PDA

View Full Version : that was a bit interesting- compact chuck flew apart

tea lady
31st July 2013, 10:34 AM
Cup of tea needed after this one. Using my little compact chuck I tightened it up and started turning then.... zing crash bang. Bits of chuck everywhere. After retrieval of pieces, non from my forehead fortunately, I realized what happened. These chucks are held together by a split ring in a slot behind the tension ring thingy. It had somehow slipped out and let the back of the chuck come away from the body so all the chuck segments did the centrifugal force thing and flew out. :C All reassembled now. No harm done. But I now know what the inside of a chuck looks like. And now also own a pair of split ring pliers. And will also be keeping an eye on the split ring a bit more.

Cliff Rogers
31st July 2013, 10:44 AM
No photos? :think:

tea lady
31st July 2013, 11:18 AM
I put it back together already. :P

powderpost
31st July 2013, 11:30 AM
Some people will do anything for an adrenalin rush. :wink: Very happy no blood was spilled.

Jim

tea lady
31st July 2013, 11:51 AM
Some people will do anything for an adrenalin rush. :wink: Very happy no blood was spilled.

JimMe too.:C:U

Christos
31st July 2013, 12:03 PM
It has become very much normal for someone to ask for photos.

Me too.

Where are the photos?

joevan
31st July 2013, 04:14 PM
You are so lucky for not beeing in the flight path. Flying metal can do much more damage than airborne wood (smal pieces). What brand of chuck is it? I hope not Vickmark as I have 3 of them and 1 Teknatool.

Regards,

Joe v K.

tea lady
31st July 2013, 04:18 PM
An older nova compact chuck. The tommy bar sort.

Gra
31st July 2013, 05:36 PM
hope you were wearing your brown underpants for that one. Scary. good to hear no lasting damage

wheelinround
31st July 2013, 05:42 PM
AM glad your ok

unlike these old fella's I understand modern technology a little more forget the photos where;s the Gopro video :p

A Duke
31st July 2013, 07:19 PM
You are a brave girl TL, to put it back together and use it again. Most would have binned it after that, if they didn't give up turning all together.
Regards

DaveTTC
31st July 2013, 09:32 PM
will you demo that up here in Jerilderie next year? ;)

issatree
31st July 2013, 09:58 PM
Hi TL,
Are you saying it was the older Black Nova Chuck.
I like to clean mine every now & then, & I have one heck of a job, trying to get that Spring Clip out of the back of the chuck.
A bit of Graphite Powder goes a long way in these Chucks.

Lost a piece out of a very early Chuck, quite some time ago now, but have never found it.

ian thorn
31st July 2013, 10:01 PM
I will be checking mine and all the club ones thanks for posting pleased you are ok ( After the tea ) and the nerves have setteled

ian

chuck1
1st August 2013, 09:54 AM
wow that's scary! I never heard of that happening! good to hear it missed you! and well done getting it back together!
I have heard of them unscrewing if the Lathe is stopped to fast!

tea lady
1st August 2013, 10:33 AM
Hi TL,
Are you saying it was the older Black Nova Chuck.
I like to clean mine every now & then, & I have one heck of a job, trying to get that Spring Clip out of the back of the chuck.
A bit of Graphite Powder goes a long way in these Chucks.

Lost a piece out of a very early Chuck, quite some time ago now, but have never found it.You need a pair of "split ring pliers". They are the ones that look useless unless you know what they are for. Have to race off to work now, but will post pics later of what they look like. And the back of the chuck and stuff.

DaveTTC
1st August 2013, 01:19 PM
wow that's scary! I never heard of that happening! good to hear it missed you! and well done getting it back together!
I have heard of them unscrewing if the Lathe is stopped to fast!

I,ve had mine unscrew while the lathe is running

tea lady
1st August 2013, 06:47 PM
I,ve had mine unscrew while the lathe is runningWould usually only do that if you had reversed the spin direction. :hmm:

DaveTTC
1st August 2013, 07:04 PM
Would usually only do that if you had reversed the spin direction. :hmm:

dont have reverse, just left the lathe running while I swapped chisels , I'd do a shrug icon but none on this app and I dont know the short-cut ;)

issatree
1st August 2013, 08:15 PM
Hi Dave,
Are you using anything between the Chuck & the Head.
I just keep my Pieces Clean, & have only ever used Steel to Steel
When I want to remove my Chuck, I normally use my Knockout Bar, across the Jaws. So much easier than using my Tommy Bars, as that can Elongate the Chuck Holes in my Chuck anyway, & I can lock the Spindle, to do this.

DaveTTC
1st August 2013, 09:29 PM
Hi Dave,
Are you using anything between the Chuck & the Head.
I just keep my Pieces Clean, & have only ever used Steel to Steel
When I want to remove my Chuck, I normally use my Knockout Bar, across the Jaws. So much easier than using my Tommy Bars, as that can Elongate the Chuck Holes in my Chuck anyway, & I can lock the Spindle, to do this.

Steel to steel, though it has been suggested I use something like a large tap washer

I use a bar in the jaws too

I've had it come loose on a few occasions

issatree
2nd August 2013, 02:33 AM
Hi Again,
So what Lathe do you have Dave, & is it Variable.
My Lathe is a " Tough ", Variable now, & 3000 RPM to Zero in 3 Sec.
Never had any of my Chucks come loose though.
At a loss to know what is going on ?.

DaveTTC
2nd August 2013, 08:51 AM
the issue was on a HAFCO MC 900, now I have a NOVA 3000 (less then a week). Have not had much turning time on it yet, one project only. Noticed an immediate difference

Tim the Timber Turner
2nd August 2013, 11:42 AM
Just screwing the chuck on finger tight can lead to the chuck unscrewing when switching the lathe off.

I seen this happen a couple of times at club events.

This problem is made worse with modern variable speed lathes that have electronic braking.

A large heavy lump of wood wants to keep spinning when the brake is applied.

The safest method of mounting the chuck onto the lathe spindle is to use the tommy bar to bump it up tight onto the spindle.

I use the palm of my hand to do this. It doesn't take much force.

With my Vicmarc key chucks I use the T bar.

For big bowl blanks I use the clamp supplied with my VL300 to make sure nothing takes off for a trip aroung the workshop.

Cheers

Tim

ian thorn
2nd August 2013, 02:40 PM
I have the nova 3000 upgraded to vs i put the chuck on with a light touch metal to metal ( keep the regestering faces clean ) then tighten the grub screw I have taped into the chuck insert it dose not loosen and comes of no trouble. If you use a washer the chuck will not run true as that is what the register is for unless you get a proper made washer then there is no point as it is still metal to metal. just my 2 cents for what it's worth. A i wash my chucks in kero it leaves a nice coating on the when dry.

Ian

Cliff Rogers
2nd August 2013, 10:41 PM
Steel to steel, though it has been suggested I use something like a large tap washer...
I don't like that idea, any sort of a washer can 'pack' the chuck out from where it was supposed to seat square & true, I've heard blokes using a washer complain 'cos there expensive 'XYZ' brand chuck doesn't run true on their lathe.

The safest method of mounting the chuck onto the lathe spindle is to use the tommy bar to bump it up tight onto the spindle.

I use the palm of my hand to do this. It doesn't take much force...
I keep a small rubber mallet at the end of my lathe for this & all the cam locks, using your palm to bump it will eventually cause problems with your hand/wrist/arm.

Chesand
3rd August 2013, 08:58 AM
I see we have a "new" Cliff on here now

Cliff Rogers
3rd August 2013, 09:43 AM
I see we have a "new" Cliff on here now

I've had that since February, thought I had better update it.

Tim the Timber Turner
5th August 2013, 01:34 PM
using your palm to bump it will eventually cause problems with your hand/wrist/arm.

30 plus years and no problems yet Cliff.

Probably only 10 years left.

I might just make it.

I think a better statement would have been:

"using your palm to bump it MAY eventually cause problems with your hand/wrist/arm".
Cheers

Tim:)

Cliff Rogers
5th August 2013, 11:31 PM
Yeah well, you can lead a horse to water etc.... there are already a couple of members on here who are suffering from that sort of injury, you might be just lucky. :wink:

tea lady
6th August 2013, 10:42 AM
I think rather than your palm you need to use the fleshy lump at the base of your thumb. That's if a lump of wood isn't handy.

Still haven't takedn those picks have I? :doh: Later for sure.

Anyway, this accident had nothing to do with the chuck coming unscrewed from the lathe.

DaveTTC
6th August 2013, 02:42 PM
I think rather than your palm you need to use the fleshy lump at the base of your thumb. That's if a lump of wood isn't handy.

Still haven't takedn those picks have I? :doh: Later for sure.

Anyway, this accident had nothing to do with the chuck coming unscrewed from the lathe.

yeah amazing how easy it is to digress from the subject at hand ... my bad

ubeaut
6th August 2013, 04:01 PM
Some 30 years ago I had a 6 ft diam. piece come off the lathe when I turned it off. It ran across the shed and partly through the corrugated iron where it eventually wedged itself after it finally stopped spinning on the spot for about 10 seconds (seemed like many minutes). Scared the living daylights out of me.

Have seen a chuck explode and embed itself in the roof of a shed and another do a similar trick during a turning demo at Cranbourne a number of years ago. can vouch for that one. Both were from extending the jaws too far out of the chuck.

Had a few big bowl pieces leave the lathe during roughing-out on old style screw chucks (prior to the amazing and much copied Glaser Thread - below) Bit too heavy handed on the tools. Didn't like to dawdle. :D

Cheers - Neil :U

PS I said 6 ft diam. because it was 6 ft not a metric size. Mahogany table top that needed an extremely complex (turned) molded edge prior to carving. Needed a match after it came off the lathe but was saved and looked amazing when finished.

Colin62
6th August 2013, 06:47 PM
PS I said 6 ft diam. because it was 6 ft not a metric size. Mahogany table top that needed an extremely complex (turned) molded edge prior to carving. Needed a match after it came off the lathe but was saved and looked amazing when finished.

Was it still 6' or only 5'11" when it had been saved? :D

Sawdust Maker
7th August 2013, 09:54 AM
would have had a nice charred edge after sitting and spinning for a bit :cool: