PDA

View Full Version : Hardwood timber suppliers Perth metro

Dry Fire
21st July 2013, 02:18 PM
Hi everyone.
I am an archer and embarking on a longbow making project.

Bear with me guys but I have tried other sites where I get a pletherer of replies saying 'go to this archery website' or 'you tube' etc..

There are plenty of 'archery websites' with tips on yanks using 'american timbers', some English using 'yew' and various other timbers and a handful of guys in the eastern states using 'eastern state timbers'. There are also dozens of 'you tube' vids for tips on making etc.. etc.. I have watched, recorded and noted all of them.
However, longbow making in Perth is almost non existent and furthermore information on Perth metro suppliers of either imported or good quality local hardwoods is almost as non existent. I suspect these suppliers are out there but I work long, long hours and don't have the time to run around on weekends hunting for these places. So what better place to ask for help than on the 'woodworking forum'.

The other problem is that I dont need large sizes or quantities of the stuff. At this stage I need enough to make 3-4 bows, which is about 16 staves @ 50mmx25mmx2400mm of various types of local, straight grain, no knots, you get the idea.

I dealy I want to discover what 'west australian' timbers will be best for these bows. I don't mind going through many month of trial and error to achieve this if no-one here has really tried hard enough to work at it. Yes there is a well know guy here in perth who makes longbows here and I dont want to do what he does. If you know about archery I want to make an 'English style' one piece longbow along with laminated variations.

So, can anyone point me to a place in the Perth metro area or anywhere not too far away where I can get good quality hardwood timbers of local, european, amrican origin or even weird exotic timbers? They are all worth a try.

Look forward to anyones replies.

Thanks
Dry Fire

yowie
21st July 2013, 11:25 PM
Carbatec have a fair range of different woods from all over the place out the back - maybe give them a call, they may be able to recommend something.

Wanderinau
22nd July 2013, 12:10 AM
You could try "The Timber Bloke" in Naval Base as he has a good range of WA Hardwoods
Its best to ring him and see when he is there

rod1949
22nd July 2013, 03:35 PM
This link through the Forest Products Commission maybe of help Forest Products Commission: Plantations: Species information (http://www.fpc.wa.gov.au/content_migration/plantations/species/)

lesmeyer
22nd July 2013, 06:45 PM
You can also visit the wood show at Claremont showgrounds on 2/3/4 Aug (in less than 2 weeks). There is usually a fair bit of timber available as well as contacts to purchase timber.
Les

Dry Fire
22nd July 2013, 11:29 PM
You can also visit the wood show at Claremont showgrounds on 2/3/4 Aug (in less than 2 weeks). There is usually a fair bit of timber available as well as contacts to purchase timber.
Les

Thanks everyone for your help.
I'll take a look at the wood show as well, I usually go to that.

Cheers
DF

Sprog
23rd July 2013, 12:34 PM
So, can anyone point me to a place in the Perth metro area or anywhere not too far away where I can get good quality hardwood timbers of local, european, amrican origin or even weird exotic timbers? They are all worth a try.
Thanks
Dry Fire

You could try Austim
Austim Pty Ltd, 252 Gnangara Rd, Landsdale WA 6065
Ph: (08) 9409 6111

Austim (http://solidsbyaustim.com.au/)