PDA

View Full Version : My new brand for bowls etc

dai sensei
19th July 2013, 04:48 PM
I already have a brass plate for larger furniture items, but for bowls etc I have been using either burned or engraved hand lettering, then filled or not with a highlight colour. My last Jacarander bowl was engraved and then filled with gold resin, but as usual my writing wasn't the best, so it attracted some fair enough constructive criticism I should improve :-.

So I looked into getting a branding iron with my name and avatar on it. I ended up going with CNC Creations – Branding Irons (http://cnccreations.com.au/brandingirons.php#artwork) and got it today. They were great to deal with :2tsup:, as I changed my mind on the size and shape quite a bit before settling on a 41mm dia, with the sides cropped to reduce size of brand and soldering iron required :rolleyes:.

Took it for a test drive on some scrap plywood, and yes it took a while to get used to it, but I'm pretty happy. I found a slight rocking movement best, rather than a simple press, to get an even burn. Also had to be very careful not to over burn.

The photos below are of the brand, then used on some Huon pine (for a soft light timber) and some Jam (for some very hard darker timber), both just planed flat not sanded. Should be even better on a sanded flat surface on the bottom of my bowls etc. I'll need some more practice each time I use it on scraps, but it looks a heap better than my hand writing :U

Cheers

NeilS
19th July 2013, 07:35 PM
I like, and my Japanese in-laws would love it!

TTIT
19th July 2013, 10:24 PM
Cool :cool:

How long does it take to get up to temp??? I've got mine just about right now, heating it with the Butane (I think?!) torch for 2.5 minutes gets it just right (counted, not timed - no clock in the shed :B )

dai sensei
19th July 2013, 10:51 PM
How long does it take to get up to temp???..

15 mins, I just plug it in and have a cup of tea ('s influence)

MBM888
20th July 2013, 12:44 PM
Great looking image on the branding iron. One of a kind and easily identifiable.:2tsup: