PDA

View Full Version : Stairway lighting

AndyChiz
16th May 2005, 12:03 AM
Greetings all - my first post...so be gentle!

In the middle of a reno that includes a below ground cellar, reached by concrete stairs from the living space above. Because this won't be a thoroughfare, I'm interested in lighting the stairs subtley...but safely!

I've looked at various options in brick lights, LEDs & low voltage lights and am having trouble finding anyone who can explain to me what would be best. The electrician I'm using has turned me off a few options, because the light unit is enclosed - so the wiring would have to be "chased" individually from each light to the switch (does that make sense?) My preference is a fitting that can be wired in series down the stairway.

I also want something that has low heat...and is relatively flush to the plastered wall...and preferably a silver finish.

Any suggestions anyone?

Dan
16th May 2005, 11:06 AM
Any light fitting you put in will still need wires going back to the switch and the usual way to hide the conduit is as your electrician said, but there only needs to be one trench with all the fittings wired in parallel. There wouldn't even be any need for two way switching because anyone going into the cellar will be comming out again so the only switch will be at the top of the stairs(?).

simon c
16th May 2005, 11:56 AM
If the lights you are using are enclosed and you want to connect them from one cable then you would need a junction box by every light as the normal process would be to use the connections on the light for the junction but that would not be available to you.

So you would then need to have space for a junction box at every light, or run each light on a separate cable. This assumes you are using 240v lights. If you use low voltage, you won't need a junction box as you can connect the lights to the main cable using a much more rough and ready approach as it doesn't have to comply to the same wiring standards. You could do the lighting yourself if it is low voltage, but you would have to use a adapter into a socket rather than a light switch because you wouldn't be able to wire up the switch yourself.

However, low voltage would seem a good option for a basement stairs because of the chance of water ingress or accidental damage moving things up and down teh stairs etc. If you are looking into the lights, then include garden lights in your review as some of them will look quite good in a basement.

LEDs are another option, cheap to run, low temperature BUT the light they give off is an eary blueish colour. Not as ready available as low voltage, but I kbow clipsal do a garden light kit in LEDs. Very good value. I tried them but took them out in the end as I didn't like the blueish colour.

AndyChiz
16th May 2005, 04:22 PM
Thanks guys.

Dan: Appreciate the need for the conduit. Electrician said with a closed unit that I'd need separate conduit for each light going back to switch. 4 lights...4 conduits - seemed a little excessive. And yes, the plan is to only have the 1 switch - just have to make sure the wife doesn't keep switching it off on me!

Simon C: I'll check with the electrician about the junction box. My preference is 240V because of the heat...looked at LED - almost went that way, until the electrician put me off!

I'll chase up another electrician for a second opinion on the wiring options.
Cheers.

MrFixIt
16th May 2005, 04:54 PM
Hi

There are sooo many light fittings that you COULD use, however you don't say quite how you would like the stairs to be lit.

Do you want EACH tread to be illuminated? (you referred to "brick" lights.

Do you want the stairs illuminated from above, ie the ceiling above the stairs.

How many steps are there?

I have found it very useful to use "cabinet lights" for "normal" lighting purposes. These cabinet lights are designed for fitting into (you guessed it :D ) cabinets. They have a shallow depth if recessed - as they are designed to fit within the thickness of a 18-19mm mdf board. They come with a "surround" that allows you to "surface" mount them, in which case they are about 20mm deep/thick. They are low voltage and each can have a max of a 20watt halogen globe.

This is convenient, as this means you can power 5 (20watt) units with a single 100watt electronic transformer. The transformer needs to be connected somewhere in the middle of these lights though, as a light at the end of a series of 5 lights in a row would be dimmer than the one at the transformer end :D.

In my reno I am using 5 of these lights in a passageway this gives a pleasant "downlight" appearance without being too bright and effectively spreads the 100watts of light along the passage. I like it anyway :D

Ianab
16th May 2005, 10:25 PM
LEDs haven't reached the mainstream for lighting .. yet.

But with something like stairwell lighting they may be ideal, low power, low heat, 20 year lifespan.. but you are probably still in the DIY dept. :rolleyes:

You could build a set of lamps, each running from 12 volts, powering a set of hi-intensity leds on each step. Because the whole setup would run off 12 volts @ 3 amps you dont really need electrician to install it, just get him to wire a power socket under the stairs for the transfomer.

Ian

Disclaimer - I've only ever light up the case of my PC, but the theory is the same, just one light module for each step ;)

simon c
17th May 2005, 08:47 AM
LEDs haven't reached the mainstream for lighting .. yet.
I agree LEDs are nearly here, it's just the colour of the light that I think is wrong. Bunnings sell a set of garden step lights which are black covers and would be simple for a DIY installation (if you get the electrician to wire up a switched socket for the transformer). I had fully intended to install them in our place, bought them tried them out but the light is cold and blue - once they get that sorted out, they will take over.

AndyChiz
17th May 2005, 10:01 PM
Thanks again all. Found a lighting shop that knows what they're talking about! Settled on a basic rectangular brick light, chrome face with smoked glass that can be wired as I wish. It's 240V and can use long-life fluros.

The wife is happy.
Cheers.