PDA

View Full Version : Making a segmented vase

powderpost
30th July 2013, 11:30 PM
Like any project, planning is essential. The method I use does not require complicated maths. Start by drawing one half of the project on a sheet of graph paper.

Mark horizontal lines to represent the thickness of the rings. This job has 12 segment rings, therefore the angle to cut the segments will be 15 degrees (180 divided by 12). Mark vertical line to represent the width of timber needed for each ring, allow an extra 2mm each side. To one side on the graph paper draw an angle of 15 degrees. Using the second ring as an example, use a compass to mark arcs
as in the diagram. Mark vertical lines (plus 2mm). The shaded part is the actual size of each segment. Do this for all the rings.

I have used the bench saw, but you could make a wooden mitre box and cut a consistent15 degree angle. Cut 12 segments and dry fit them together with a band clamp. If the cuts are not exactly Right, use a small spacer in the opposite joints.

Make up all the rings for the project. When they are dry dress off one side flat. A sanding board is helpful here. Make one by gluing a sheet of 300mm floor sanding paper (80#) to a piece of 19mm ply 300mm wide.

By now you will have all the rings glued up, dry and with one side sanded flat. Tomorrow we will start putting it together.

Jim

hughie
31st July 2013, 08:26 AM
Jim write that book and to H... with the expert in the USA. I'll buy a copy :2tsup:

smiife
31st July 2013, 08:31 PM
hi jim,
i found that very interesting,i did not have a clue where to start:doh:
can't wait for the next installment ,you might have me hooked
thanks for the project so far
cheers smiife:2tsup:

powderpost
31st July 2013, 09:04 PM
The rings have had a day to cure, so we can now proceed. Make a copy of the graph paper onto some stiff cardboard. Cereal packets make satisfactory templates. Cut out the template for the inside. Be careful to leave the centre line on the template.

Flatten off one side of the base. Screw a disc of wood, a bit bigger in diameter than the base of vase and turn a shallow hollow in the waste block.

Using the cone centre in the tail stock to accurately locate the base disc and glue it to the waste block. This is important.

After it is dry, turn a recess in the base, this will be the inside. Check from the graph paper for the dimensions of this recess. Check the shape with the inside template. Use the centre line to locate in the recess and the cone centre in the tail stock to locate the other end. Now measure exactly the centre on the outside for two opposing segments. Do this twice so that you have four marks at 90 degrees on the outside of ring two When you are satisfied glue on ring No. 2 by locating joints in ring two with the pencil marks. Sounds complicated, but that process will make sure the joints are accurately staggered.
Turn the inside of ring 2 to the dimensions from the graph paper and to the shape of the template. Again check with the inside template locating the centre line in the centre of the base and lotace the other end with the centre cone in the tail stock. Turn the outside square to the dimensions from the graph paper, don't shape the outside yet. True up the face of ring two.

Go through the same process of centering opposing segments on ring two and glue on ring three. Turn the inside and outside of ring three the same way as for ring two. Keep checking the inside shape using the template and centres the same as before. I use a 200mm face plate on the tailstock as a press.

Repeat the process up to ring 5 which is the largest part of the lower section and let the glue set properly. Tomorrow we will build the top section and start the finishing process.
Jim

Cliff Rogers
31st July 2013, 09:53 PM
Have you done this before? :think:

powderpost
31st July 2013, 10:16 PM
Have you done this before? :think:

Naaah, read the book last night. :wink:

Cliff Rogers
31st July 2013, 10:25 PM
You could have a look at youtube, there might be some info on how to do this on there. :D

powderpost
31st July 2013, 10:43 PM
You could have a look at youtube, there might be some info on how to do this on there. :D

Oh dear!!!! I have been sprung... :-

powderpost
1st August 2013, 09:16 PM
O.K. let's continue. Now that the bottom "half" is all glued up, turn it to shape using dimensions form the graph paper and the templates. Sand it up and give it a coat of what ever you have on the shelf. True up the top edge ready for gluing later.

Outside turned to shape

Fix a second sacrificial block to a second face plate. This time you need to mark two lines at right angles to each other, exactly through the centre. Glue the very top ring to the waste block using the two lines and the glue joints, to accurately locate the ring, a very important step. Turn the hole in the middle of the ring to the dimension from the graph paper right through to the waste block. Don't be too concerned about the outside yet. Continue to build up the top section, the same way that the bottom section was made. Turn and finish the inside. Bring the two halves together to check the fit. Now glue the two sections together.

After the glue has set cut the waste block and face plate off. Now you can finish off the outside. Don't forget to check with the outside template. Give it a coat of sanding sealer and lacquer or what ever you choose. Now cut it off the wast block and admire your efforts.

Good luck...
Jim

Cliff Rogers
1st August 2013, 10:54 PM
:2tsup:

coffenup
1st August 2013, 11:10 PM
thanks for that jim gives me a insight into the laminating process you take and give me the want to try and make one myself
Regards Michael

Christos
3rd August 2013, 03:40 AM
That's a very interesting read. Thank you for posting.

smiife
4th August 2013, 06:56 PM
hi jim,
thanks for wip ,on how to,now all i need is some
spare time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:~

powderpost
4th August 2013, 07:52 PM
hi jim,
thanks for wip ,on how to,now all i need is some
spare time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:~
All good, now just go and do it. :wink:
Jjim

wheelinround
5th August 2013, 10:44 AM

Did you send Jim this Link

need to see all 4 videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_943310&feature=iv&src_vid=MH8z_CG6aZA&v=wmyf2pPQOqU

Sawdust Maker
7th August 2013, 10:05 AM
Thanks Jim

:clap:

powderpost
7th August 2013, 11:31 AM
Thanks Jim

:clap:

All good, now have a go.
Jim

wheelinround
8th August 2013, 11:54 AM
Jim an excellent WiP.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Did I miss something in reading? I will go over it again tho.
If the cuts are not exactly Right, use a small spacer in the opposite joints.

In using the wedges what do you do in bringing them together once the glue has dried?

Or do you undo sand till they match:?

In doing the segmentation work you do where small alternative wood colours are used at some stage can you do a WiP on that please. I know I have been there with you through explaining and sharing your knowledge in person but a refresher is always good.

powderpost
8th August 2013, 08:45 PM
Jim an excellent WiP.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Did I miss something in reading? I will go over it again tho.
In using the wedges what do you do in bringing them together once the glue has dried?

Or do you undo sand till they match:? Ray, yes the two halves are sanded until the fit. In reality if this happens I throw that lot out and go again. I put that in to help a beginner.

In doing the segmentation work you do where small alternative wood colours are used at some stage can you do a WiP on that please. I know I have been there with you through explaining and sharing your knowledge in person but a refresher is always good. Not sure what you want here.

Jim

wheelinround
9th August 2013, 09:27 AM
Like in this Jim where you have the lighter colour vertical wedges and those curved lighter pieces

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachments/f8/278854d1375010637-playing-around-s.oak-bowl2s.jpg

Or like this one

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachments/f8/266872d1367929631-new-old-new-bowls-002s.jpg

The one above I think you showed somewhere a How too