PDA

View Full Version : Lipton

springwater
10th July 2013, 07:14 PM
While the dogfs ran around and munched on their fav grassy patch I made Lipton. Lipton survived last weeks gales and by the look of the foot prints around got a few views without being tampered with.
On beached coastal banksia, made with tea tree sticks, cuttlefish, crab shell, seaweed and a bit of polystyrene.

underfoot
11th July 2013, 06:09 AM
..Nice one Spring.:2tsup:..I love putting together found things on the beach..
...just gotta make sure no-one is around watching a grownup play silly buggers..:B

Robson Valley
11th July 2013, 06:17 AM
Wonderful. Exactly the delight to run across on a wander down the beach.
Could be any one of several of my classmates from my 50th highschool reunion a couple of weeks back.

artme
11th July 2013, 12:42 PM
Oi think the answer lois in the soil!!

springwater
16th July 2013, 06:55 PM
Well the dogs got a romp today. Amazingly no one on the beach on such a fine day, not even Lipton, Lipton has flown from the perch to who knows where. So I made Tetley :D

copeau
16th July 2013, 10:26 PM
:U
There gonna be the Tea family !
Nice !

Robson Valley
17th July 2013, 02:34 AM
Certainly steeped in history. Too bad there's always people who just can't leave well enough alone.

springwater
8th August 2013, 10:10 AM
While these little escapades are by no means meant to be permanent as they're only picariously put together with things found on the beach I paid more attention to securing Tetley compared to Lipton. Although over the last month or so we've had some wild winds and rain, I doubt whether it would have been enough to break Tetley away. However, Tetley is gone leaving behind a little reminder.

Here's some stuff collected from four trips to various beaches around here and plonked on my bench in the shed.

Whittling
8th August 2013, 10:55 AM
Seems like a fairly poignant environmental statement right there. I can feel the vibrations from here. Looking forward to the visual when it materialises.

underfoot
8th August 2013, 12:05 PM
Here's some stuff collected from four trips to various beaches around here

..You might like Byron Bay artist John Dahlsens stuff..his thing is beach detritus..

springwater
8th August 2013, 07:47 PM
Seems like a fairly poignant environmental statement right there. I can feel the vibrations from here. Looking forward to the visual when it materialises.

I'm thinking the hardest part will be keeping things as loose as Lipton and Tetley were.

..You might like Byron Bay artist John Dahlsens stuff..his thing is beach detritus..

Yeah, sort of, he also did thong totems too I think. It's not the look I'm after though, not that I know exactly what that is as yet and it'll change when I start shaping it up I suspect.

springwater
16th September 2013, 08:12 PM
Went down a valley past Flinders and got electrified a couple of times by the same fence :doh: Picked up a coupla doz of unexpected cow rib bones along the way and made it to a stuff trap by the ocean I hadn't been to for about 25 years or so :- I gathered up an over flowing back pack full of stuff and there's prolly another million or so I left behind for another day :rolleyes:

Whittling
17th September 2013, 10:03 AM
Love the pics! Where ever it is, it reminds me a lot of our own coast here at Waitpinga in SA. We've got 'stuff traps' too but getting to them is so arduous that the 'stuff' stays there, tantalizingly in sight at the bottom of 400 foot high cliffs, but out of reach.

springwater
17th September 2013, 09:19 PM
Love the pics! Where ever it is, it reminds me a lot of our own coast here at Waitpinga in SA. We've got 'stuff traps' too but getting to them is so arduous that the 'stuff' stays there, tantalizingly in sight at the bottom of 400 foot high cliffs, but out of reach.

It's roughly 3/4 between Flinders and Bushrangers bay in Victoria. Most of the creeks, which only constantly run in winter/Autumn and are very snakey the rest of the time, follow a path between basalt headlands like what can be seen in pic 2. The coves that they trickle out to are all stuff traps for the easterly water movement and nearly all have no sand beaches just rock then waves and some have some great rock pools and caves, oh and there's eels in the creeks :oo:

robba74
21st September 2013, 08:13 AM
Love the work:2tsup: It is surprising the stuff that is laying/washed up on beaches. I have been travelling in Queensland for the last few months and visited/Camped at many of the beaches along the coast. have picked up a lot of rubbish but thrown it into the bin. Might have to keep some of it and see what I can create.

springwater
26th September 2013, 01:45 PM
Crack...BANG...missed me by that much! Could've been worse, could've been better but at least the kids are ok and the barbed wire canoe didn't get a scatch on it...phew :rolleyes:

springwater
21st October 2013, 08:27 PM
I walked to a few other likely coves along the coast to find them fairly clean of plastics and other stuffs which was good but prolly due to the months of offshores we've had lately but still returned with an overflowing back pack full of things and a few score length of tangled rope. I've been untwisting the ropes I've found into strands and making a background for the figures I'm slowly constructing. Still a while to go as yet.

copeau
22nd October 2013, 01:26 PM
many kids, then !
did ya fix their house ?

springwater
22nd October 2013, 08:20 PM
many kids, then !
did ya fix their house ?

Yes lot of kids, a whole tribe. Their house is fixed with ropes, tarps and buckets at the moment and nothing is where it used to be, couldn't even find the mozzie coils the other day when I badly needed them :rolleyes:

springwater
5th December 2013, 08:44 PM
Mucking around with field placements temporarily fixed to the working wall.

Robson Valley
7th December 2013, 03:49 AM
Given Victoria's southern exposure and whatever ocean currents come by, do you have any ideas where the rubbish originates? You don't appear to lack color variety to work from!

springwater
7th December 2013, 10:24 AM
Given Victoria's southern exposure and whatever ocean currents come by, do you have any ideas where the rubbish originates? You don't appear to lack color variety to work from!

It's nearly all local rubbish, most of it from fishing activities, stuff fallen from pleasure boats, snapped ropes and lost beach toys. There's also numerous plastic bottles, plastic bottle tops, cigarette lighters, plastic inserts found in the peak of baseball style hats and the ubiquitous thong sandal (flip flops). What's far less obvious are the very small chips of plastics that I see washed up where the final reaches of the high tide were, they can number one in every 100mm on some beaches.

springwater
10th December 2013, 02:53 PM
That's about all for now, time to pack everything in and move on, maybe see you along the way.

Claw Hama
21st February 2014, 09:27 PM
So Springy, done anymore Liptons or Leos etc lately ? All the rubbish on the beach has been removed ? doubt that :U

springwater
26th February 2014, 01:09 PM
So Springy, done anymore Liptons or Leos etc lately ? All the rubbish on the beach has been removed ? doubt that :U

Howdy Craw good to hear from you, all the liptons are done and waiting to come together for a game of cricket on the beach, well that was the original idea anyway. I picked up a huge plastic wading pool cast out on a "nature strip" which I cut the bottom out of with intentions of using it as the background with the liptons attached to it with velcro. I've since wandered away to other things at the moment and waiting for the autum and winter storms to throw up some new stuff.

Claw Hama
26th February 2014, 04:02 PM
Sounds good, may the ill winds of autumn and winter blow you some useful crap :D

springwater
5th March 2014, 04:18 PM
Sounds good, may the ill winds of autumn and winter blow you some useful crap :D

In the mean time, just dealing with "stop the boats" etc & the latest "locked up Forests", did u get that delivery in three words? ?

springwater
30th March 2014, 03:08 PM
Worth a look:
http://iview.abc.net.au/programs/garbage-island/ZX9681A001S00#playing

Claw Hama
30th March 2014, 09:44 PM
Hi Springy, pretty sickening but no great surprise. Did you try and PM me this a while back? Very interesting, might plonk it on facebook too, might wake someone up. So we all need to be making liptons to use the rubbish. Whenever I go scuba diving I bring back stuff in my pockets. Our coast isn't as bad as this this area, the Northern Pacific would be a lot worse now after the sunami in Japan were so much stuff was washed out to sea. :C

springwater
31st March 2014, 06:43 PM
Hi Springy, pretty sickening but no great surprise. Did you try and PM me this a while back? Very interesting, might plonk it on facebook too, might wake someone up. So we all need to be making liptons to use the rubbish. Whenever I go scuba diving I bring back stuff in my pockets. Our coast isn't as bad as this this area, the Northern Pacific would be a lot worse now after the sunami in Japan were so much stuff was washed out to sea. :C

Hi Sir Craw, I tried to PM you something a while ago but it wasn't the link above. I'll give it another shot, nothing og great importance just a little light entertainment really.

Robson Valley
1st April 2014, 08:45 AM
The Japan Current has been bring us stuff for centuries. The high prizes are the hand-blown glass fishing net floats,
many of which are still in their own little hand-woven net coverings. I've seen them in collections = from grapefruit to basketball in size.

This time around, the crud should be here soon, from Oregon north to Alaska. So far, the best of the best was a 15-20m chunk of boat dock and a big motorcycle, packed in leaky styrofoam. Electrolysis in seawater kind of tarnished the "crotch-rocket." The original owner was found, the guy said he didn't need it back.

The real concern is what's maybe coming as "hot stuff" from the Fukishima (sp?) reactor itself.
I suppose if we stay up really late at night, we will see it coming.