PDA

View Full Version : This is the ROuter Table I wanT

NewLou
14th May 2005, 03:01 PM
Gidday :)

After a lot of looking around and research I've decided not to make but buy My First Router Table and this is the one I want!!!!

http://www.jessem.com/main_page.htm

Does anyone know if there is an Australian supplier of the Jessem ROuter Table and accessory Range????

Dean Please Please Any Chance of a REview?????

REgards NewLou :)

Iain
14th May 2005, 03:27 PM
The Rout 'R' Lift is available from Gregory Machinery so I imagine that they would have access to the rest of the range.

NewLou
14th May 2005, 04:02 PM
I can't find it there Iain you got a link?

REgards Lou

Iain
14th May 2005, 07:34 PM
I went to their site and couldn't find it but Carbatec have the rout r lift, I'm sure I've seen one at Woodworking warehouse in Melb (who are part of the woodman group which has an affiliation with gregory machinry)
http://svc010.bne011i.server-web.com/catalogue/carbatec2/public/home.ehtml
Gregory Machinery
http://www.gregmach.com/

DanP
14th May 2005, 08:18 PM
Saw one of them in C-tec in Richmond, it looked to be fantastic. The bloke in the store, however said that it would not take Aus routers, something to do with the shape.

Dan

johnc
14th May 2005, 10:40 PM
I think that like Woodpeckers precision lift they are not designed for plunge routers and take Porter Cable 7518 (? I think), Makita 1101 (? also) with the base plates removed and just the motor and collet mounted in its place. Woodpeckers make a unilift and plungelift to take a plunge router which is over $500 here and around $280 in the US for the dearer of the two and about half that for the cheaper. I don't think that type of router sells here, unless Porter Cable are importing a few along with nail guns and biscuit joiners.

JohnC

NewLou
15th May 2005, 12:12 AM
I've sent a few e-mails trying to track down a supplier.......I'll keep you all posted

Regards Lou

NewLou
17th May 2005, 09:00 AM
Gidday:)

For those interested got an E-Mail this morning directly from Jessem:

Dear Luke:

Unfortunately, nobody in Australia. You could check www.rockler.com (http://www.rockler.com/) and
www.woodcraft.com (http://www.woodcraft.com/) both sell worldwide.

If you need anything else, let me know.

Thanks and Best Regards,
Laura
JessEm Tool Company

DAM IT!!!.............This means a Buttshot fulla freight and I'll pay a premium!!! If any of the boys from Carb-a-tec or Timbercon are watching how bout taking the Jessem Router Table and accessories on Boys!!!!!!..................Here's Hopin!!!

REgards Lou
</pre>

NewLou
17th May 2005, 09:47 AM
Gidday Everyone:)

Heres a great How to Link I came across on my travels around the Net:

http://www.woodshopdemos.com/men-jess.htm

How much easier can I make it for Aussie Suppliers to take this product on!!!!

REgards Lou

meerkat
25th May 2005, 05:11 PM
WOW that router table did things for me :o I never thought they could.

As a newbie I have found good router tables hard to find.

Andrew

dai sensei
26th May 2005, 11:45 PM
Link I came across on my travels around the Net:

http://www.woodshopdemos.com/men-jess.htm

Ahhh, the wonderful Beth. I wish I could find a woman that understands woodworking and appreciates a good workshop like Beth, not mention being easy on the eyes.http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon7.gif

Gwhat
22nd July 2005, 02:13 PM
The Jessim router table looks great, but it requires a Fixed Base Router ala, the US style, that have remained a US phenomenon. Woodpeckers have a Precison Router Lift but it only suits F/B routers, I've contacted all the router suppliers and all state that they have no plans to import F/B routers here. Approval costs are very high for what is a small market.

Most of the F/B routers in the US are only 110volt so importing is not on.

Sorry Lou, but thems the facts!!!

Regards

The Woodpecker
www.woodpeckers.com.au

NewLou
22nd July 2005, 05:25 PM
Thx For the efforts GWhat!!!!

REally appreciate that Woodpeckers scouted around.................... when no others would touch on the Issue. Looks like I'll have to look into import COSTS!!!.................................OUCH!

REgards Lou

Gwhat
22nd July 2005, 06:31 PM
Thx For the efforts GWhat!!!!

REally appreciate that Woodpeckers scouted around.................... when no others would touch on the Issue. Looks like I'll have to look into import COSTS!!!.................................OUCH!

REgards Lou

Lou

The main point of my earlier post was to say.........what router are you going to use???????????? That particular table and many US Lifts / Tables are made for Fixed Base Routers, not Plunge Routers as are common here in Oz.

Have a really good look at this; http://www.woodpeck.com/precisionrouterlift.html
If you look at the 8th and 9th thumbnails down the right side you will see how the base of the router is actually removed and the motor only is clamped into the lift. This is not possible with a Plunge type router.

The typical manufacturers who sell Fixed Base Routers in the US only supply them in 110 volt versions, Porter Cable used to have a 240 volt unit but I'm reliably informed that they aren't available anymore. A step down transformer may work, but at the amps you will need it will be biggggggg and heavvvy.

The advantage that the F/B Router gives when mounting in a lift, Jessim / Woodpecker etc. etc. is that the collet can be brought up above the table height for easy bit changes. That said, a Xtreme Xtension does the same thing for Plunge Router in a UniLIFT.

I dream of finding a high revving 2 1/2 hp motor that can have a collet mounted on it, and then be fitted to a Precision Router Lift. That way a combined switch & speed control could be fitted easily somewhere on the table frame.

I hope this explains it all better than the earlier post.

Regards

The Woodpecker
www.woodpecker.com.au

NewLou
22nd July 2005, 07:43 PM
Thx for that Gwhat,

Its not so much the lift system that I'm interested in but rather the Table fence & mitre fence system..........My plan is to set up a Jessem Table and build a custom worksurface around it !!!!!!

On face value It would appear unusual that Jessem would not consider the use of plunge Routers in their table particularly a router like the Triton!

I'll have a look about and see what I can Dig up!!!

Regards Lou

NewLou
22nd July 2005, 08:01 PM
.................mmmmmmmm

GWhat after a good look at the Jessem system it appears that the table setup offers a number of options in particular - and I quote:

For a great ROUT-R-TABLE™ without height adjustment, this is our most
versatile insert plate solution. Our MAST-R-PLATE™ offers the same universalmounting system from our ROUT-R-LIFT™ allowing easy attachment to any router on the market, no drilling required.

Seems to be that the Jessem coupled with a Triton could be a potent combination Indeed. See Jessem WebSite under Master -r- Plate.................SO what you think GWhat????

REgards Lou

Gwhat
23rd July 2005, 08:48 AM
Lou

Yes, the std Rout R Lift, and Mast R Plate are suitable for the Triton (Ruckman, the Taiwanese manufacturers of Triton routers 'borrowed' the hole pattern from the Porter Cable 7539). When I looked, I looked at the top-end lifts that were all for F/B routers, sorry for the confusion.

Depending on the price, it could be a great set-up. Remember to factor in duty as well as GST when doing your calculations as unlike the US, we don't have a Free Trade Agreement with Canada.

Post some Pics when you have it all set up.

Regards

The Woodpecker
www.woodpeckers.com.au

NewLou
23rd July 2005, 09:10 AM
.......................yer thx M8 I Will :p

I believe Rockler & Woodcraft who are Official Worldwide Distributers of Jessem Products are Based in America ............................ So hopefully all the extra factoring won't apply.........................I'll do a few enquires and see how I go!!!

REgards Lou

Richardwoodhead
5th August 2005, 11:15 AM
Lou,

like you I'm looking for a really good router table. I built one myself, adapting a Triton router table top and embedding it into a larger home-made mobile work bench. It works "OK", but has it's flaws. As hard as I tried I couldn't quite get the Triton metal surface level with my workbench surface. (Partly because the Triton itself has slightly raised edging...). Plus the Triton set-up, while functional and good for what it cost - it is "cheap" and fits the "you get what you pay for" philosophy.

Anyway, so I'm following your quest with interest. And thought I'd throw in an idea I'm contemplating... Have you thought about a spindle moulder? By the time you buy a router and good table set-up, etc, you might have come close to the cost of a spindle moulder. Which should come with all the guide fences etc etc - plus built in "router".

If you do a google search "spindle moulder australia" you come up with a few sites. Like this one....

www.jacks.co.nz/spindle_moulders.html

But with your searching skills I bet you could find better stuff than me.

Be interested in your thoughts.

Richard

render2017
5th August 2005, 07:51 PM
If you want a router table in similar style to the JessEm, then go here:

http://www.benchdog.com/index.htm

The table is available with Aluminium or Phenolic plates, the plates they make support plunge routers, many of which are sold here including the Triton, they have one of the best fences around. I bought one here, but cannot remember where yet. I will hopefully soon. The table was cheaper (and better) than the JessEm.

Contact them, I am sure they can tell you where to get it in Australia.

The Lift table they have has similar problem to other US designs, only supports fixed base routers.

Does anyone have a fixed base router available here in Aussie ?

Ingrid H

NewLou
5th August 2005, 11:48 PM
Yer I've had no luck in my enquiries............All seems to much of a hassle for suppliers to send info.............and once again reinforces how rare places like Lee Valley are !!!..............that offer customer service second to none!!! (Anyway thats another story!!!)

At this stage I just could't justify the cost of getting a spindle moulder still being a Router apprentice & having to this date never had used a router table!!! .................

I'm now toying with the idea of making a torsion box and mounting a phenolic plate from woodpeckers in it!!!! but I can't see this happening within the next 18months so am interseted in which way you end up going Richardwoodhead!!!!!.................Please keep me posted on your progress!!!!

REgards Lou:(

Gwhat
6th August 2005, 08:05 AM
.......................yer thx M8 I Will :p

I believe Rockler & Woodcraft who are Official Worldwide Distributers of Jessem Products are Based in America ............................ So hopefully all the extra factoring won't apply.........................I'll do a few enquires and see how I go!!!

REgards Lou

Lou,

Customs charge duty according to the Country of Origin, not the point of sale, so therefore unless the declaration is falsified, duty will be charged as being ex Canada. The exemption being if the goods are <$250 landed, also avoid the postal service if the goods will be >$1000 landed as you will have to use your own Customs Agent, the other freighters have their own clearance departments at a nominal charge.

Having been stung myself, just be carefull.

Regards

The Woodpecker
www.woodpeckers.com.au

Dewy
12th August 2005, 01:40 AM
The Jessem plate is advertised in UK as being pre drilled to take any router.
They have not yet found a router that will not fit.
In UK the Rout-r-lift is £160 with the full table system at £500.
This does not include the mitre-r-slide which sells for an extra £190.
The ease of raising the router using the route-r-lift and the rest of the system put it on my wish list until Trend recently introduced the T11 which is made by DeWalt as an upgrade to the DW625 and has height adjustment from both top and bottom of the router and a larger appeture to take panel raising bits, as well as a few other improvements.
The mid range Chinese made Fox range of tools now has a router table with cast iron bed and sliding carriage with hold down clamp.
This has put a T11 & Fox table at the top of my wish list.