PDA

View Full Version : WANTED : Old cast iron wheel

DaveTTC
16th July 2013, 08:55 PM
I have an old treadle lathe and want to attach an old cast iron wheel as a 'fly wheel' to keep the momentum going.

I would like something heavy and attractive about 1200 mm / 4' diameter.

Not sure if this is the best place to put this if the mods think there is a better place please move this ad

regards

Dave

Oh and Im in southern NSW on the Newel highway - somewhere with in a few hundred km would be preferred but if further we can see what can be arranged

DJ’s Timber
16th July 2013, 10:07 PM
1200mm cast iron wheel would more than likely tip the treadle lathe on its end.

I have a pair of cast wheels here that I don't want to part with, that are around 600mm and they are bloody heavy. Had to use the bobcat to move them unless I wanted to roll them from my neighbours place.

DaveTTC
16th July 2013, 10:17 PM
I'll beef it up to suit - hoping for spoked wheel

DJ’s Timber
16th July 2013, 10:25 PM
Mine are spoked as well, will take a pic tomorrow to show you. Would weight them as well but don't have any scales on hand to do so, unless I take them to Swanpool to uncle's winery who has scales that would handle them.

Will be heading up there in the next month or so. Will take one with me to weight.

DaveTTC
16th July 2013, 10:37 PM
sounds good, I'll be watching out for it. Some pics would be nice too

DJ’s Timber
16th July 2013, 10:52 PM
Coindence or what :U

The wheel shown here is very similar to what I have but I'm sure the spokes are thicker.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/hand-made-treadle-lathe-173771/

DaveTTC
16th July 2013, 11:03 PM
yeah Ive seen that one, it is pretty good

DJ’s Timber
17th July 2013, 04:26 PM
This is the wheel that I had in mind, I can barely pick the edge up to stand it up, it is bloody heavy.

Is about 2' across, the jerrycan next to it is 20lt for size comparison.

If you had one of these on a treadle, it'd just about run all day I reckon :)

DaveTTC
17th July 2013, 07:27 PM
so if i get a 4' it should run for a week ;)

orificiam
17th July 2013, 07:56 PM
so if i get a 4' it should run for a week ;)

Can you Imagine waiting for a week for the wheel to stop so you can check the work??:?:?

Cheers Tony.:)

DaveTTC
17th July 2013, 08:25 PM
Can you Imagine waiting for a week for the wheel to stop so you can check the work??:?:?

Cheers Tony.:)

got a way around that one ;)

and no its not a grenade

TTIT
17th July 2013, 10:35 PM
Saw a ripper for you today Dave! About 1 metre diameter with 3 double-bend spokes - would look sweet on a lathe :cool: . . . . . . but the cattle station that attached their mailbox to it might not agree :B:U

DaveTTC
17th July 2013, 10:41 PM
Saw a ripper for you today Dave! About 1 metre diameter with 3 double-bend spokes - would look sweet on a lathe :cool: . . . . . . but the cattle station that attached their mailbox to it might not agree :B:U

you tease ........ How bout you take a photo for me, if I like it I'll give you the thumbs up and you can get a print block-mounted and switch the pic for the real thing while no one is watching ;)

NeilS
18th July 2013, 10:21 AM
I may have a spare wheel off an old cast iron clothes mangle, BUT I'm extra busy for some time and can't even get to where it might be to check.

So, if you are extra patient in the hope that I do still have it and. if so, prepared to work out how to get it from the Adelaide Hills to you, and meet the cost, then I will eventually check to see if I still have it.

It's something like off these cast iron mangles (https://www.google.com.au/search?q=cast+iron+mangle&client=firefox-a&hs=LLc&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=IyTnUYaJF6bZigeplIHoAQ&ved=0CDcQsAQ&biw=1320&bih=650).

DaveTTC
18th July 2013, 10:39 AM
Neil this link does not show until I go to quote you and anything I write below your quote does not show either

I'll hang in and wait for a pic, need an excuse to go to Adelaide, oh did not see the link when I read your reply will check it out now.

the link does not show for some reason till I quote you to reply

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=cast+iron+mangle&client=firefox-a&hs=LLc&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=IyTnUYaJF6bZigeplIHoAQ&ved=0CDcQsAQ&biw=1320&bih=650

I may have a spare wheel off an old cast iron clothes mangle, BUT I'm extra busy for some time and can't even get to where it might be to check.

So, if you are extra patient in the hope that I do still have it and. if so, prepared to work out how to get it from the Adelaide Hills to you, and meet the cost, then I will eventually check to see if I still have it.

It's something like off these cast iron mangles (https://www.google.com.au/search?q=cast+iron+mangle&client=firefox-a&hs=LLc&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=IyTnUYaJF6bZigeplIHoAQ&ved=0CDcQsAQ&biw=1320&bih=650).

I'll hang in and wait for a pic, need an excuse to go to Adelaide, oh did not see the link when I read your reply will check it out now.

the link does not show for some reason till I quote you to reply

johnredl
18th July 2013, 11:40 AM
I'm in Adelaide and I'm after a wheel for the same reason also. Does anyone have a nice heavy one closer?

DaveTTC
18th July 2013, 11:55 AM
I'm in Adelaide and I'm after a wheel for the same reason also. Does anyone have a nice heavy one closer?

Have you tried stepney salvage, are they still near the ice rink

robo hippy
20th July 2013, 05:54 AM
i have a buddy who used a car brake drum for a fly wheel. He said next time he would use a heavy truck brake drum.

robo hippy

johnredl
20th July 2013, 10:05 AM
Hmmm that's an idea, not as aesthetic as a spoked wheel tho

Paul39
20th July 2013, 11:10 AM
If you don't find a nice cast iron one, here are some ideas for making one of wood.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=853&bih=484&q=wood+lathe+fly+wheels&oq=wood+lathe+fly+wheels&gs_l=img.12...2687.9595.0.11771.21.11.0.10.10.0.159.1240.1j10.11.0....0...1ac.1.21.img.g3tT3PcT7Gg#hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&q=wood+lathe+flywheels&spell=1&sa=X&ei=INTpUdzoBYXc8wTFkICoCw&ved=0CFAQBSgA&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.49478099,d.eWU&fp=fc9f494fc734e43c&biw=853&bih=484&imgdii=_

DaveTTC
20th July 2013, 07:09 PM
thanks for the alternative options guys. Am really hoping for an iron one with aesthetic appeal and weight as I hope this to be a show piece that I can take to fairs and demonstrate on

NeilS
21st July 2013, 07:37 PM
Here we are Dave.

Diameter 500mm

Weight 13kg

Cog

Shaft bore a generous 1"

Flaw on rim

As you can see it would need some heavy wire brush work and a few coats of paint (I've had it sitting in the shed for at least 40 years).

Only weighs 13Kg, but most of that weight is out on the rim, so should have a fair momentum when cranked up. My experience of treadle lathes is so long ago (50+ yrs) that I would only be guessing now, but reckon you could turn a pen or egg cup on the run down... if you use really good sealed bearings throughout your lathe.

No key-way, but does have a hole for a screw but not sure if it is, or ever was, tapped.

When struck while suspended gives off more of a ring than a thud, so probably doesn't have any cracks in the casting.

If you can't find one locally you are welcome to it, with previous provisos.

Is anyone on the forum travelling from Adelaide to/through Sth NSW in the near future?

DaveTTC
21st July 2013, 07:58 PM
Yes Neil I could make that work. I could even run that in conjuction with a larger one if I can source one.

As i look at your wheel I'm thinking 'cog' wonder if I can make that work.

I'll be in touch. I did see someone doing Adelaide to Horsham. I have a mate in Horsham.

johnredl
22nd July 2013, 04:06 PM
Dave did you see this:

Old wheels and axle on Gumtree http://www.gumtree.com.au/c-ViewAd?AdId=1020346184

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

DaveTTC
22nd July 2013, 11:50 PM
Dave did you see this:

Old wheels and axle on Gumtree http://www.gumtree.com.au/c-ViewAd?AdId=1020346184

Spew - just clicked on it and says page no longer exists

johnredl
23rd July 2013, 12:04 AM
Spew - just clicked on it and says page no longer exists

If you go to gumtree, search all categories, all Australia. Search for 'cast iron wheel'. It still shows up on my iPhone app. I can get the guys mobile number.

DaveTTC
23rd July 2013, 01:13 AM
If you go to gumtree, search all categories, all Australia. Search for 'cast iron wheel'. It still shows up on my iPhone app. I can get the guys mobile number.

how much and where are the ones you are talking about

thx

johnredl
23rd July 2013, 01:15 AM
how much and where are the ones you are talking about

thx

$65. There were 2 wheels and the round bar axel between

johnredl
23rd July 2013, 01:16 AM
Located in Forbes NSW

DaveTTC
23rd July 2013, 01:35 AM
great, I'll follow them up. The ones in Forbes, I go thru there in a few weeks from now

johnredl
24th July 2013, 11:11 AM
How'd you go Dave? Just curious...

DaveTTC
24th July 2013, 11:50 AM
just got onto him, was flat out yesterday. I will get them, and see how they are. If all else fails they will make a nice garden ornament. Will keep all posted as I make progress

If Neil is happy to offer that one to you instead that is fine, otherwise If no other takers I will follow it up for myself. I dont want to be greedy so happy to give yo an option on it.

Thanks for the head up on the other one, I pass Forbes frequently

regards

Dave

NeilS
24th July 2013, 11:07 PM
If Neil is happy to offer that one to you instead that is fine, otherwise If no other takers I will follow it up for myself. I dont want to be greedy so happy to give yo an option on it.

As he first raised the request, Dave had first pick. But if he is happy to extend the offer to John then that's OK with me.

John, PM me if you wish to follow up.

johnredl
9th August 2013, 12:03 PM
Sorry Neil I only just now read ur kind offer. I'm going to leave it however...I found this wheel at a salvage yard in amongst lots and lots of steel wheels of various sizes.

It's 600 diameter and 100 wide. Not sure how heavy, but I'd guess about 40kg or maybe more.

johnredl
9th August 2013, 12:04 PM
just got onto him, was flat out yesterday. I will get them, and see how they are. If all else fails they will make a nice garden ornament. Will keep all posted as I make progress

Thanks for the head up on the other one, I pass Forbes frequently

regards

Dave

How'd you go Dave?

DaveTTC
9th August 2013, 02:34 PM
I'm heading up that way in 2 weeks I think so will check it out then

NeilS
10th August 2013, 11:16 AM
Sorry Neil I only just now read ur kind offer. I'm going to leave it however...

OK, John.

All the best with your project.

DaveTTC
10th August 2013, 11:27 AM
well I'm still interested Neil. There was lift I could have organised a week ago but think I have missed that. If you are not in a hurry I will see what comes up for transpost.

regards

Dave

johnredl
10th August 2013, 11:39 AM
If Neil's doesn't work out for some reason, 'DeYoungs Salvage' in Seaford, Adelaide have a pallet full

DaveTTC
10th August 2013, 11:41 AM
If Neil's doesn't work out for some reason, 'DeYoungs Salvage' in Seaford, Adelaide have a pallet full

thanks john

NeilS
11th August 2013, 09:43 PM
well I'm still interested Neil. There was lift I could have organised a week ago but think I have missed that. If you are not in a hurry I will see what comes up for transpost.

regards

Dave

No hurry at my end, Dave. Take your time. It has been waiting for a good use for the last four decades (originally I got it as a spare for the mangle I converted into a printing press, but it was never needed), so neither the wheel nor I will be offended if we keep company for a bit longer.

DaveTTC
11th August 2013, 09:49 PM
Thanks Neil

DonIncognito
14th August 2013, 05:16 PM
originally I got it as a spare for the mangle I converted into a printing press

Now, I know im new to this forum, but one thing I have picked up is that its actually illegal to say something like this and not post pics.

Not my rules sorry.

Sounds like a neat project though.

DaveTTC
14th August 2013, 07:54 PM
Now, I know im new to this forum, but one thing I have picked up is that its actually illegal to say something like this and not post pics.

Not my rules sorry.

Here here, or hear hear, not sure which one is right. But I agree that would be well worth the look

NeilS
14th August 2013, 10:00 PM

Not my rules sorry.

You are little late, the last time it was assembled and used as a printing press was 40 years ago.

It was then converted to be used to roll clay into even slabs for making ceramic tiles. The last time it was together and used for that purpose was about 30 years ago.

If anyone is interested in doing something similar, here are some instructions on converting a mangle into a printing press (http://www.gfsmith.net/mangle%20conversion.html).

I still have the mangle, but a bit neglected nowadays. Here it is propping up some blackwood, native cherry and silky oak logs waiting to be turned, and behind it is one of my three pottery kilns, also now neglected. I really did need a few more lifetimes to do everything thoroughly...:rolleyes:

RETIRED
14th August 2013, 10:24 PM
Neil, was it litho or woodcuts?

DaveTTC
14th August 2013, 10:31 PM
that looks pretty cool, would love to have seen it as a printing press, for some reason when you first mentioned it I was thinking a ringer over the old washing machines, but hey I'm barely over 40 myself

NeilS
15th August 2013, 12:00 AM
Neil, was it litho or woodcuts?

Mainly woodcut, but also a bit of etching and engraving.

I still have most of my tools (like this (http://www2.langara.bc.ca/prm/2011/images/Other/woodblocking_02.jpg)), which come in handy for other wood related uses nowadays.

Paul39
20th August 2013, 12:18 PM
When I saw mangle I thought of this:

http://icouldcrybutidonthavetime.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/mangle.jpg

Which was used to iron sheets and pillow cases on this side of the pond.

When Neil posted his photo I thought WOT??, and looked up mangle in Wikipedia which said the British mangle was called a wringer in the US, and showed this photo:

File:Mangle.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Mangle.jpg)

AH SO!!

NeilS
21st August 2013, 10:06 AM
Yeah, down this way we had what we called mangles and wringers, the distinction was one of size and technology development. My grandparents began with the old style mangle, my parents began with a hand cranked wringer (like this (http://www.google.com.au/imgres?start=238&client=firefox-a&hs=2PG&sa=X&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&biw=1417&bih=628&tbm=isch&tbnid=XY8smX5SPnYwMM:&imgrefurl=http://www.100tonsofstuff.com/renwaldollfurniture.htm&docid=d2te08QhdIGYGM&imgurl=http://www.100tonsofstuff.com/images/Doll%252520Furniture/WringerWasherTop1ws.jpg&w=540&h=417&ei=z-oTUp6NGo3jkAWWr4G4Ag&zoom=1&ved=1t:3588,r:50,s:200,i:154&iact=rc&page=9&tbnh=182&tbnw=240&ndsp=30&tx=123&ty=73)) that attached to washing tubs which were located next to the wood fuelled copper which boiled the clothes, and later they had a powered wringer integrated with an electric washing machine (like this (http://www.google.com.au/imgres?client=firefox-a&hs=vjv&sa=X&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&biw=1417&bih=628&tbm=isch&tbnid=PR6-zJzt6Jn2pM:&imgrefurl=http://www.ebay.com/bhp/vintage-wringer-washer&docid=SY8MdrcFB1z0oM&imgurl=http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTAyNFg2MTU%253D/z/~4MAAOxyhodRvMlP/%2524T2eC16VHJIQE9qUHtHqFBRvMlOqUP!~~60_35.JPG%253Fset_id%253D8800005007&w=180&h=300&ei=ouoTUoSXIc65lQXlhICICw&zoom=1&ved=1t:3588,r:85,s:0,i:342&iact=rc&page=3&tbnh=176&tbnw=105&start=58&ndsp=32&tx=66&ty=73)). Our first washing machine was a twin tub Hoover that did away with the wringer, the second tub was spin dry tub which you put the clothes into after they were washed in the first tub, then... etc, ...etc.

The laundry that housed the copper, mangle and washing tubs was quite a size, and in our case was a separate structure to the house. The space required by a modern washing machine need be no more than a wide passageway to the back door. Definitely progress, especially not having to split the kindling and stoke the copper to bring it to the boil before breakfast, which was one of my childhood jobs...:(