PDA

View Full Version : New purchase

nearnexus
5th July 2013, 06:54 PM
I usually wear riggers gloves when I'm doing hot, sharp, abrasive, tractor, nasty work.

Saw these in GasWeld and thought I'd give them a try.

Rob

Oldneweng
6th July 2013, 10:27 PM
I usually wear riggers gloves when I'm doing hot, sharp, abrasive, tractor, nasty work.

Saw these in GasWeld and thought I'd give them a try.

Rob

Have used these quite a lot. They are pretty good gloves but do not last very long. They also go sticky after a while. They definitely
have their uses tho.

Dean

nearnexus
6th July 2013, 11:51 PM
Have used these quite a lot. They are pretty good gloves but do not last very long.
Dean

I haven't used the silver ones yet. I got some of the cheaper black ones (same brand) as well and they've been great in this cold weather.

My hands were like ice until I put them on. They seem OK for lathe work as well and certainly keep your pinkies warm.

So far so good.

Rob

Oldneweng
6th July 2013, 11:56 PM
I haven't used the silver ones yet. I got some of the cheaper black ones (same brand) as well and they've been great in this cold weather.

My hands were like ice until I put them on. They seem OK for lathe work as well and certainly keep your pinkies warm.

So far so good.

Rob

I have used black and grey ones although I don't know what the diff is. Be careful about saying you are going to use them for lathe work or similar. A previous thread on this subject created some animated discussion lol.

Dean

nearnexus
7th July 2013, 12:13 AM
I have used black and grey ones although I don't know what the diff is. Be careful about saying you are going to use them for lathe work or similar. A previous thread on this subject created some animated discussion lol.

Dean

I can imagine it did.

I don't normally wear gloves for lathe work, except when changing chucks, but in this cold weather my hands are so damn cold I need something to warm em up.

These are really good and way better, more tactile than riggers gloves.

Rob

matthew_g
7th July 2013, 02:05 AM
What you guy's with cold pinkys need to do is a utube serch on a rocket heater,,,, As long as you have a grinder and a welder you can build one..
Best thing about em is you can heat your shed up fast and cheap.
I'm in a 40' x 25' steel shed, I tried everything from gas cannon heaters to pot bellies, They barely took the chill off. And my god did they go through some wood...

With my rocket heater I can have the shed at 31*c in an hour, then slow the burn down and hold it between 21*c and 27*c all day long on 4 bits of wood... YES I DID SAY 4.!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very very economical wood burner.....

Matt

nearnexus
7th July 2013, 10:11 AM
Being a YouTuber I have seen a few videos on the rocket heaters and design experimentation with them.

Good idea Matt.

The cold weather actually does bring out one good thing about lathe lighting though - my halogen worklight does give of a bit of warmth near the workpiece and makes a good hand warmer :)

Cheers

Rob

Oldneweng
7th July 2013, 10:26 AM
What you guy's with cold pinkys need to do is a utube serch on a rocket heater,,,, As long as you have a grinder and a welder you can build one..
Best thing about em is you can heat your shed up fast and cheap.
I'm in a 40' x 25' steel shed, I tried everything from gas cannon heaters to pot bellies, They barely took the chill off. And my god did they go through some wood...

With my rocket heater I can have the shed at 31*c in an hour, then slow the burn down and hold it between 21*c and 27*c all day long on 4 bits of wood... YES I DID SAY 4.!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very very economical wood burner.....

Matt

We have some of those bits of wood around here too! They are called Redgums! LOL.

Dean

PS. I am looking into these stoves.

nearnexus
9th July 2013, 06:21 PM
Had to go out to Paramount Browns today - my 30+ year old (ex Futura Industry) bench grinder finally decided to call it quits.

I can remember paying $60 for it way back then.

Must be having a run of outs on equipment, Makita chuck first and now 8" bench grinder, what's next ?

Anyway, while out there I see they have the plain black Ninja gloves on special at $2.50 a pair. So I bought four more pairs.

Also bought a grinder :D

Rob

CGroves
17th July 2013, 06:55 PM
At the manufacturing week expo they were giving out samples of black lightning nitrile gloves.
Disposable Gloves - Black Lightning KBS Workgear Gloves - Nitrile Disposable Gloves (http://www.kbsworkgear.com/disposable_gloves_blacklightning.html)

I've tried them out and I ended up buying two boxes of them. I reckon they're great. They don't rip and fall apart like other latex/rubber gloves that I've used and whilst the hands do sweat in them its much less than the others. Turps, etc doesn't eat them either. I also find you can re-use them several times.

Perfect for people with girlie man hands (like me :-) )

Christian

nearnexus
17th July 2013, 07:47 PM
Did you buy the gloves on line?

How much $$s are they a pair ?

Do any state agents have them?

I use disposables for some jobs, but they are no good for anything petroleum related - disintegrate.

These sound good.

If reasonable price I might get a box myself.

Rob

CGroves
17th July 2013, 08:29 PM
I bought them from Blackwoods they were a few dollars cheaper than I could get them on line. They were around $32 for 100. More expensive than the normal ones but they last longer and are reusable.

Christian

nearnexus
17th July 2013, 08:44 PM
I bought them from Blackwoods they were a few dollars cheaper than I could get them on line. They were around $32 for 100. More expensive than the normal ones but they last longer and are reusable.

Christian

That sounds pretty good.

I will get a box to try.

Rob

nearnexus
18th July 2013, 01:49 PM
Went to Blackwoods at Regency Park and got two boxes of the nitrile gloves this morning.

They seem pretty comfy and not very sweaty. I like the fact they are diesel and petrol resistant.

They had them on the shelf at $31 a box, and the guy (Steve) did it for me at $25 (incl GST) a box as a promotional sale.

So I was pretty happy with that.

See how they go.

Rob

robbo37
18th July 2013, 04:56 PM
I bought a box from Repco's ($32 I think) Mainly to please the family
although at 76 years the damage would have been done long ago.:U
They seem to work OK.

nearnexus
18th July 2013, 05:03 PM
I bought a box from Repco's ($32 I think) Mainly to please the family
although at 76 years the damage would have been done long ago.:U
They seem to work OK.

I like disposables mainly for working with expoxy, glues and diesel servicing.

Not worried so much about the nasties, but more to save all the hassles of cleaning the stuff off your hands, which also means more nasties (solvents) again.

These are certainly a LOT more durable than the regular Ansell rubber jobs I've used for years. The rubber ones were OK for engine oil but fell to bits with petrol and kero/turps.

So these new ones should be the go for cleaning engine parts - impervious to petrochemicals.

Found this link which shows how resistant they are: Chemical Resistance Chart for Nitrile Gloves (http://www.bio-flex.com/chemical-resistance-chart-for-nitrile-gloves/)

Rob

Ueee
19th July 2013, 12:26 AM
Hi Guys,
Do they come in different sizes, or are they "one size fits all", which with my big hands really means, "these won't fit you".
I break 1 in 3 latex gloves just trying to get them on......

Cheers,
Ew

Stustoys
19th July 2013, 12:30 AM
Available in Small, Medium, Large, X-Large
Medium: women and small men's size
Large: regular men's
XLarge: large men's

Small: suit small women

nearnexus
19th July 2013, 11:28 AM
They stretch quite a bit, but you don't want any gloves too tight.

I wear large size for riggers and Ninja gloves, but tried the XL in these as well - they were too large for me.

So I got large size in these as well.

Seem OK.

I doubt these wil tear like the rubber Ansell type jobs do when putting them on. Way tougher.

I also got the non powdered/dusted ones. They seem to be the most popular.

Rob

PDW
19th July 2013, 11:39 PM
I like disposables mainly for working with expoxy, glues and diesel servicing.

I found the blue nitrile ones don't last all that long with Jotun 605 marine epoxy paint. I usually wear 2 pairs to try keeping the crap off of my skin. Probably not the worst epoxy about - it hasn't killed me yet - but I hate all epoxies on general principle. They work well for their design tasks though.

PDW

nearnexus
29th July 2013, 05:06 PM
I tried the nitriles today on two jobs, painting enamel and cleaning up metal parts with petrol.

They handle petrochemical well without disintegrating and I'm pleased with them.

Certainly keep your hands clean and can be reused a few times going on todays performance.

Need to let them dry out though - still get sweaty.

Rob