PDA

View Full Version : Forum get together

tinkera
7th July 2013, 02:55 PM
How about for those that want to, we arrange a barbeque or picnic get together. Basically for those members in South Aussie, but members from anywhere in the world would be most welcome. I have in mind a social gathering perhaps on a Sunday afternoon, to eat, drink, be merry and talk metal work. Probably in 2 or 3 months when it's a bit warmer. I live down South in Yankalilla & while I have the room & BBQ, I think it's too far to travel particularly for those that live North of the city. If the moderators think this is not an appropriate item to post, we could all bring something metal to discuss.
Looking forward to any ideas, thoughts or suggestions,
tinkera.

Gavin Newman
7th July 2013, 08:23 PM
I'd be a starter for that, I'm at Aberfoyle Park so Yankalilla is no problem for me.

tinkera
7th July 2013, 10:11 PM
Hi Gavin, Thanks for getting the ball rolling. As I said in the opening post I'm happy to have it at my place, I've got a large patio, hold 50 or 60 people, BBQ, & a couple of tables, I can easily borrow a couple of trestles. To be fair I guess everyone would have to bring meat, & a salad OR desert to share, drinks & a chair. I will wait & see how the thread develops.
tinkera (ian)

jhovel
7th July 2013, 11:08 PM
Hi Ian.
Nice to meet you today in Bendigo - albeit briefly.
Over the warmer months, I'd be amenable to do a motorcycle trip to Yankalilla and meet fellow forumites!
I'd need somewhere to sleep - probably two nights to make it a full day there. If that has potential, I'd be interested.

tinkera
8th July 2013, 01:00 AM
Hi Joe,
Yes good to meet you today, accommodation wouldn't be a problem I have a spare bedroom with en-suite, & there's always bacon & eggs in the fridge. Even if we meet closer to town for the rest of the group, you are welcome to stay & we can go to the BBQ together. Either in my car or 2 bikes.
ian.

Bryan
8th July 2013, 10:03 AM
Ian, I would be a 'maybe'. Logistically it would help if I could bring a 4 year old.
Aside from that I'm a bit of a social retard, and don't drink which makes it worse.
But I'm game. :)

Gavin Newman
8th July 2013, 11:17 AM
Aside from that I'm a bit of a social retard, and don't drink which makes it worse.
But I'm game. :)

Ditto...

tinkera
8th July 2013, 02:36 PM
Hi Bryan & Gavin,
I can't see that bringing a 4 year old would be a problem. Just bring soft drinks. The drinking is not the important bit, it's meeting others in the group to talk about like minded stuff, besides I'm interested in meeting you both, Gavin, aren't you a Go Kart man?
ian

Gavin Newman
8th July 2013, 02:41 PM
Yep, I build and race Superkarts, essentially a go-kart on steroids that runs on the full-size race tracks. In some classes, lapping faster than the V8 Supercars.

TheNutter
8th July 2013, 08:37 PM
Hi Tinkera
Good suggestion.
If I am around I am very interested. I am at Willunga so Yankalilla is very convenient.
Regards
Ian

Oldneweng
8th July 2013, 08:49 PM
No promises but I would try to make it.

Dean

eskimo
11th July 2013, 10:44 AM
I am interested
I will bring "iced tea" in a very dark bottle...............so the others dont see how much of a drunk I am

Oldneweng
10th August 2013, 11:43 AM
Just thought I would bump this thread to see what happens. Need to get the idea out there to see if more people are interested.

Dean

ps It was SWMBO who reminded me and asked what was happening.

DaveTTC
10th August 2013, 12:00 PM
If I happen to be heading over that way Id be interested

Im organising one too fot Australia Day weekend next year

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f25/wwjj-woodworkers-jerilderie-jaunt-feb-2014-a-170839/

Originally was gonna be feb but have bout it forward a bit. If your interested you ar more than welcome

tinkera
10th August 2013, 12:11 PM
Hi Dean, Thanks for the interest, with lots of things happening around that time for me, the best 2 possibilities are the 20th. or the 27th. of October, how does this fit with other members? I would like to see more people coming, & to that end I can use a venue closer to town. It is at O'Halloran Hill & has a large BBQ, lots of tables & chairs, toilets, under cover eating area & in a bushland setting. If more people would be interested at that location I don't think it would be inconvenient for those that live nearer to me. If the numbers are the same we can still hold it at my place. If it is held at O'Halloran Hill, those that want to come for a drive to my place at Yankalilla, would still be welcome on another day. I'll leave it up to the members to decide. Perhaps respond with a preference for the date & location. If either location is O.K. & also either date is O.K. please say so. To J. Hovel, if those dates suit you & you are still interested, I have room for you to stay for a couple of nights or more. To Bryan bringing your future 4 year old machinist is no problem at all. Just recapping, please bring your own meat for the BBQ & a salad or desert to share, plus your own drinks. If it is at my place you will need to bring chairs of some description, if it is at O'Halloran Hill you won't need chairs.
Ian

Oldneweng
10th August 2013, 01:24 PM
A pity the long weekend is not suitable for you. Either of these weekends are fine for me. O'Halloran Hill would be easier for me considering that I have to drive home after the get together. Yankalilla adds a lot of time and distance and I am familiar with the route from Flinders Med Cen, not that that is a good thing. I mostly haunt the North of Adelaide, having lived there for about 23 years. I have been to Yankalilla but if I remember correcty that was the time I ran off the road in my car and finished up in a large wet ditch. I drove home after being pulled out by a tow truck but it was a very slow trip at about 2:00 am. Max of about 40km/hr before car wanted to do strange things.:~

No promises but I will try to make it. SWMBO says it will be an opportunity to visit the grandkids.

Dean

Gavin Newman
10th August 2013, 05:24 PM
Ian

The 20th of October would suit me, I can't make the 27th as I'll be at Mallala trying to beat the youngsters and prove that youth and reflexes are no match for age and treachery:D. Either O'Halloran Hill or Yankallila are fine by me.

Rgds - Gavin

tinkera
10th August 2013, 08:49 PM
Hi Dean & Gavin, the 20th. is fine by me & so is O'Halloran Hill for Dean. I'm a bit tied up on the long weekend, Yank show on the Saturday & I've promised myself to go to Lower Light to see the final stage of the Queens shoot on the Monday. Used to be a big bore rifle shooter & plan to catch up with a lot of old friends. I will wait a few day's to see what other replies I get.
Ian .

Bryan
11th August 2013, 01:01 PM
Sorry guys but I can't really plan that far ahead. With a new baby in the house even a 24 hr plan is iffy. Let it fall when it may and I will come if I can. The location doesn't bother me. Any time I can get the girl out of the house is a help to the wife, but I would be more inclined to bring her if there were going to be other kids.

DaveTTC
11th August 2013, 07:18 PM
Sorry guys but I can't really plan that far ahead. With a new baby in the house even a 24 hr plan is iffy. Let it fall when it may and I will come if I can. The location doesn't bother me. Any time I can get the girl out of the house is a help to the wife, but I would be more inclined to bring her if there were going to be other kids.

shame my one is so far away, I have four under 5 and that aint counting if others bring theirs. I'm working on another one but my wife says no :(

Jerilderie Australia Day weekend if I can temp you, will be a mini rail and fireworks too

tinkera
14th September 2013, 01:06 AM
Hi fellow Forumites,
Not a lot of replies about the forum get together yet. Because the numbers didn't change if it was held nearer to Adelaide it is much easier to hold it at my place at Yankalilla. To suit Gavin, the 20th. of October would be the best date. If anyone is interested in turning up, please let me know. For those that are interested, I will PM you with address & directions. 11 a.m ish to whenever. Joe, let me know if you intend to ride over, accommodation is available. (I will be in Bendigo November 6,7,8,9, hope to catch up) Wives, partners, girlfriends & mistresses all welcome. Bryan, hope you can make it.
tinkera

Bryan
14th September 2013, 09:08 AM
Consider me a definite possibility. :)

Oldneweng
14th September 2013, 02:15 PM
I was thinking about bumping this thread only yesterday. Gotta advertise.

With an early start,

11 a.m ish to whenever

I am able to get away mid afternoon or so. Put me down as a contestant.

Just need to find the best route from there back to the freeway. It is a long time since I drove the Fleurieu area. Probably 35 years. Too far from usual haunts.

Dean

tinkera
14th September 2013, 04:59 PM
New Plans, As it doesn't look like hundreds will be turning up, I will supply snags, meat patties, bread, potato salad & a lettuce tomato etc. salad. All everyone needs to bring will be drinks & chairs. Hope this makes it easier. If anyone prefers to bring their own steaks, there will be plenty of room on the barbie.

Oldneweng
14th September 2013, 08:37 PM
New Plans, As it doesn't look like hundreds will be turning up, I will supply snags, meat patties, bread, potato salad & a lettuce tomato etc. salad. All everyone needs to bring will be drinks & chairs. Hope this makes it easier. If anyone prefers to bring their own steaks, there will be plenty of room on the barbie.

That just may open the floodgates. :D Add free beer and it will be a certainty. Wont make any diff to me tho. 25 years since I decided just did not like it. :no:

I may bring some meat. I try to avoid snags. I am trying to be as healthy as I can be! :rolleyes: Might need to kill a cow. Actually we need to kill a cow/steer and some sheep. We are about out of meat. Time to look out for deer too. Good time of year. If I can just shoot one from the shed it would be good. Have seen them in the past but never when I have time to deal with them. They make great, healthy snags.

Dean

Gavin Newman
14th September 2013, 10:37 PM

She Who Must Be Obeyed and I are definite starters, thanks for organising it all.

Rgds - Gavin

Bryan
15th September 2013, 11:24 AM
Just need to find the best route from there back to the freeway. It is a long time since I drove the Fleurieu area. Probably 35 years. Too far from usual haunts.

Dean, there's no direct way. I would turn off just before Tailem Bend to the Wellington Ferry, Langhorne Creek, then either north to Strathalbyn or south to Milang, Finniss & Mount Compass. I'm not so familiar with the coastal side. A simpler route would be via Mt Barker. Google maps will help.

Oldneweng
15th September 2013, 01:07 PM
Dean, there's no direct way. I would turn off just before Tailem Bend to the Wellington Ferry, Langhorne Creek, then either north to Strathalbyn or south to Milang, Finniss & Mount Compass. I'm not so familiar with the coastal side. A simpler route would be via Mt Barker. Google maps will help.

Thanks Bryan. I was going to check Google Maps. Usually when working out a route like this I start by typing for example "Tailem Bend to Yankalilla" into Google. This will bring up Google Maps with the route displayed. I can work it from there. My last option is to let my GPS direct me. That is sure to get me completely lost.

When heading home after a weekend away I prefer the simple route on main roads rather than the scenic route.

Dean

ps Going that direction will get me lost! :rolleyes:

Oldneweng
15th September 2013, 01:25 PM
A quick check tells me that there is virtually no difference in distance between going straight on to the freeway at Mt Barker, Strath then on to the freeway or Strath then to Tailem via Wellington. Only a couple of Km in it. The suggested travel times are quite a bit different tho. I will go with the first route unless something better comes along.

Now I will need to get that info onto my GPS. I have a program called TYRE that is sort of a way to get Google Maps Routes onto your GPS. It uses its own map version tho and this works a bit diff to Google. Plenty of time yet but if I don't do it I will find myself trying to program the GPS on my way home.:C First real chance to use TYRE on an unknown route.

Dean

tinkera
15th September 2013, 05:57 PM
Hi Dean,
It's not that difficult after you have done it a couple of times. Yankalilla, Myponga, Meadows, Echunga, Mt. Barker, home. When you are here, we can look at google earth & I can print off the maps.
ian

Oldneweng
15th September 2013, 09:07 PM
Hi Dean,
It's not that difficult after you have done it a couple of times. Yankalilla, Myponga, Meadows, Echunga, Mt. Barker, home. When you are here, we can look at google earth & I can print off the maps.
ian

Thanks Ian but I will be ok. I have a pretty good sense of direction. I have to cos I keep going away without a map lol. I remember a couple of trips to Melbourne, going all over the place for appointments and shopping all using the GPS only. Rather difficult.There was one appointment that was about 800m from where we were driving along Victoria Street. The GPS said turn right here. The signs, lights and traffic said don't turn here. What should have been a five min drive took 45 mins lol. We finally stopped and bought a map when on the way home cos I took a wrong turn and just wanted to go straight home the quickest way possible by then.

I will have the GPS sorted by then. The trick is to know before hand which way you want to go and keep giving the GPS excuses why you cannot go the way it wants you to until it gives in and lets you have your way, grudgingly. There is a road that I travel every day to work etc that the GPS refuses to accept continues over the border. It also suggests it takes an hour to travel 7 km of dirt road.

Knowing the towns you mentioned which are the same ones Google said to go thru when I checked this morning, I could probably find my way without any assistance at all. I'll be fine.

The other thing I have to decide is which vehicle to bring. We generally take the Rodeo on trips at the moment but a 4WD is not ideal on slow winding roads. I would prefer to have the Falcon Wagon in that case. Either one is good to drive long distance but with better handling and auto the wagon will be easier. Both have all the mod cons such as cruise, ABS and are very comfortable. I need to finish off some work on the wagon before hand tho.

Dean

tinkera
21st September 2013, 09:06 PM
Hi Guys (& Ladies)
Just a reminder about the "Get Together" at my place on 20-10-2013. Not many participants at this stage, if you are intending to come for a pleasant drive & FREE BBQ, please let me know so that I can get the snags & hamburger steaks.
tinkera.

Gavin Newman
21st September 2013, 11:01 PM
Hi Guys (& Ladies)
Just a reminder about the "Get Together" at my place on 20-10-2013. Not many participants at this stage, if you are intending to come for a pleasant drive & FREE BBQ, please let me know so that I can get the snags & hamburger steaks.
tinkera.

I'll be there with my (much) better half.

tinkera
27th September 2013, 12:07 AM
Hi folks,
October the 20th. is getting closer for those that are coming to the BBQ get together. Not many starters yet only Gavin & his "much better half" & Dean. There was some interest early on but it seems to have waned. How about Bryan, Eskimo, Michael G & others?
tinkera

folks,

eskimo
27th September 2013, 08:50 AM
Count me out at this stage ....I have made plans to go fishing...but I am awaiting confirmation from a mate....he is waiting on his work schedule to come thru.

tinkera
27th September 2013, 10:33 AM
Thanks Eskimo, hope they bite well. Do the initials R Q mean anything to you?
tinkera

eskimo
27th September 2013, 10:52 AM
tinkera

yes they do....why do you ask

tinkera
27th September 2013, 11:58 AM
Just curious, the forum is too public to comment further, we will catch up one day.
tinkera

eskimo
27th September 2013, 12:04 PM
Just curious, the forum is too public to comment further, we will catch up one day.
tinkera

Ok....what was i did that you dont want the others to know...

you should'nt keep us guessing...let them know.....so i will then know......hahaha

pm me.

now i am curious...i dont know anyone in Yankalila....not that i thought anyway

Bryan
27th September 2013, 05:14 PM
Ian I'm hoping to come. That's as much as I can say I'm afraid.

eskimo
27th September 2013, 06:06 PM
Ian

ah ah a clue...but I'm still non the wiser......:no:

Its been in and out of my head all day

I'll go have a beer seeing its knock off time...maybe that'll help...if it doesnt I probably wont care anyway

???????....you know I wont get any sleep tonight ....dont you...and if I shoot crappy tomorrow I am going to blame you

Michael G
27th September 2013, 11:55 PM
tinkera

yes they do....why do you ask

Is this one of those moments where Greg Q pops up and says in a slow deep voice "Eskimo - I am your brother"?

Hi folks,
October the 20th. is getting closer for those that are coming to the BBQ get together. Not many starters yet only Gavin & his "much better half" & Dean. There was some interest early on but it seems to have waned. How about Bryan, Eskimo, Michael G & others?

Unlikely. Apart from ruining any good opinion some may have of me (not having met me), being off somewhere with "the guys from the forum" for the majority of the day would consume quantities of domestic credit. While I could ask my wife along as she has absolutely no interest in anything machine like, that probably would not work either.
I've never been 100% sure how much at ease she is with my shed activities. A lot of the time she is quite happy with me "playing with machines" while at other times I feel that there is much less tolerance for it. At the moment with the way work and other things are changing, being home and able to lend support is something I feel would be far wiser.
I'm sure that some of you have been in the same place.

However, as Bryan and Dean (and one or two others) can vouch, I do receive visitors.

Michael

eskimo
28th September 2013, 11:02 AM
Is this one of those moments where Greg Q pops up and says in a slow deep voice "Eskimo - I am your brother"?

how did GQ get involved in this....

I am very confused...lol...and perplexed....

:feedback: ...would be nice

Oldneweng
28th September 2013, 12:45 PM
Ok I can vouch for Michael receiving visitors. I cannot say much for his parking facilities tho! LOL.

Michael I can understand your position fully. I am fortunate in 2 ways in regard to this matter.

1. My wife does show some interest in my activities although she is unlikely to start metal working, thank goodness. :2tsup:
2. My metal working activities are very beneficial to running this property.:D

I have finally sorted the route from Yankallila to home this morning. Dead easy to do. Type "Yankallila to Naracoorte" into Google, click on the map to bring up Google Maps which has the right route already selected. Copy the web address. In the TYRE program select File/Import From Website. Paste into address bar of the window that appears and click on import. The route then appears in TYRE. Next is copy to the GPS (Garmin or Tom Tom). I have not done this yet. The only difficult part would be to change the route in Google Maps if this was needed.

This was the first time I have used the import function in TYRE. Like most programs these days the help system is web based. I don't know about anybody else but I find that web based help systems are pretty close to completely useless. They are never laid out in a useful way and you cannot do a search unless you happen to be on the right page. I wanted to refresh my sketchy knowledge of how to use the program but gave up after about the 3rd new web page still had not got to the actual info. I did go back later and with one click learnt how to import. Its not much fun doing all this with a slow connection. With forum pages I click on about 4 and go play solitaire. The speed has got a lot worse in recent months.

Dean

Michael G
28th September 2013, 07:11 PM
how did GQ get involved in this....

I am very confused...lol...and perplexed....

:feedback: ...would be nice

The initials given were R Q - the only person I know with Q as a surname is Greg. At the time I was thinking star wars (Darth Vader - "Luke, I am your father"). He couldn't be your father, but a long lost brother?

Michael

eskimo
29th September 2013, 10:27 AM
The initials given were R Q - the only person I know with Q as a surname is Greg. At the time I was thinking star wars (Darth Vader - "Luke, I am your father"). He couldn't be your father, but a long lost brother?

Michael

nah, none of them..not even related...our surnames may start with same initial and apart from next letter which can must be used after a "Q" that is where there the similarity ends .

tinkera
17th October 2013, 11:49 PM
Hi Guys, just a reminder that the Barbie is on at my place this Sunday (20-10-13), if anyone who has not contacted me would like to come, just PM me & I will send you my address. I would like to know asap so that I can get the food stocked up no later than Saturday 10.00 a.m, Eskimo, are you fishing or BBQing? (I can imagine the look on Garry's face if you show him the needle pic.)
tinkera.

eskimo
18th October 2013, 08:19 AM
Hi Guys, just a reminder that the Barbie is on at my place this Sunday (20-10-13), if anyone who has not contacted me would like to come, just PM me & I will send you my address. I would like to know asap so that I can get the food stocked up no later than Saturday 10.00 a.m, Eskimo, are you fishing or BBQing? (I can imagine the look on Garry's face if you show him the needle pic.)
tinkera.

Hi Ian...(You know him.....still cant put a face to your name...lol.)

Neither unfortunately,
I have been grounded by gardening jobs which I promised to do several months ago, so I promised her and had to renege on fishing trip also, to stop the S%&# hitting the fan so to speak

Have a good time one and all.

Gavin Newman
20th October 2013, 09:03 PM
Thanks to Ian for hosting the get-together today at his (spacious:C:C) workshop. Not many attended but those who did enjoyed it immensely. We must do it again some time.

Bryan
20th October 2013, 09:21 PM
I will second that. Great food, beautiful setting, neat workshop. Even the people were tolerable. :D
(That's irony. The people were lovely.) Thanks again guys. :2tsup:

Oldneweng
20th October 2013, 09:48 PM
I will third that. Got home 30 mins ago after an uneventful trip and a very enjoyable day. Was home 2 mins past the GPS estimated time from the start of the trip.

Dean

JohnQ
20th October 2013, 09:55 PM
Did anyone take a camera???

JohnQ

Bryan
20th October 2013, 10:28 PM
Did anyone take a camera???

Nah, you had to be there.

tinkera
20th October 2013, 10:53 PM
Thanks guys for the great comments, I (& Diana) enjoyed it immensely, the best part was the people, BUT, followed by a VERY close second was the chocolate slice, supposed to be a piece a day, I'm now about up to next Wednesday.
ian (tinkera)

Oldneweng
20th October 2013, 10:59 PM
Thanks guys for the great comments, I (& Diana) enjoyed it immensely, the best part was the people, BUT, followed by a VERY close second was the chocolate slice, supposed to be a piece a day, I'm now about up to next Wednesday.
ian (tinkera)

I am good up untill the weekend at least. :D

Dean

eskimo
21st October 2013, 08:11 AM
maybe I will be allowed out next time:D

Bryan
21st October 2013, 10:31 AM
maybe I will be allowed out next time:D

No need; the next one's at your place. :roflmao:

tinkera
21st October 2013, 02:09 PM