PDA

View Full Version : Segmented Turning

L R P
11th July 2013, 10:12 AM
Hi All
Does anybody think a new subforum on segmented turning would be any good?

orificiam
11th July 2013, 06:41 PM
I'd be interested in it.

Cheers Tony.:)

jchappo
11th July 2013, 06:56 PM
I'm sure it would be of interest to some ... but, hey, its still woodturning.

Removing posts about segmented turning from the general woodturning forum could perhaps turn (no pun intended) it into an elite pastime, and not encourage new turners to try it. And yes, I do dabble in segmented turning.

Anyway, it doesn't really make a difference to me as I don't sub-forum hop, I always log on through 'New Posts' and see all new posts regardless of which sub-forum they have been posted in.

powderpost
11th July 2013, 10:06 PM
I would be very interested. However, there is a segmenting forum in America that caters especially for segmentors, here I don't think there is a wide enough interest in this form of turning. I agree it is still a form of turning and adds something extra to general turning. Besides, I think the axe wielder probably has enough to do apart from dealing with a mob of unruly segmentors.
Jim

orificiam
11th July 2013, 10:34 PM
I would be very interested. However, there is a segmenting forum in America that caters especially for segmentors, here I don't think there is a wide enough interest in this form of turning. I agree it is still a form of turning and adds something extra to general turning. Besides, I think the axe wielder probably has enough to do apart from dealing with a mob of unruly segmentors.
Jim

Unruly??? US?? :no::no:

Sturdee
12th July 2013, 10:07 AM
Hi All
Does anybody think a new sub forum on segmented turning would be any good?

I can't understand this request.

Don't you guys want non segmenters to look at this kind of turning? :? Or interest turners to try it by showing what can be done?

If so, go ahead and petition for a sub forum to hide away in, for a lot of people don't use the "New Post" button and only go to their special interest forum so they'll never see your posts.

Peter.

L R P
12th July 2013, 11:30 AM
Hi again
After reading the replies I tend to agree, use the yanks, and leave well enough alone.

chrisb691
12th July 2013, 11:34 AM
I can't understand this request.

Don't you guys want non segmenters to look at this kind of turning? :? Or interest turners to try it by showing what can be done?

If so, go ahead and petition for a sub forum to hide away in, for a lot of people don't use the "New Post" button and only go to their special interest forum so they'll never see your posts.

Peter.

Surely he is entitled to his opinion? I don't see the need for the offensive response just because your opinion differs. Just my opinion.

orificiam
12th July 2013, 11:59 AM
Surely he is entitled to his opinion? I don't see the need for the offensive response just because your opinion differs. Just my opinion.

Nicely Put Chris, :2tsup:

A Duke
12th July 2013, 12:10 PM
I think that goes both ways, a reasonable question was asked and I do not think it should have been described as stupidity. There are politer ways of disagreeing.
Regards

DJ’s Timber
12th July 2013, 12:21 PM
Lets keep it friendly and drop the name calling.

DJ

Christos
12th July 2013, 10:36 PM
Personally I do not think it should be separate.

Paul39
13th July 2013, 11:12 AM
I have been turning around 7 years. I do mostly bowls from crotches, stumps, crazy twisted figure, etc.

I enjoy looking at the segmented pieces and admire the work and patience that goes into them.

If the segmented pieces were put into another forum I probably would not go looking for them.

nrb
14th July 2013, 11:43 AM
I'm not a turner and always go straight to "new posts" I may one day give turning a go so it would be better for it to stay in the general site ,my 20 cents worth,what it may be worth.

dai sensei
14th July 2013, 08:19 PM
Personally I do not think it should be separate.

+1