silence though. Howls away happily when really earning its keep. Fans of GM 2 stroke diesels would love it.
Doesn't need power factor correction, nor create RF interference. Push the Start button and it welds!
Combustor.

Nanigai
5th July 2013, 11:44 PM
Without doubt anything that delivers a smooth finish and gives me a buzz while using it....at the moment it's my Veritas spoke shaves on the chair legs I am currently making:D
Love the peace and quiet from the power tools for a change as well:U
Cheers, Ian

beefy
6th July 2013, 08:43 AM
That's a difficult one for me. I've got a cnc plasma cutter, 3D cad software (cad is a tool), big lathe and milling machine, horizontal bandsaw, welders, press, etc but I think the tool I get the most satisfaction out of is my floor standing pedestal drill. In the early days when all I had was a few hand tools, I did a lot of drilling good size holes in thick steel with a hand drill. Dangerous, physically exerting, time consuming, and just about breaks your wrist. Now I still feel a great sense of satisfaction drilling a 30mm hole easilly and safely or using a large holesaw to get through thick steel too. Also having a coolant flow helps the drill to cut.

I would say the combo of 3D cad and my cnc plasma is next. Again it's the memories of the frustration of the tedious process of marking the cut line for the handheld oxy acetylen torch. Then trying to maintain that perfect cut speed, cut height then the hoses drag or catch and stuff the cut up. I'm impressed by guys that do a good job by hand.

Ben Dono
6th July 2013, 09:34 AM
Hmmmm...... I can't say I'm really in love with my drill press... I think I might relocate it in my workshop to a more useful spot. It might get used a bit more...
Actually, I dislike it a little less now. I bought it as a floor model and it was assembled poorly. The safety clutch would squeal like a banchee when drilling anything above 12mm. I stripped everything off it, cleaned it up and now it's a lot better. I need to machine something on it as it does not drill plumb. It needs a nodding adjustment of some kind.

Steamwhisperer
6th July 2013, 09:37 AM
This ones a 'no brainer' for me.
It's gotta be my little Douglas shaper
It's even satisfying just walking past it.

Phil

Abratool
6th July 2013, 04:38 PM
This ones a 'no brainer' for me.
It's gotta be my little Douglas shaper
It's even satisfying just walking past it.

Phil
I wish you would stop tempting me Phil.
Ive convinced myself I do not need one, no I do not need a shaper, but then again it would be nice to walk past, stop & stare, & watch the reciprocating ram in motion.
regards
Bruce
And Shapers are great for removing metal quickly with low price tools, yep, I know.

tinkera
6th July 2013, 06:08 PM
While we are talking about shapers, I was driving to Bendigo last Thursday & a car & trailer past me going the other way, being nosey I looked in the mirrors & blow me down if it wasn't a shaper on board. Must be real common in this part of the world.
tinkera.

th62
6th July 2013, 07:30 PM
Of all the tools I would like, a small shaper rests right on top of the list; Unfortunately they're as rare as rocking horse doo doo. Prices seem to be rising out of all proportion for their age and what they are. I just couldn't justify it. But you never know, one day I just might trip over one where the owner thinks it's just scrap and of no use now we have mills.

Steamwhisperer
6th July 2013, 08:57 PM
I wish you would stop tempting me Phil.
Ive convinced myself I do not need one, no I do not need a shaper, but then again it would be nice to walk past, stop & stare, & watch the reciprocating ram in motion.
regards
Bruce
And Shapers are great for removing metal quickly with low price tools, yep, I know.

Apologies Bruce, I can't help myself.
Plus it cuts gears better than a..... :D

Phil

j.ashburn
6th July 2013, 09:10 PM
[QUOTE=th62;1669961]Of all the tools I would like, a small shaper rests right on top of the list; Unfortunately they're as rare as rocking horse doo doo. Prices seem to be rising out of all proportion for their age and what they are. I just couldn't justify it. But you never know, one day I just might trip over one where the owner thinks it's just scrap and of no use now we have mills.[/QUO

The shaper is very under estimated in its performance.Working right set right they are a treat.I get lots of lookers at the baby ones and always have a small job in progress set up.Just made a chuck tool out of 2 hex bms,4''long and a square on 1 end machined on the shaper for undoing 3 and 4 jaw screwed chucks.a hole in the middle for a tommy bar.When I crank up the 1/4 inch hot circlip maker with its un selective landing spots that's another story.Tooling is cheap long lasting a lick with a slip stone by hand some times[tool stopped].It is a 24 inch cut.Other feature is you can set a cut going and do some thing else. A mill never.too expensive to bust a cutter if you are poor.Mill tooling costs. A shaper, vice and some tee bolts a chunk of hss and away you go.
So with that it is true so many were scrapped were sneered at and beneath most machinists to use 1 when there was a shiny new mill there to use.It never ceases to amaze me that home machinists haven't bothered till of recent times to take up the advantage of these great machines.Was told to me by an old old crusty crafty old school engineer that the motion was replicated of a man with a file at a vice.He also taught me how to use 1 too.He used to call files ''a ,,,,,,,? poor man's milling machine.Posted for your enjoyment.John.

Oldneweng
6th July 2013, 09:29 PM
I have had a 0-1" Mity mic for about 32 years. At the time I used it hundreds of times a day at work measuring a constant stream of centerless ground parts as they came out. I would have to say I have worked out how to use it. It also is a nice tool to use.

The one thing that annoys me is that when the Govt cut import duties back then the company had a clearing sale on a weekend and someone went around and pinched the cases out from under all the mics in the factory to include with mics in the sale!!

Dean

Old Hutcho
6th July 2013, 09:48 PM
I'll second the one about the little Tough brand pedestal drill. I bought one almost by accident and its a bloody sweet little thing to use. Its still deadly accurate (I think its about 1950's vintage) and its just one of those old silent running smooth unguarded, non OHand S compliant machines. I missed out on a Waldown a couple of weeks before I got this one and I am not sorry I picked this one up. I am having a look at another one tomorrow. Geeez the wife says, how many of those things do you need? I tell her its not for me, I will get it shiny and new again and pass it on to someone I know appreciates it. (Whoever that may be)

regards

Old Hutcho

Optimark
7th July 2013, 12:50 PM
Having dodgy wrists and hands, I was transformed when I first tried out a 12V battery operated drill for screwing, it was an epiphany.

These days I now run an 18V unit and with it's combination of silky smooth power and ergonomic shape, combined with the little LED light pointed at the item being screwed or drilled, it's pure bliss to use.

Mick.

Oldneweng
7th July 2013, 03:14 PM
Having dodgy wrists and hands, I was transformed when I first tried out a 12V battery operated drill for screwing, it was an epiphany.

These days I now run an 18V unit and with it's combination of silky smooth power and ergonomic shape, combined with the little LED light pointed at the item being screwed or drilled, it's pure bliss to use.

Mick.

I will second that. My cordless drill is an 18volt GMC. I have 2 the same now with a total of 4 batteries. I have repacked the original 2 batteries with metal hydrides. The first drill has done a huge amount of work over many years from stainless screws into a caravan being resealed to tek screws in the house roof to replace the nails. I have used it for hours on one battery for this purpose. I did the same on a previous large house with my big corded drill and the difference is fantastic. No cord to drag and much lighter to carry. I paid $70 for the first one but the replacement batteries cost 3 times that. I wish I had tried EvilBay then:D. These batteries are far better tho.

Dean

Abratool
7th July 2013, 05:26 PM
A couple of months ago I purchased another chain saw, on a friends advice.
Its a small top handle Shindawa 269TS, used it a number of times & again today.
Its a little winner & a pleasure to use. Its got a 10" chain bar with a fine pitch chain, so it does not tend to "grab" like my bigger saw.
Can be used one hand, & great for cutting up small firewood.
But then again I like all chainsaws !
regards
Bruce

nearnexus
7th July 2013, 05:44 PM
A couple of months ago I purchased another chain saw, on a friends advice.
Its a small top handle Shindawa 269TS, used it a number of times & again today.
Its a little winner & a pleasure to use.
Bruce

Mmmm, nice.

In addition to a big mutha, I've got a Stihl 009L with 14" bar and that's a little honey as well.

That Shindawa stuff is rated pretty highly by all accounts. Most of the time the smaller chainsaws do just fine around the house.

Rob

Oldneweng
7th July 2013, 07:55 PM
Mmmm, nice.

In addition to a big mutha, I've got a Stihl 009L with 14" bar and that's a little honey as well.

That Shindawa stuff is rated pretty highly by all accounts. Most of the time the smaller chainsaws do just fine around the house.

Rob

I have a 100cc Husky with a 28inch bar and the smallest Stihl available. Guess which one I prefer to use.

Dean

bwal74
14th July 2013, 07:56 PM
Hi,

I had some garage time this weekend (I must of been good to the missus), used my lathe, drill press, hand tools (files) and shaper.

Using the shaper again was great, definitely my favourite tool to use. Saved me about 2 to 3 hours of filing and it and the finished product was straight as well.

Ben.

Briangoldcoast
14th July 2013, 09:15 PM
OF course I love being able to have the right tool on hand to select, when a job appears, but I have to say that the most satisfying item to grace my bench recently is a $4 steel saucer with a powerful magnet in the base. Not only does it stay in place but every nut or screw or bolt I put aside while the job is being done never goes missing or gets swept off the bench accidently. Of course I've always had a little tin to put fasteners in while disassembling a project, but now there's no way I loose anything. I can't believe something so simple and 'obvious' hasn't appeared on the market before now.
Brian

BobL
14th July 2013, 10:36 PM
OF course I love being able to have the right tool on hand to select, when a job appears, but I have to say that the most satisfying item to grace my bench recently is a $4 steel saucer with a powerful magnet in the base. Not only does it stay in place but every nut or screw or bolt I put aside while the job is being done never goes missing or gets swept off the bench accidently. Of course I've always had a little tin to put fasteners in while disassembling a project, but now there's no way I loose anything. I can't believe something so simple and 'obvious' hasn't appeared on the market before now.
Brian

I used a DIY version of one of those at work in the 1970s, it was just a magnetic stainless plate with a magnet in the middle and it was very useful to store lots of small fixings and steel parts in. I bought one a few years ago to use at home but I have now relegated to the back of a cupboard because I don't like the way it magnetises everything that came into contact with it because the parts then attract metal filings and swarf that abounds in my shed. These days I just use a plastic box with adjustable size sections that I stash stuff into while a project is underway.

j.ashburn
14th July 2013, 11:20 PM
Brian
Hi they been around for over 20yrs now those dishes think i bought the originals still got a dozen or more of them different sizes.Great for working under bonnets on cars put it on the job close by and even dropping the fastners they never miss.Only trouble these days on modern cars is to find real metal [Fe] amongst the crappy and sharp plastic with surgical steel ability to slice to the bone,[the flash from the die moulds].Alas cars are now in the white goods category and are part of our consumer driven and toss it society.

franco
15th July 2013, 01:12 PM
Probably the Blanchard type spoke lathe for shaping wooden spokes for old car wheels. It's a noisy, messy beast, but, like a shaper or a planer, everything happens very slowly and deliberately, and is mesmerising to watch. The two headstock spindles turn at 17 RPM, and the follower wheel for the template moves the cutter head in and out at a leisurely 34 cycles per minute to form the oval section of the spoke shank while crawling along the spoke blank at 40 mm/min as the spoke profile slowly appears on the workpiece.

I'd love to find a small shaper to enjoy the same experience cutting metal, but, alas, they are rarer than hens' teeth around here, and I don't want to buy one sight unseen - hopefully one day something might turn up locally.

Frank.

j.ashburn
15th July 2013, 09:50 PM
Probably the Blanchard type spoke lathe for shaping wooden spokes for old car wheels. It's a noisy, messy beast, but, like a shaper or a planer, everything happens very slowly and deliberately, and is mesmerising to watch. The two headstock spindles turn at 17 RPM, and the follower wheel for the template moves the cutter head in and out at a leisurely 34 cycles per minute to form the oval section of the spoke shank while crawling along the spoke blank at 40 mm/min as the spoke profile slowly appears on the workpiece.

I'd love to find a small shaper to enjoy the same experience cutting metal, but, alas, they are rarer than hens' teeth around here, and I don't want to buy one sight unseen - hopefully one day something might turn up locally.

Frank.
I would love dearly to see that machine working Do you have any footage of it in operation? Hickory these days be a rare commodity.Cheers John.

franco
16th July 2013, 03:15 AM
I would love dearly to see that machine working Do you have any footage of it in operation? Hickory these days be a rare commodity.Cheers John.

John,

Sorry, no action shots, but there are a few static photos in posts 29 and 33 of this thread:

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f65/what-have-you-invented-133650/

At the moment I have (temporarily?) given up using it after getting a reaction to the very fine dust produced, even though I always used a pressurised, filtered helmet air supply, and small dust extractor unit while machining spokes. The last big batch batch of about seventy spokes produced a lot of very fine dust, which accumulated in the C purlins in the roof and blew down for weeks in every gust of wind after the batch was finished - it also liberally coated all uncovered exposed horizontal surfaces in the shed.

I use mainly Tallow Wood and Queensland Hickory for spokes, since these are readily available locally. Both these, and several other native timbers, e.g. spotted gum, are quite suitable, and the traditional American hickory and English Oak are scarce and expensive. I suspect the Tallow Wood dust caused the cough I had for several weeks after finishing the last batch. It also bleached my blue work shirts around the shoulders where it landed - powerful stuff!

Regards,

Frank.