PDA

View Full Version : Temporary Work Bench

Cliff Rogers
14th July 2013, 12:33 PM
Away from home & I wanted to do some electronic work, I had my tools but no where to work.

Buzz off to Bunnies & get a $19 kit set workmate, a $9 light, $2.50 4 port power board, $6 set of plastic clamps, & a 20W low energy bulb.

Scrounge up a bit of painted ply.

Ply is clamped to the workmate, power board is clamped under the end of the ply.

Bingo, work bench.

Currently set up to do some electronics work, going to mod a couple of FX pedals.

A Duke
14th July 2013, 12:54 PM
:2tsup:

Fuzzie
14th July 2013, 12:58 PM
Cliff that's not temporary, it's just portable. :wink:

BobR
14th July 2013, 01:01 PM
There's no stopping the man.

Chesand
14th July 2013, 01:02 PM
:2tsup: Necessity is the mother of invention

ozdude
26th July 2013, 11:05 PM
I can see that growing :U This is my temporary electronics bench a couple of years ago, got enough crap to fill another temporary bench out in the shed, that's just what I was using at the time. What are you doing to those Boss pedals, op-amps? true bypass?

Ticky
27th July 2013, 12:13 AM
:2tsup: Necessity is the mother of invention

And the Father of Unborn Children :wink::wink:

Cliff Rogers
27th July 2013, 09:50 AM
Nice bench OD, that cro sure is a fat bastard. :D
I wish I had a cro of some sort 'cos I have a delay pedal with a whistle in it & a cro would be good for finding it.

I have some mod kits from Fromel Electronics (http://fromelelectronics.com/) for a CS-3, SD-1, BD-2, & an Ibenez TS-9.

The CS-3 doesn't get new op-amps, the overdrive pedals do.
The kit for the TS-9 will make it more like the original TS-202

This Supreme mod kit takes things one step further than every other kit out there and replaces virtually every cap in your signal path with high quality Film and Mica caps.
No Cheap ceramics or tantalum caps here.
Additionally, the kit includes vintage 1N34A Germanium Diodes, a socket for a new op-amp, two new op-amps and a water-clear bright LED

ozdude
2nd August 2013, 08:03 PM
Yeah that Tek is a big cro but you can measure up to a gig with it, there's another smaller Tek cro under the desk and I also have a small digital scope. For a lot of things you can't beat cro's, digital displays on the other hand are a bit limited unless you spend big bucks.

Yeah I also mod my pedals, mainly to get them quieter when they are too noisy, and certainly to properly by-pass them. Here's what I use to bypass some of my pedals - Jack Deville True Bypass module, uses a micro relay for the signal switching. Pic shows my CS-9 after mod. Yeah you could whip one up yourself with a pic easy enough but for the price he sells them for its not worth the effort making them up in my opinion.

You are far better off using a Signal Tracer to find the whistle in your delay pedal, just follow the signal through the circuit and at the point it starts whistling you will be just behind the component that is causing the problem.

Cliff Rogers
2nd August 2013, 10:44 PM
Ta, where'd ya get the Jack Deville True Bypass modules, the web site says they are "TEMPORARILY UNAVAILABLE" & it has been that way for a while now.

I built myself a sig tracer too, it is also in a container about 1800kms from here. :rolleyes:

It is easy to use & I will try to remember to look for it if/when I get a chance to go home.

ozdude
4th August 2013, 07:21 PM
I got a few modules from the site about a year ago, he's a good guy you can email him and he should get back to you pretty quickly. Had an issue with the wiring on the pdf back then and he got back to me within a day giving me the new link to the updated board which he had not uploaded to his links at the time. If you got a few pedals you want to mod its best to get a bunch of them as they are popular and go quickly when there is stock. As far as I know he only runs a small operation so this is most likely the issue with availability, he can't keep up :cool:

ozdude
4th August 2013, 07:26 PM
And sorry yes, you are away from your tools, know that would drive me batty too. I got tools for everything, makes life easier, so long as you have access to them :U