PDA

View Full Version : Questions about wood

ozzieflyer
16th May 2005, 09:06 PM
I was walking through the second hand dealer today, he had a stack of jarrah, approx 4x4 (100mmx100mm) for sale, at approx $10 per metre.

Is it worth ripping and planing and thicknessing this sort of stuff?

I particularly want to make a display cabinet, that has glass shelves etc, and thought the Jarrah might look nice for all the cabinet and door framework. The guy at the shop made a comment that the Jarrah would be too heavy. What do you think?

He had some blackwood floor boards too, which might also come up well for the frames of the cabinet and the doors.

Other thoughts are to use Rosewood, I love its red colour, but I have no idea where to get it.

E. maculata
16th May 2005, 09:24 PM
#1yep I reckon it's worth it, jarrah at only $1000/M3,
#2 really timber can be too heavy for furniture...didn't realise that, crikey wonder if ours will fall apart now I know :rolleyes: ? (sorry couldn't resist the dig at the seller)

AlexS
16th May 2005, 10:06 PM
I reckon Jarrah looks absolutely great, & that sounds like apretty good price. Unless you & your SWMBO are planning to throw the furniture at each other, the weight shouldn't be a problem. Go for it.

Quokka
16th May 2005, 10:20 PM
Grab it !!!!!! I live were they mill the stuff and can't buy Jarrah that cheap. As for to heavy
'He has got to be joking' or did he have some authentic baltic pine grown right here in Oz a bargin at half the price.

Sorry I also could not resist had a very similar experience with salvage yard operator.

Q

Ashore
17th May 2005, 12:30 AM
I was comming home from holidays with wife and stopped a couple days in Lismore to visit her relatives and foume myself in a second hand timber yard as you do and i came across some second hand rosewood 1" thick 5" wide t&g lining boards with 25 coats of various paint ,ex lining boards from a demolished house in lismore, these were $5 A meter 8 years ago . I bought all he would sell me , very cramped in the car back to newcastle & the wife was not a happy camper.
Took ages and a mass of work to clean up for use still have some left.
And you ask if just ripping and thicknessing 4 x 4 jarra from a local supplier is worth it
My advise is get all you can even if you don't make this furniture from it you will find a thousand uses over the next few years and will kick yourself if you don't.

Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive.

Stylesy
17th May 2005, 01:18 PM
Definitely grab it - and then send it to me!! :D

Just as a point of reference, Carba-etc has 80x19 jarrah for $8.12/m, so you could get 4 boards from each post. $32.48/m versus $10? Very good deal :D

Cheers, Craig.

Greg Ward
17th May 2005, 04:16 PM
I was walking through the second hand dealer today, he had a Other thoughts are to use Rosewood, I love its red colour, but I have no idea where to get it.If you want Rosewood, no problem. Mal from Boutique Timbers in NSW can arrange and ship from Sydney to you, or he will be exhibiting at the Melbourne www show, and you can arrange for him to take whatever you want down with him.
Send me a private message if you're interested, or call him next week after 7.00. He's at The brisbane www show this week,
regards
Greg