PDA

View Full Version : How often do you replace your bushes?

corbs
26th July 2013, 10:26 PM
It's something I've been thinking about for a while and am interested in what others are doing.

dai sensei
26th July 2013, 10:59 PM
Because I do all my sanding on Delrin bushes, no need

Nai84
27th July 2013, 12:22 AM
I now only use them to get it close to finish size about 1mm or so then I turn between centers with the bushes and do the rest with vernies :-D so probably once in a blue moon now :-)

m.t
28th July 2013, 09:45 AM
Because I do all my sanding on Delrin bushes, no need
delrin bushes??????? and were do you get them.:?

corbs
28th July 2013, 10:10 AM
While I like the idea of turning between centres but I can turn two pens (bolt actions) from start to finish at a time on the mandrel. When I have so little time in the shed with work and three kids with sport & social lives, I like to maximise my time in the shed. I threw two bolt action bushes out yesterday because they were too worn. I ended up measuring them on the vernier calipers and got rid of the ones which were too worn :)

seriola
28th July 2013, 10:43 AM
I like my bushes undersize, I shaved about 1mm off a new set yesterday. I also always use verniers anyway, the bushes let me know when I'm almost there. I can leave them in place to sand without contaminating the blank, if I need to be adding ca to stabilize pods etc they are not in the way and as I use a light wax coating on them it is out of the way too. I sometimes leave them there for my finishing ca other times use tapered cones.

dai sensei
28th July 2013, 03:15 PM
delrin bushes??????? and were do you get them.:?

You can buy Delrin, or Acetal as it is also known, from Ebay or some major suppliers in Aus. I buy it from USA in 12" lengths, or Brisbane in 1m lengths. I generally buy the 20mm rod, drill it down the centre with a 1/4" drill, then turn a cone down before parting off.

Alternatively, cut some cutting board into little squares and turn them down, they just don't last as long. See here: http://www.woodworkforums.com/f69/teflon-bushes-final-sanding-finishing-polishing-80767/