PDA

View Full Version : Veritas Honeing Jig/Sharpening

Strungout
14th May 2005, 07:12 AM
Sorry if these questions are kind of over the top!

I am considering buying a Veritas honeing guide set.

Am I wasting my money (about $100.00) .

I have been using wet and dry on a glass sheet to sharpen chisels etc,but I can never get it right.

I had some tools sharpened at a shop and I couldn't believe how sharp they were when I got them back! Does that make a difference to the job!

Should I consider buying a good quality stone and if so what kind?

When a chisel just starts to lose its edge,what do I do to get it back.

I have a leather strop and honeing compound.Is this the way to bring up the edge?

Is it worth getting a felt strop wheel that fits on a grinder?.

Thanks

Greg

steve54123alt
14th May 2005, 08:36 AM
No i don't feel that you are wasting you mohoney. I love mine. it's so easy to set up and few to-and-fro's and your done. With practice, and others will tell you, you can get that shop sharpened finish easily.

outback
14th May 2005, 01:59 PM
from the way you ask your questions I would suggest that the kit would be a very wise investment.

Be careful, I have been told that if you aren't careful you might spend more time sharpening than bluntening in search of the perect edge. :D

markharrison
14th May 2005, 10:27 PM
I have the current Veritas jig but if I were buying one now I would hang out for the new model which is coming very soon. Though that might mean you will need to purchase directly from Lee Valley to get it as there will always be a time lag for local retailers to stock new models of anything.

johnc
14th May 2005, 10:47 PM
Like the other I would recommend the honing jig. My sharpening efforts where always a bit hap hazard on the angle and as a result the edge. The honing guide was worth every penny, with neater, sharper, and more accurate bevels, but it becomes addictive and what is worse if your equally average sharpening mates find you are doing a better job you may find a few extra blades and chisels ariving on the door step for a quick sharpen.

JohnC

Groggy
14th May 2005, 11:06 PM
I have the current Veritas jig but if I were buying one now I would hang out for the new model which is coming very soon. Though that might mean you will need to purchase directly from Lee Valley to get it as there will always be a time lag for local retailers to stock new models of anything.Here's some idea of what the new jig looks like:

http://www.leevalley.com/home/temprl/hg1.jpg
http://www.leevalley.com/home/temprl/hg2.jpg
http://www.leevalley.com/home/temprl/hg3.jpg

Rumour has it that Rob Lee's Skunkworks is up to something with block planes too.

DanP
14th May 2005, 11:25 PM
Groggy,

It might just be me but none of your links seem to work.

Dan

Wood Borer
14th May 2005, 11:58 PM
Strungout,

I have a Veritas honing guide and it works a treat. The wide roller is great because it lessens the tendancy to rock from side to side. Cheaper guides have a narrow roller which can make a curved edge on your chisel or plane blade if you are not careful.

These days I mainly sharpen without a jig but from time to time I correct the edge using the Veritas guide. I wouldn't be without it.

I use mine with waterstones and I am fairly happy with the edges I get.

Take note of Johnc's comment about your mates getting you to do their sharpening - it's true. :D

Go for it.

Groggy
15th May 2005, 12:01 AM
Groggy,

It might just be me but none of your links seem to work.

Dan
Fixed, thanks.

routermaniac
15th May 2005, 12:50 AM
I wouldnt wait for the new one, buy the current one from carbatec brisbane now. They are for $46 on sale, about half the price they are normally worth. Amazing value, too bad i bought one 3 weeks ago :-).

Woodlice
15th May 2005, 04:09 AM
How the bloody hell does that thing work? Looks interesting, but the least they could have done was put a chisel onto it...

Does Carbatec Brisbane have a website?

derekcohen
15th May 2005, 05:29 AM
Personally, from what I know about the new Veritas honing guide (I've had pics of it for 6 months plus a bit of correspondence with Rob Lee), I'd wait for it. About a month, I suspect. It will do much more than the old one (such as a wider range of angles plus the ability to do back bevels), which is still a good guide. I hope to get my hands on one quite soon and will publish a review of it here.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Rob Lee
15th May 2005, 02:17 PM
Personally, from what I know about the new Veritas honing guide (I've had pics of it for 6 months plus a bit of correspondence with Rob Lee), I'd wait for it. About a month, I suspect. It will do much more than the old one (such as a wider range of angles plus the ability to do back bevels), which is still a good guide. I hope to get my hands on one quite soon and will publish a review of it here.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Hi -

The new guide comes out May 23rd - (Derek - one is one it's way to you Monday!)... just started full production this week...!

Cheers -

Rob

Groggy
15th May 2005, 02:57 PM
Hi -

The new guide comes out May 23rd - (Derek - one is one it's way to you Monday!)... just started full production this week...!

Cheers -

Rob
Hey Rob, what if we were to put in a bulk order...:D

spbookie
15th May 2005, 03:02 PM
Groggy, why is Darryl running away and screaming?

Charles

Groggy
15th May 2005, 03:05 PM
Groggy, why is Darryl running away and screaming?

CharlesSo that's what the racket was! Can't imagine why...

Woodlice
16th May 2005, 02:09 AM
Hey thats not so bad an idea... :D :D

Strungout
16th May 2005, 04:30 PM
Thanks for your replies.

What do you recomend for a stone?

Wood Borer
16th May 2005, 04:46 PM
What do you recomend for a stone?

Hey Man :cool: ,
be careful, cops monitor this BB for information about terrorists and drugs so I doubt if anyone will reply to your question :eek:

If on the other hand your weren't talking about illegal stuff but sharpening stones then you have opened a can of worms.

I use water stones and I am very happy with the results. Others use oil stones, diamond stones, ceramic stones, natural stones .....

I think in the past we have all agreed to disagree. I think all stones work well but we have our own personal preferences which we justify by trying to convince others. :D