PDA

View Full Version : Glue chucks - double sided tape OK?

Grey beard
19th July 2013, 06:08 PM
Hi All,

I've made up glue chucks a couple of times now, firstly using Titebond II, and then Selleys Aquadhere, and both turned out OK, but I left clamped both times overnight to make sure the bond was good before turning.

I don't have a hot glue gun, and aren't really planning on getting one, so would like some advice on quicker bonding glues - as in glue goes on, right to start turning in a few minutes - or if double-sided tape is OK to use (i'm keen to give the new Gorilla DS tape a go).

Cheers

dai sensei
19th July 2013, 07:59 PM
What are you trying to hold?

TTIT
19th July 2013, 10:19 PM
I have used DS tape over the years for many odds and ends - as long as you have enough surface area connected it's amazing how strongly it will hold - but it's a pain to clean off so I look to other holding techniques first these days.
Hot-melt glue grips better but is equally painful to clean off - but they are so cheap I don't know why you wouldn't want to get one. I think my kit of 2 different sized guns plus glue sticks cost around $10 :shrug:

tea lady
19th July 2013, 10:34 PM
I'd only do double sided tape on wide flat things. Saw in an artical someone put tape on both surfaces. But I've never have much luck with the thing sticking long enough.

I got my glue gun for $2 on special somewhere.

And there is always 5 minute epoxy. But glue gun is the go I reckon.

Colin62
20th July 2013, 08:31 AM
The downside of doubled sided tape is that it is flexible, and you don't want it flexing causing your bowl to move while turning. I have used a glue gun too - quick and easy, and fills the gaps so the two surfaces don't have to match exactly. Cover the bottom of the bowl with masking tape first, and you don't have the hassle of cleaning the glue off your bowl.

Rod Gilbert
20th July 2013, 09:03 AM
I have used double sided tape on numerous occasions and for small items it can be a great method as long as you realize its limitations the best tape I have found to use is the webbing type that carpet layers use its a bit like gaffer tape with glue on both sides holds well if you have a good contact area. As for hot glue if you put the finished article into the freezer the glue goes very hard and can be removed more easily. I believe if you use masking tape under the hot glue to make clean up easier are you not relying on the masking tape to be the actual bond between the job and the face plate? As with all these methods you still have to be aware of the limitations of each method and take light cuts to avoid knocking the job loose.
Regards Rod.

orraloon
20th July 2013, 10:36 AM
I have never tried double sided tape for turning so wont comment on its holding power. Cost wise hot melt would not be any more expensive in the long run and I can say it holds well.
Regards
John

Colin62
20th July 2013, 05:33 PM
I believe if you use masking tape under the hot glue to make clean up easier are you not relying on the masking tape to be the actual bond between the job and the face plate?

Yes, you are. The masking tape I use (3M if I'm not mistaken) actually grips pretty well - I do make sure that it is rubbed firmly into place first. When pulling the bowl off the sacrificial wood, the masking tape and hot glue seem to have similar strength, as there will be portions where the glue pulls away from the wood, portions where the glue pulls away from the masking tape, and portions where the masking tape pulls away from the piece being turned.

As with all these methods you still have to be aware of the limitations of each method and take light cuts to avoid knocking the job loose.

I couldn't agree more :)

turnerted
20th July 2013, 05:58 PM
Hot melt glue is the way to go.Heat your tennon up in the microwave until it is almost too hot to handle,about 30-40 seconds in my microwave, then put a good dollup of glue on it and stick the two bits together then into the freezer for 10-15 minutes if you are in a hurry.
Ted

tea lady
20th July 2013, 06:41 PM
Hot melt glue is the way to go.Heat your tennon up in the microwave until it is almost too hot to handle,about 30-40 seconds in my microwave, then put a good dollup of glue on it and stick the two bits together then into the freezer for 10-15 minutes if you are in a hurry.
Ted:never worried about going to all that trouble. Just make sure to give the gun enough time to be hot enough. I forced it once. :doh: I hardly wait for it to cool. Bring the tail stock up to hold in place to do clean up turning before taking it away and going for it. :cool:

Grey beard
22nd July 2013, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone, sorry I haven't replied earlier.

I'll see how it goes.

powderpost
22nd July 2013, 10:27 PM
I use selleys exterior pva.. (tradesmans Choice) pretty much exclusively for glue chucks now, after trying a lot of different methods. Some of my projects can take up to six weeks to prepare so I don't want failures. I will happily turn after a one hour gluing time, but I will admit to using sharp tools and a relatively gentle approach.

Jim