PDA

View Full Version : Colouring glue

corbs
4th July 2013, 10:54 PM
Evening all, I'm thinking of doing up a laminated blank but would like to use the glue lines as contrasts for the woods used. I think the woods will end up being quite pale so I'm thinking of colouring the glue black.

I'm interested in any suggestions on what glue(s) to use and how to colour it. Any suggestions or advice will be greatly appreciated :2tsup:

Corbs

dai sensei
4th July 2013, 10:58 PM
Epoxy can be tinted with resin tints, even oil based paint tint

steamjunkprops
4th July 2013, 11:00 PM
Epoxy can also be tinted with food coloring :)

Check me out:
www.facebook.com/steamjunkprops Or Steamjunkprops.deviantart.com

ubeaut
4th July 2013, 11:04 PM
Hide glue, pva and most water based glues can be coloured with our Non Toxic Water Dyes.

Beware using cedar dye with hide glue as it looks identical to cedar when applied but turns bright lime green when it dries, chemical reaction with the glue takes out all of the red colour.

Used to mix talc, hide glue and water dye to make a gap filling glue which worked extremely well. Same thing works brilliantly with PVA.

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers - Neil :U

corbs
4th July 2013, 11:04 PM
Epoxy can be tinted with resin tints, even oil based paint tint

Good to know thanks Neil, I was worried about what ever I used to colour the glue would affect the chemical properties of the glue. Something I'd like to avoid if I'm going to spin this thing around and stand near it :rolleyes:

corbs
4th July 2013, 11:09 PM
Hide glue, pva and most water based glues can be coloured with our Non Toxic Water Dyes.

Beware using cedar dye with hide glue as it looks identical to cedar when applied but turns bright lime green when it dries, chemical reaction with the glue takes out all of the red colour.

Used to mix talc, hide glue and water dye to make a gap filling glue which worked extremely well. Same thing works brilliantly with PVA.

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers - Neil :U

I was originally leaning towards either epoxy or polyurethane for strength and gap filling. I actually like the idea of bright lime green when dried as well. I'd be happy with anything that will provide a strong contrast to the main body wood(s).

Looks like I might be up for a few experiments, food colouring dyes also give me a number of ideas as well but I also need to be careful about the colour leaching into the surrounding wood.

dai sensei
4th July 2013, 11:11 PM
Good to know thanks Neil, I was worried about what ever I used to colour the glue would affect the chemical properties of the glue. Something I'd like to avoid if I'm going to spin this thing around and stand near it :rolleyes:

Just remember add very small amounts of tint at a time. Too much can effect properties, it is just like watering it down

Willy Nelson
5th July 2013, 01:05 AM
Corbs
Try diggers oxide. All I use for plasti bond, araldite or embedding resin

Willy

Paul39
5th July 2013, 04:34 AM
An almost empty cartridge from a copy machine or laser printer will give you black pigment. Also free.

corbs
5th July 2013, 07:27 AM
Thanks for the feedback and suggestions team. As I said, I just didn't want to affect the chemical properties of the glue but it looks like I will be fairly safe on that front if I'm careful.

Corbs

NeilS
5th July 2013, 10:01 PM
Try diggers oxide.

I find a little bit goes a long way. Black Oxide in epoxy will polish up to give a rich glossy finish.

Haven't noticed any strength issues, but it would be easy enough to do a test; one test joint with and one without.

corbs
5th July 2013, 10:13 PM
I find a little bit goes a long way. Black Oxide in epoxy will polish up to give a rich glossy finish.

Haven't noticed any strength issues, but it would be easy enough to do a test; one test joint with and one without.

I got some black oxide this morning so will do some experiments on the weekend and see how it all comes up. Thanks for all your help team.

Corbs

corbs
6th July 2013, 09:33 PM
The experiment is happening. Techniglue with the right hand side joint natural, left hand side coloured with less than a tea spoon of black oxide powder. Will sand back to see how the contrast line looks and then test the joint strength. If both come up ok then I think we have a winner :2tsup:

Willy Nelson
7th July 2013, 12:17 AM
less than a teaspoon is tons. Matchstick head or ear bud is ample for a 1/2 cup of plastibond for me

Willy

dai sensei
7th July 2013, 10:09 AM
Agree with Willy. When adding pigments you add the smallest amount possible, then if colour is not enough, add a little bit more, slowly slowly does it.

corbs
7th July 2013, 10:41 AM
Agree with Willy. When adding pigments you add the smallest amount possible, then if colour is not enough, add a little bit more, slowly slowly does it.

It was a good experiment to make, looks like my techniglue is past its expiry date and hasn't set overnight so will have to get more to complete the project. Much better to find out now rather than when I start the project.

NeilS
7th July 2013, 06:24 PM
I find a little bit goes a long way.

....:)

corbs
7th July 2013, 07:51 PM
I thought half a tea spoon was a little bit :rolleyes:... I now realise you meant a little bit :B