PDA

View Full Version : looking for chisel set

inferno6688
2nd August 2013, 10:55 AM
hey guys,

looking to get myself a new set of chisels. Just for general workshop use, doing rebates, cleaning up trenches etc.

what is best value for money? hoping to stay around the $100ish mark.
what do i look for?
what do u guys suggest?
just been looking at the usual Bunnings and Carbatec sets

NCArcher
2nd August 2013, 11:02 AM
A bit of discussion here.
http://www.woodworkforums.com/f171/reasonably-priced-chisels-132119/

Claw Hama
2nd August 2013, 11:11 AM
For $100 I'd be hanging out at the markets (and or Ebay) and picking up a few good old timers. At $10 - $20 each you will get a good quality set at a reasonable price.

groeneaj
2nd August 2013, 12:21 PM
I got a set (6) of chrome vanadium chisels that are made in the same factory in china as the stanley sweethearts for $60. I am very impressed by them for what I paid. Although they have plastic handles they are excellent value for money.

Trent from Harold and Saxon had a few sets that he got from a closing woodwork school. Maybe send him an email and see if he has any left? They came sharpened and lapped and ready to put to work.

Cheers

Andy

John Saxton
2nd August 2013, 09:07 PM
Trent from Harold and Saxon had a few sets that he got from a closing woodwork school. Maybe send him an email and see if he has any left? They came sharpened and lapped and ready to put to work.

Cheers

Andy

If you could get one of those sets off of Trent you would be doing yourself a favour.

Trent has the enviable reputation of producing a quality product even those sets from a ww school would most likely to be refurbished to his very high standard and would be ready to use on delivery from him.
Whether they would be in your price range remains to be seen .

If you just want a knock about set of chisels for your shop then there has been good advice whereby you may not need to lay out too many $$$.
I am awaiting an order of bench chisels from Trent ,I guess that he will get to me in good time although he probably is flat-out trying to please everyone!

Good luck in hunting for your chisels ,I was at the WA T&WW show today and the Old Tool Preservation Society,had a complete set of Titan chisels for $95.

Cheers:)