PDA

View Full Version : New Turner with a New Toy

SNAFU11
22nd July 2013, 09:02 AM
Hi guys,Having joined my local Men's Shed and started to learn wood turning and after joining The WoodWork Forums and reading lots of threads and watching loads of You Tube woodturning videos (i watched 's saftey ones first:;) I decided it was time to buy my own lathe,Got in touch with the boys at Pop's Shed and purchased my Lathe/Chisels and a 4 jaw chuck,the guys there looked after me and wasn't a problem with all the questions i asked,My toys arrived over a week ago but was busy with Dr's app and other things so i didn't get to have a play on the lathe till a couple of days ago, i'm a keen fisherman so first thing i turned was a Fish Quitener Downer out of some scrap pine then had a go at turning up my first bowl,they have only been polished with chithot wax as i don't have any other polishes but heading to the WoodWork Show at the w/end so will be buying some goodies while i'm there..prob not the best pictures,if you see where i can improve feel free to say so,i'm here to learn so any comments appreciated....cheers Mick!!!277901277902277903277904

orraloon
22nd July 2013, 10:00 AM
Its fun aint it! Reckon youre hooked.
Regards
John

delbs
22nd July 2013, 10:07 AM
Cool pics :) is that your first attempt at a bowl? nice one!

im picking up my lathe this weekend while at the WW show in Syd too.

artme
22nd July 2013, 01:34 PM
Off to a flying start I see!!!

Nice work n all that I can see!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Now, get yourself some colourful timber and get into it!!

smiife
22nd July 2013, 08:12 PM
hi mick,
looking good mate ,my only suggestion would be

MOVE THE CAR !!!!!!!!!!!!
well done:cool:
cheers smiife:2tsup:

Osbojo
22nd July 2013, 11:46 PM
:whs:

Beedeejay
23rd July 2013, 11:20 PM
Well done Mick,
you are well on your way, :2tsup::2tsup:
now you just need to join the dark side and turn a pen:oo:

Cheers Ben

SNAFU11
31st July 2013, 05:08 PM
Well done Mick,
you are well on your way, :2tsup::2tsup:
now you just need to join the dark side and turn a pen:oo:

Cheers Ben
Ben, Dorno made me do it :roll: Started to turn Dark already :U Here's my first crack at a pen,you might not see the imperfections but there there..Can only get better from here...Thanks for the kind comments guys...And Smiife i have shifted my car mate :) ..cheers Mick!!!

artme
31st July 2013, 05:34 PM
You're in already!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

delbs
31st July 2013, 06:56 PM
Awesome!! Great first pen. You have more garage time than me at the moment :)

ian thorn
31st July 2013, 10:10 PM
Enjoy your new addiction and have fun the pics look like you are of to a good start:2tsup:

Ian

Seagull
5th August 2013, 05:39 PM
Nice work there Snafu.Yer that car needs to go to the dumo doesn't it wrong brand :q.Must be time for some poppers is it?

Cheerz Errol

Evanism
6th August 2013, 03:52 AM
Looks like your fish quietner-downer could also be used on the kids if they get a bit rowdy :o

Wood Nut
6th August 2013, 09:26 AM
Ben, Dorno made me do it :roll:

Hi Snafu11,

Well done on your first lot of turning, but remember..... even Dorno is now doing some "real" turning (in addition to his pens):D

Dorno
6th August 2013, 09:32 PM
Now Now Mr Wood Nut do I have pick on me written on my forehead or something :D I seem to be copping my fair share of flack lately from the likes of you and :wink: There is nothing wrong with being on the dark side at all but must admit that I did enjoy turning my first bowl and look forward to more. And welcome aboard Mick and you should post your pen pick over on the dark side :D (Pen Forum) it certainly look great.

Cheers Ian

Wood Nut
7th August 2013, 03:17 PM
Actually had a look at Dorno's first bowl yesterday - a great job:). Shows the benefit of joining a club and/or being shown how to turn correctly. It took me a while to convince him to join our local club, but would suggest the same to you, Snafu11 - I only wish I had done that myself 20 odd years ago.

pm if you want some information.

Cheers
Paul

Christopha
7th August 2013, 07:52 PM
Maaaate! Stick to woodturning and keep those pens at arms length (pun intended)
Them flamin' pen "turners" are a reeeaaaally weird bunch! They actually think they are woodturners too but they write about writing implements... Buncha frootloops obviously....

OK, I have my crash helmet on, have a go ya buncha pen pushers!:p:p:p:p:p

:D

;)

Dorno
7th August 2013, 08:56 PM
funny Buggers you lot just because a guy turns pens i am managing to cop all this flack :D Trust me i have a good memory and will seek revenge wood nut :)
must admit though i did enjoy turning a bowl and tomorrow will be cutlery handles i think :2tsup:

Cheers Ian (Pen Turner) :D

Sawdust Maker
7th August 2013, 11:38 PM
Mick

nice turnings

welcome to the hobby which has severe deflationary pressures on your wallet :C
and a word of warning you'll never look at a tree the same way again

and ignore the pen knockers they're just jealous that they can't write :whistling:

Beedeejay
7th August 2013, 11:47 PM
I only turn bowls so I have somewhere on the bench to put my pens!! :evillaugh::D:D:D

Drillit
8th August 2013, 09:36 AM
Hello Snafu11,
Well sorry to say, the fishing is just about all over. The turning obsession will overtake thee.
But alas, all is not lost - wooden reels, lures, handle extensions - the list goes on. Anyways,
welcome to the obsession. Your first bowl is a good job. Drillit.

SNAFU11
9th August 2013, 03:52 PM
Mick

nice turnings

welcome to the hobby which has severe deflationary pressures on your wallet :C

Ya got that right Sawdust,i went to Sydney to have a sticky at CABA-TEK a week ago and walked out $280 lighter :C...That's on top of what i spent at the Sydney Wood Show :o....Lucky i have an understanding wife who said "Well if ya need it just buy it" :U..but in the next breathe she said "When you buy what you need STOP BUYING" :C.....Paul i have said to Ian that i will have to get down there,might get there next Thursday....thanks for the kind words guys,appreciate it.....Turned up a couple of timber pens yesterday but i think i will post them up in the dark side section :roll:...Love the banter it gives us a chuckle....
P.S...Drillit..i already make timber fishing lures mate...i put some pics up in the Fishing Section

Mick!!!

Sawdust Maker
9th August 2013, 11:07 PM
...Lucky i have an understanding wife who said "Well if ya need it just buy it" :U..but in the next breathe she said "When you buy what you need STOP BUYING" :C.....

I think you're in trouble

if my wife said that I'd have a stubby and would still be in trouble :D

Homeleigh
9th August 2013, 11:30 PM
Have been dealing with Pop's Shed since they opened. Can't talk too lightly of them.

Paul39
10th August 2013, 12:28 AM
Some of us are of the opinion that if the turning is smaller than your forearm, it isn't a real turning.

Ducking behind the wall.