PDA

View Full Version : Pre-holed or Pre-drilled angle iron or steel/alloy availability?

seanlark
19th July 2013, 06:49 PM
I am keen to source some lengths of pre-holed or pre-drilled angle iron or steel/alloy (I think it is called 12 or 14 gauge?) to make up some work trolleys and/or tool trolleys to which I would add a wooden top and lockable wheels.

When I have searched on this I come up with US or overseas suppliers but not local.

Anyone know of local suppliers or what is available?

thanks, Sean

Uncle Al
19th July 2013, 08:21 PM
Dexion slotted angle is probably what you are after.

Have a look at Shelving | Office shelving | Slotted Angle Shelving - Dexion (http://www.dexion.com.au/en/p/browse-by-product/59/176)

You might be able to source some from a second hand shelving and racking company, or even a shop fitting company.

Good luck with your project.

Alan...

seanlark
20th July 2013, 05:57 AM
Thanks Alan they (Dexion) certainly seem to utilise what I am after - the pre-holed sections. I will enquire of them if they sell those. However I assume they won't be keen to send me to their source? Regards, Sean

pipeclay
20th July 2013, 09:29 AM
They do sell the slotted angle, but it might not be to the size you require.

Chief Tiff
20th July 2013, 10:12 AM
I noticed in Bunnies the other day that there were selling something that may be suitable? Slotted angle, slotted RHS and some pretty ally RHS with plastic knock in fittings that make skeletal frames for stuff like coffee tables and shelving units.

seanlark
20th July 2013, 11:46 PM
Thanks that sounds promising

seanlark
22nd July 2013, 10:30 PM
Went to Bunnings today and found they do have a product close to what I was after - Metal-Mate (by RCR) 'Slotted Steel Angle' - called 'bolt and build'.

It cost the following in case anyone is interested:

600mm @ $4.48
900mm @ $6
1200mm @ $8.18
1800mm @ $12

regards, Sean

pipeclay
23rd July 2013, 09:35 PM
Did you compare to what Dexion would charge for there lengths.

seanlark
23rd July 2013, 09:56 PM
No I didn't but good point as the Bunnings price did seem on the high side regards Sean

seanlark
29th July 2013, 04:06 PM
Here is what I received from Dexion in case it is of interest by way of comparison:

The angle comes in various sizes, but the standard size is call 160 Angle (about 40mm x 40mm). It comes in 3810mm lengths, either galvanised or painted stone White.

Price per Length $29.00 + GST Painted Depends on quantity required as well.
$37.50 + GST Galvanised

There would also need to be base-plates, corner plates, nuts & bolts.

nearnexus
29th July 2013, 04:56 PM
Salvage yards sometimes have Dexion. It's widely used for shelving/racking, which it's good at, and what it was originally designed for.

I don't really like the stuff for other jobs though, always looks like Meccano set construction and invariably has nasty pointy bits where they've cut through a slot to make it fit :)

I've got various SH lengths in the shed I will never use. I drag them out once in a while for a job, and always put em back on the heap again.

But for quick and dirty I suppose it's OK.

Rob

bsrlee
1st August 2013, 01:29 AM
Look at sellers of reconditioned or second hand shelving, most of them have a few truck loads of various lengths of 'Dexion' angle, along with the various fasteners, folded sheet metal shelves etc. Or Ebay where people are trying to get rid of odd collections they salvaged - I got mine from the side of the road one council bulk rubbish day.