PDA

View Full Version : Playing around

powderpost
28th July 2013, 10:34 PM
This lidded bowl was the week ends exercise. Just experimenting with design and shape. It is made from Northern silky oak with lines in walnut and silver ash. The blobs are yellow walnut. I think it might look better without the foot. Will have try another one. It measures 120mm high and 160mm diameter. C and C welcome.

Jim

RETIRED
28th July 2013, 10:51 PM
I agree about the foot.

I think it may look better if the lid angled outwards or was scalloped (1/4 cove) rather than the way it is now.

corbs
28th July 2013, 11:29 PM
It looks happy :)

Mobyturns
28th July 2013, 11:46 PM
Jim, you don't muck about do you! Must have had withdrawl symptoms being away from the lathe again. Looks great, love the way you have incorporated the veneer features and the yellow walnut. Were the yellow walnut inserts done with the new toy??

powderpost
28th July 2013, 11:54 PM
Jim, you don't muck about do you! Must have had withdrawl symptoms being away from the lathe again. Looks great, love the way you have incorporated the veneer features and the yellow walnut. Were the yellow walnut inserts done with the new toy??
Yep, very happy with it to. Nice and accurate.
Jim

artme
29th July 2013, 09:11 AM
Another good experiment PP!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

I agree with the foot problem and I too think the lid isn't quit right,
but hey, where do you get if you don't try and then put it out there??/

ajw
29th July 2013, 09:17 AM
I think it's great. If you're making another one, how about doing a WIP photo journey for those of us who look at work like this and wonder how it's done? Beautiful work.

cheers,

ajw

steamingbill
29th July 2013, 10:07 AM
The blobs look good

wheelinround
29th July 2013, 10:55 AM
Jim as always leading the way.

I think no foot would make it to squat yet I feel that foot is to bulky maybe a tripod type carved foot would give it a lift :roll:

powderpost
29th July 2013, 01:13 PM
I think it's great. If you're making another one, how about doing a WIP photo journey for those of us who look at work like this and wonder how it's done? Beautiful work.

cheers,

ajw

Ok ajw, will arrange a wip.

Jim

Ad de Crom
29th July 2013, 05:11 PM
Jim, I have no criticisms, I have only admiration for your work.
This just looks fantastic, pure craftsmanship!!
Ad:2tsup:

smiife
30th July 2013, 08:23 PM
hi jim,
i think it looks great,well done!!!
i don't know if it really needs the lid as well :?
cheers smiife:2tsup:

powderpost
30th July 2013, 08:31 PM
Thanks Ad.

Interesting thought Smiife, I guess the lid is an optional extra?

Jim

TTIT
30th July 2013, 10:19 PM
............. Were the yellow walnut inserts done with the new toy??New toy! NEW TOY!!! What new toy???? Why wasn't I told???:~

Please explain? :;

PS: Nice work as usual Jim. Gotta agree the foot doesn't look right but the feet idea should work :2tsup:

powderpost
30th July 2013, 10:45 PM
New toy! NEW TOY!!! What new toy???? Why wasn't I told???:~

Please explain? :;

PS: Nice work as usual Jim. Gotta agree the foot doesn't look right but the feet idea should work :2tsup:

Bloody spies... :- Ok, ok, I confess. The old drill press had a bit of wobble. When the holes for the blobs were bored the drill pulled to one side. So I bought a new one. Now you have beaten the confession out of me... I feel better now I have come clean..ok. :o
:roflmao::roflmao:
Jim

Mobyturns
30th July 2013, 11:00 PM
Bloody spies... :- Ok, ok, I confess. The old drill press had a bit of wobble. When the holes for the blobs were bored the drill pulled to one side. So I bought a new one. Now you have beaten the confession out of me... I feel better now I have come clean..ok. :o
Jim

Cheesh you caved in easy we didn't even get to the splinters under the finger nails :oo:

hughie
31st July 2013, 09:19 AM
Jim

Confession is good for the soul my brother, go in peace. :U

wheelinround
31st July 2013, 11:58 AM
Now Jim you have been here long enough to know bragging doesn't come without photos :photo2:

Tim the Timber Turner
31st July 2013, 04:15 PM
This thread has turned out to be rather boreing:D