PDA

View Full Version : Good form oak acorns

MAI
13th July 2013, 03:35 PM
I'd like to plant some oaks (quercus) for eventual timber; albeit down the track a bit :) Proseed in NZ have some var fistagata with claimed good form but to import these acorns I would have to have them fumigated which is expensive.

Anyone know where I could get some seeds for good form oaks?

nrb
13th July 2013, 05:08 PM
:2tsup:

Stu70
23rd July 2013, 09:12 PM
G'day MAI

Look into Pinoak (can't remember the Latin name) if my memory is correct. It can be observed in suburban Melb and regional Vic and often has great form. Don't know about growth rates or wood quality but the form certainly gained my attention some years ago.

Timless Timber
24th July 2013, 01:42 AM
I know of the location here in the West of a couple of well formed oaks around a century old (Planted at white settlement of the southwest area) ...from which seed could be collected.... the trouble is I'm 300 km's away and your the other side of this pizza we call home.

How bad do you want this seed?

Surely Melbourne has some old oaks?

How much seed do you need?

MAI
12th August 2013, 11:36 AM
G'day MAI

Look into Pinoak (can't remember the Latin name) if my memory is correct. It can be observed in suburban Melb and regional Vic and often has great form. Don't know about growth rates or wood quality but the form certainly gained my attention some years ago.

We have some in a street close by. Even with limited silviculture they do have good form. But the growth rates in Melbourne don't impress. I'm guessing they were planted when this area was developed 80 years ago. DBH's of perhaps 70cm or so. (I should measure them.)

I'm salvage milling a log that came off a double leader Red Oak (Quercus rubra) in the Dandenongs. The stem that fell over is over 50 cm DBH (measured). This tree was planted in about 1965. The other stem is much larger at about 1m DBH (I should measure it). The site in the Dandies is not dissimilar to what I have in Sth Gippsland. So it would appear that Red Oak would do well down there.

Melbourne's rainfall is around 650mm. So it's possible that the pin oaks would do better in a high rainfall site like the Dandies/Sth Gipps

Ian Wells
1st September 2013, 08:06 AM
There are pinoaks all down Albert street in east Melbourne, Pinoak Crescent in Flemington is surprisingly full of them. There are about eight that I can recall within walking distance of me here in Coburg,-and I'm pretty sure most nurseries sell them.