PDA

View Full Version : Woodfast V1000 headstock

delbs
30th July 2013, 03:14 PM
Hi guys,

I just bought an old 1989 model Woodfast V1000 lathe. really happy with it at the moment very heavy cast iron body stand alone unit. Has a Nova chuck on it and seems to run quite well.

What im wondering is where i can find a disc that will hold sanding discs that i can mount on the outside of the lathe. On the outside of the head stock it has a thread protruding out that looks like something can be attached to it. If i just measure it where is a good place to find these disc sanders? Would be great to add this type of functionality to the lathe :)

Thanks everyone!

DonIncognito
30th July 2013, 05:59 PM
Hi guys,

I just bought an old 1989 model Woodfast V1000 lathe. really happy with it at the moment very heavy cast iron body stand alone unit. Has a Nova chuck on it and seems to run quite well.

What im wondering is where i can find a disc that will hold sanding discs that i can mount on the outside of the lathe. On the outside of the head stock it has a thread protruding out that looks like something can be attached to it. If i just measure it where is a good place to find these disc sanders? Would be great to add this type of functionality to the lathe :)

Thanks everyone!

Cant you just turn a flat board and mount velcro to it?

pommyphil
30th July 2013, 06:45 PM
Check the thread, the outboard end of the spindle could be left hand ! Nice lathe :2tsup:. Phil

delbs
30th July 2013, 07:01 PM
Yeah i could i guess. Just got to find a nut for the three so i could lock it on. What do other people use this thread for?. Putting a chuck on to turn thins that get restricted by the bed?

Really happy with the old girl. Old owner kept it in really good condition. Next thing is to bolt it to the ground or a raised platforn

Pat
30th July 2013, 08:17 PM
Mount a handle or chuck for outside turning.

The handle allows you to turn a piece manually when required, easier than other methods . . . and for slowing the spindle down quicker, if equipped with asbestos hands, don't ask me how I know this.

smiife
30th July 2013, 08:32 PM
Mount a handle or chuck for outside turning.

The handle allows you to turn a piece manually when required, easier than other methods . . . and for slowing the spindle down quicker, if equipped with asbestos hands, don't ask me how I know this.

i agree with pat very handy to turn things slowly by hand
when finishing etc. all you will need is a left hand threaded bolt
and a couple of washers and turn your own custom wheel
nice pick up too!!!!!!!!!
cheers smiife:2tsup:
p.s. just noticed those brackets on the bottom,be careful not to trip on them:o:o

delbs
30th July 2013, 09:17 PM
Ah great idea. So uses of a handle is for finishing and hand turning inspecting the work or something?

Yeah I'm careful around them. Since I'm like 6'5 I'm thinking of making a base for it to be raised 100mm or so. A wide pallet style of base that i can bolt it into. Saves me bolting it into my lovely concrete slab for now.

Love that this lathe and how it has variable speed. Very handy

Pat
30th July 2013, 09:25 PM
or have a look half way down this page Woodfast Accessories (http://www.woodfast.com.au/index.php?p=1_8)

delbs
30th July 2013, 09:41 PM
or have a look half way down this page Woodfast Accessories (http://www.woodfast.com.au/index.php?p=1_8)

This is exact what I'm after. Thanks pat. Should have looked here sooner. When I trying to research the v1000 i didnt have much luck so wasn't expecting to find accessories for it :) thanks again!

Mobyturns
30th July 2013, 10:51 PM
This is exact what I'm after. Thanks pat. Should have looked here sooner. When I trying to research the v1000 i didnt have much luck so wasn't expecting to find accessories for it :) thanks again!

Should be 1" x 10 LH outboard thread if its like the M908 Woodfasts. They alos do a outboard turning platform toolrest accessory which can be retrofitted to the cabinet.

Have a look at Vermec's site for spindle adaptors http://vermec.tripod.com/PDFs/SpindleAdaptorPage.pdf which will allow you to use other accessories with differing thread size / pitches. They make to suit the male / female thread size / pitch of your choice.

ps I would be looking at removing those angle bracket feet extension from the headstock end of the cabinet, to remove / avoid a tripping hazard.

Paul39
2nd August 2013, 10:50 AM
Ah great idea. So uses of a handle is for finishing and hand turning inspecting the work or something?

Yeah I'm careful around them. Since I'm like 6'5 I'm thinking of making a base for it to be raised 100mm or so. A wide pallet style of base that i can bolt it into. Saves me bolting it into my lovely concrete slab for now.

Love that this lathe and how it has variable speed. Very handy

I am 6' 3" tall. I have a 20 inch swing short bed Woodfast that is sitting on two 6 X 6 inch pieces of pressure treated timber. It is not bolted down. Even with a big out of balance chunk of timber it just gently rocks back and forth. After it is brought to round, I increase speed and the lathe sits there like a big rock.

You could get rid of those angle irons on the bottom and put 4 X 4 or 6 X 6 timber under crossways. I would let the ends stick out about 4 inches at the head and tail ends, and 1/2 to 1 inch at the middle. I think it needs the support in the middle.

I think you will become quite fond of your Woodfast.

Evanism
3rd August 2013, 02:27 AM
Back to the original question about turning a disc and mounting Velcro backing and a pad to it, this is exactly what I intend to do....with a piece of 18mm ply and this:

305 mm dia (no hole) | The Sandpaper Man (http://www.thesandpaperman.com.au/305-mm-dia-no-hole/)

Ordering later next week.

Ev